General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike helmet questions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-01-23 9:25 PM

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
Subject: Bike helmet questions
I guess this old dog has to learn another new trick. I've never owned one, or paid much attention to them, but it seems bike helmets are required equipment at triathlons. I've started to look and see a huge spread in the prices. What features are important in a helmet, or what makes the expensive ones cost more? How much helmet should I be looking for? Any tips or hints would be appreciated.

2005-01-24 12:15 AM
in reply to: #107516

User image

Regular
St. Louis, Mo.
Subject: RE: Bike helmet questions

I'mm 99.9% sure that all helmets are rated the same way and either they pass or fail.  There aren't multiple grades of helmets.  Maybe someone else could chime in here.

My helmet was pretty darn cheap (blew my cash on the bike, shoes, clothes, rack, bottles, tools, yada yada yada).  It doesn't cover the bump in the back of my head.  I'm pretty sure the inside of the bump is my brain.  The more expensive helmets look like they go down further and cover up the bump.Mine covers the top of the bump but not the bottom. 

You want something thats plastic coated as it slides as opposed to styrafoam that will catch on the ground and split appart.  The helmets with more vents are more expensive.  Mine has 11 on top and 4 in the back and was about $45.  On group rides everyone else has expensive helmets and I admire them.  One day.  Hope this helps.

2005-01-25 3:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Broomfield, Colorado
The differences pretty much amount to weight and ventilation.

The more expensive the helmet, the lighter it is and typically has more ventilation holes. It's sort of an inverse relationship - the more you pay, the less you get. Most more expensive helmets are more adjustable, too. The expensive helmets don't just use foam pads to make it fit your head. The higher end helmets have a system that adjusts the circumference of the helmet to your head for the best fit. Your best bet is to find a good shop and try a bunch of lids and buy the one that fits the best. Especially if it looks cool!

All helmets, however, are required to provide minimum levels of protection, so safety is not related to price.
2005-01-25 7:41 PM

User image

Expert
White House, TN
I shelled out the big cash for a Giro Pneuma, which was essential for dealing with summer humidity. I LOVE it. It was a lot of cash for a helmet, but as I like to say, "It's more not-helmet than helmet." The extra ventilation is definitely worth the extra money. I had a cheaper helmet before and it made me sweat like anything. I vote for the more expensive, less helmet helmet.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike helmet questions Rss Feed