General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Fat Boy Slim to 1st Tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-07-05 2:44 PM

Regular
Subject: Fat Boy Slim to 1st Tri

Hello.  Back in late April I introduced myself has the professional Couch King that finaly took my own words "What are you waiting for" to heart.  It has been a very interesting trip these past few months.  On April 21st I walked out of my house and managed a 30min walk.  I was 269lbs, couldn't run beyond 100 yards, and the only water I'd been in was my morning shower. 

Well, that was then...  I started an exercise program using a Body-Solid multi-exercise machine that I bought 4yrs ago for my son whom is now in college.  In order to get my cardio work going I purchased a good "spinning-class" style exercise bike and started putting in some good quality ride time.  Over time I'm using the walk-run process to get up to a consistent 5k run.  My weekly program is more of a rotation of exercise types.  What I do is cycle my taining days with rest days.  It works like this.  I'll do a full body exercise weight training program on day 1.  Day 2 I'll ride 45min to an 1hr.  Day 3 is my 30min walk-run, and Day 4 is a full rest day.  I cycle this rotation over and over.  On weekends I'll put a greater emphysis on being outdoors for longer bike rides or walk-runs.  I'll also add swimming to the weekends.  This type of program allows me to get a very good 1hr workout in regardless of my professional or personal schedule.  I also like the idea that by rotating in this way I'm never training the same way on the same day of each week, this seems to keep things sort of new and fresh.  One big thing that I've done is no to use any type of iPod or MP3 while training.  I'll talk to myself and find ways of keeping my mind motivated.  Since you cannot use those on the day of the event, training the same way as actually allowed me to find a bit more push from inside.

The results; well the biggest is a drop of 30lbs since April 21st, along with the drop in ave blood pressure.  I can also now see me not only trying to run a sprint tri, but actually being able to finish.  My 1st Triathlon is on Aug 16th.  1/2 mile swim, 20mile bike, and a 5k run.  I'm still working on being able to run a full 5k without stopping.  Even at 239 I'm finding that my 5'9" frame is still trying to deal with all that mass bouncing up and down.  I'll get there... I know I will.

I just want to thank the many people that contribute to this site.  The information is wonderful and I have been able to learn a great deal.  Thank you all so much.

Looking forward to calling myself a Triathlete on Aug 16th !!!!!!!!!!

2008-07-05 3:12 PM
in reply to: #1509442

User image

Extreme Veteran
Herriman, Utah
Subject: RE: Fat Boy Slim to 1st Tri
Wow, your story sounds very similar to mine, so I'll be interested to see how you keep on keeping on. Great job! I like your attitude and approach. I tried the Michael Pates 22-week couch-to-sprint program, but it soundsl like you have a solid plan so stick to it and you'll finish, no doubt!

If you get bored, here's a story about my first triathlon:

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,700231799,00.html%3Fpg%3D...

Thanks for posting. And I didn't check your logs, but if you haven't started them -- start logging your training sessions on this website. It's invaluable info and fun to look at as you progress (I started logging a few months after I started, and I wish I would've started sooner).
2008-07-05 11:42 PM

Champion
No excuses!
great job so far, Aug 16th is coming fast, keep up the good work!
2008-07-08 6:54 PM

User image

Expert
Hatboro, PA
Great job!
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Fat Boy Slim to 1st Tri Rss Feed