General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim Breathing - training vs. racing Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2008-07-03 11:07 AM

User image

Subject: Swim Breathing - training vs. racing

Ok, I did a search and did not find a specific answer.  In training and in my past races I bilateral breathe on every fourth stroke.    It's pretty comfortable for me but I would like to get a little faster, especially on Race Day.  Last night I was reading the latest issue of Triathlon Magazine and a small article stated that 90% of competitive distance swimmers breathe to one side and breath every two stokes.  The article stated the reason for this is because by breathing every other stroke they are taking in more oxygen which provides more fuel for the muscles. 

My question is:  does anyone bilateral breathe in training and then breath every two strokes to one side on Race Day?  My 70.3 is 9 days away and I'm wondering if I should do a few test runs in the pool and check out this technique. 

I always thought I'd be faster and glide more by bilaterally breathing every fourth stroke, but now that I think about it, when I think back to all the triathlons I tivo'd last season, the leaders in the water always breathed to one side every other stroke.  Thoughts?

2008-07-03 11:12 AM
in reply to: #1506388

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Swim Breathing - training vs. racing
I train breathing on both sides, although 2 strokes per breath, on the right one length, and back on the left. On race day, I stay on the right, which is my natural breathing side. I learned the same thing about breathing with running. You want to burn more oxygen, so breathing more is good, as long as you are breathing deeply.
2008-07-03 11:28 AM

User image

Master

In the book Going Long, Joel Friel says to breath bilateral in training and breath to one side on race day.

Breathing to one side also makes it easier to site.  I usually do one normal breath and then one sighting breath in a race.  I breath to the left in a race (although for some strange reason when I started swimming I breathed to the right).  Occasionally, during a race, I will throw in a few bilaterals just to even things out (make sure neck doesn't get tired, etc.) but otherwise, it's to the left the whole time.

2008-07-03 12:01 PM

User image

Expert
Medina, MN
I would generally agree, that breathing every 2 strokes (i.e. one pull with each arm) in a race is a good idea. The benefits from the breathing outweigh the loss of speed from breathing, at least assuming your techinique is reasonable. I would also suggest that breathing every 4 strokes in training isn't doing you a lot of good, unless you think it helps you work on your form. The actual aspect of restricting your breathing is of little or no benefit for distance swimming, in my opinion.

When you say that you breathe bilaterally every 4 strokes, you mean you breathe on one side for a length and then switch for another length? I tend to think of "bilateral breathing" as being every 3 strokes, but I'd guess you'd get most of the benefits from doing it the other way. You might consider trying every three strokes, as this would force you to roll your body all the way back after a breath.

-Matt
2008-07-03 12:05 PM

User image

I race the way I train, to the right every two strokes.  I can go left when needed.
2008-07-03 12:30 PM
in reply to: #1506528

User image

MLJ - 2008-07-03 1:01 PM I would generally agree, that breathing every 2 strokes (i.e. one pull with each arm) in a race is a good idea. The benefits from the breathing outweigh the loss of speed from breathing, at least assuming your techinique is reasonable. I would also suggest that breathing every 4 strokes in training isn't doing you a lot of good, unless you think it helps you work on your form. The actual aspect of restricting your breathing is of little or no benefit for distance swimming, in my opinion. When you say that you breathe bilaterally every 4 strokes, you mean you breathe on one side for a length and then switch for another length? I tend to think of "bilateral breathing" as being every 3 strokes, but I'd guess you'd get most of the benefits from doing it the other way. You might consider trying every three strokes, as this would force you to roll your body all the way back after a breath. -Matt

I goofed, I meant to say I bilateral breathe every third stroke in training.  I guess Saturday morning when I swim I'll do a 500m set how I normally do them (bilateral, every third stroke) and then do a 500m set breathing every second stroke on the same side and see a.) what the time difference is and b.) how I feel.  

2008-07-03 12:36 PM

User image

Veteran
San Diego, CA

As the others have pointed out, many great distance swimmers breath every other stroke to one side or the other, and don’t switch breath.

Most sprinters on the other hand, limit the breathing to as few breaths as possible to cover the distance they are doing. Sprinters also switch breath more often to spot the competition. In a 50-meter sprint you might only take a single breath and the direction you breath would be based on what lane you were seeded in.

I would suggest there is no one right answer here for the triathlete, because everyone’s stroke is a little different. If your stroke mechanics and body position are great breathing more often can be an oxygen advantage, with very limited down side. If your lifting your head, dropping a shoulder, dragging a hand on a catch phase after breathing, you could have a problem.

Time with a distance oriented coach, and some mid distance timing drills will tell you what is right for you. Get some timed 500-yard swims in switching things up to see what works best for you.

Good luck

2008-07-03 2:34 PM

User image

New user
Like others, I bilateral breathe every 3 strokes in training, but find that during a race, probably due to the adrenaline rush, I need to breathe every 2 strokes, which side determined by sighting, wind, and waves.

I do think that I am slower when I breathe every 2 strokes, although this topic has been discussed here before. I will perform my own personal clinical trial in the pool later today.
2008-07-03 2:36 PM

User image

Mountain View, CA
I generally breathe every 3 in training (unless I'm doing a set that specifies otherwise, like every 5 or 7) and every 2 in races. Breathing on the right is most natural for me, and breathing every 2 is plenty comfortable, so I don't worry too much about not "training the way I race." If you're not used to breathing every 2, maybe do a few long sets with it in the pool to make sure you won't have any issues on race day, but you should be fine. 
2008-07-03 2:41 PM

User image

Regular
Lafayette, LA
I too breath every third stroke during training but breath every second stroke on the same side in races. I feel it keeps me fresh for exiting the water. It is important to keep the heartrate down in the water and I find breathing more often helps out.
2008-07-03 2:58 PM

Regular
WI
I usually do a combination - I breath to one side every 2 strokes 3x in a row, take 3 strokes, do the same for the other side and repeat. For me, it balances the need to breathe frequently to get enough oxygen with the need to swim in a straight line.

If I were to breathe on the same side for the entire OWS, I'd go in a big circle, which would be OK if that was how the course was shaped....

2008-07-03 2:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Mooretown, Ontario Canada
same here. Bilateral in training, every 2 on the right in races. I don't think its a big deal, but I do believe you should be comfortable breathing on either side, as sometimes conditions make it necessary to breath on the other side.

FishHog
2008-07-03 3:00 PM
in reply to: #1506539

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

ChrisM - 2008-07-03 12:05 PM I race the way I train, to the right every two strokes.  I can go left when needed.

^^^  That's what you're going for. 

I breathe to the right every two in training and racing.  If there are waves coming from the right or there is a nice shoreline I can look at on my left, then I can go left because every now and then I'll throw in a set or two in training where I breathe that direction.

2008-07-03 3:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany, NY area
Great question and informative answers. I'm still fairly new and have thought that I need to learn/practice bilateral but feel more comfortable on one-side. Now I know that it may be to my benefit too, cool! Thanks!
2008-07-03 3:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chicago
I bilateral breathe every 3 strokes in training,  every 2 to the right in race.. though as posted above being able to breathe to either side equally well is important for sighting or not sucking waves as conditions change.
2008-07-03 3:48 PM

Leawood, Kansas
I love BT! For me, this is one of the most helpful threads ever--thank you ALL.

2008-07-03 4:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Rota, Spain

I breathe to one side mainly because I have a tendency to hold my breathe when I go more than 2 strokes.  I will normally switch sides every few hundred meters (my swims are open water, very little pool work).

2008-07-04 2:43 PM

User image

Master
Lake Oswego, OR

I am a (very) good swimmer, and have done many open water races. My method may not work for everyone, but this is my routine:

In training I breath every 3 stokes during warmups, and slow sets where I am primarily working on stoke technique. When I do hard fast sets I breathe every second stroke but try to switch sides regularly. I do have a tendency to favor one side, but this can lead to tendonitis if I am not careful

When I race open water, I breathe primarily to my right side. I also find it easier to sight when I breath to my dominant (right side).

In triathlons I do not work hard on the swim. I am plenty fast, swimming a strong measured pace, so I breathe every 3rd stroke. I do double up on my dominant side when I need to sight. I come out of the water in the front of the pack and save my self for the run where I breathe as much as I can :-)

2008-07-05 7:48 AM

Thanks for all of the information on this thread!!  I have been worried about my swim and was beginning to focus on taking more strokes per breath but upon reading this thread I think that I may have changed my mind.  I will still experiment but think that I will stay on my two strokes per breath pace for race day and still take 3-6 strokes per breath practice routine to try to increase my lung capacity for training.  What does anyone think about that? 
2008-07-05 10:18 AM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA

It's good to be able to breathe to both sides.

Sometimes in a race, you can site off the shore, well, if you breathe to the right and the shore is on the left - that's not going to work.

Or, someone is right there and splashing you in the face, making waves everytime you come up to breathe.

Both situations have happened to me, and it was great just to be able to switch over and breathe on the other side.

If I'm swimming slowly (in training) and focusing on form, usually I'll breathe every 3.  Pick up the pace to a more "race pace" I'll breathe 2 on one side, then 3 strokes, then 2 on the other.  If I feel I need to, or sprinting, etc - every stroke.  The faster you go, the more air you need.

In a race, I usually start off with the 2-3-2 pattern, then switch to every 2, but that depends on the race and how hard I'm pushing.  Medium effort on the swim, I stick with the 2-3-2 pattern. 

2008-07-06 9:55 PM

User image

Dream Chaser - 2008-07-03 11:07 AM

Ok, I did a search and did not find a specific answer.  In training and in my past races I bilateral breathe on every fourth stroke.    It's pretty comfortable for me but I would like to get a little faster, especially on Race Day.  Last night I was reading the latest issue of Triathlon Magazine and a small article stated that 90% of competitive distance swimmers breathe to one side and breath every two stokes.  The article stated the reason for this is because by breathing every other stroke they are taking in more oxygen which provides more fuel for the muscles. 

My question is:  does anyone bilateral breathe in training and then breath every two strokes to one side on Race Day?  My 70.3 is 9 days away and I'm wondering if I should do a few test runs in the pool and check out this technique. 

I always thought I'd be faster and glide more by bilaterally breathing every fourth stroke, but now that I think about it, when I think back to all the triathlons I tivo'd last season, the leaders in the water always breathed to one side every other stroke.  Thoughts?

I did a tri camp recently and was videotaped swimming. The coach asked me to swim as I normally do which is naturally breathing on the right. Next he asked me to bilateral breath. It felt very weird. When I watched the video later it was very evident to me that the bilateral breathing kept my form and kept me moving constantly forward while during the unilateral breathing I actually paused during the breath. Wierd I guess. However, I know this to be true: The time 'wasted' on 'pausing' can't really be enough to make a huge difference because your body will naturally perform better if it can get rid of CO2 and get some O2.
Good luck

2008-07-06 10:23 PM

User image

Longmont, Colorado
I try to do both. I have had a lot of trouble going bilateral for long distances, maybe I am pushing too hard. I usually warm up bilateral then go one side to keep my breath for the distance. When I am training, I do every other stroke on one side but I will switch up sides every so often to be sure I can do both. I think it's important to be able to do both by themselves esp. in open water when you got people all over the place.
2008-07-07 5:56 AM

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
This thread is great because I always felt guilty for breathing only to my right side, every other stroke during races. In doing that, I am definitely more comfortable and feel like I am getting more oxygen. In my earlier races, I would try to breathe like every 3 strokes only to be out of breathe and fatigued. And we all know that when that happens in the water, during a race, it is hard to recover. Now I have good rhythm and never feel out of breathe. My times have gone down and I feel better getting out of the water. Its great to know others do the same!
2008-07-07 9:13 AM
in reply to: #1510922

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
alicia123 - 2008-07-06 10:55 PM
Dream Chaser - 2008-07-03 11:07 AM

I did a tri camp recently and was videotaped swimming. The coach asked me to swim as I normally do which is naturally breathing on the right. Next he asked me to bilateral breath. It felt very weird. When I watched the video later it was very evident to me that the bilateral breathing kept my form and kept me moving constantly forward while during the unilateral breathing I actually paused during the breath. Wierd I guess. However, I know this to be true: The time 'wasted' on 'pausing' can't really be enough to make a huge difference because your body will naturally perform better if it can get rid of CO2 and get some O2. Good luck

I noticed the same thing in my training, when I breathe to one side  every 2 strokes there is more of a pause in my stroke vs. every 3rd bilateral breathing my stroke seems more continuous.

2008-07-07 10:21 AM

User image

Buttercup

I've been bilateral breathing since I was 7, so it's merely an ingrained habit for me.

On race day, my breathing side depends on where the swim buoys are. No sense in breathing to the right when the buoys are on the left. Since bilateral breathing is 2nd nature, it's not big deal to adapt to the buoy placement.

Oh, and I breathe whenever I need the air.

Edited by Renee 2008-07-07 10:22 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim Breathing - training vs. racing Rss Feed  

of 2