General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ironbabe Tri 8/17 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-07-07 7:21 PM

User image

Austin
Subject: Ironbabe Tri 8/17
Just wondering if anyone is going to this. I did it last year and had a blast, great course and goodies.

2008-07-23 9:26 PM
in reply to: #1513105

New user

Subject: RE: Ironbabe Tri 8/17

YES.  I am so excited!  It is my first TRI.  I am a runner and swimmer, still working on the bike part!  Do the ladies get CRAZY?  Meaning kicking, swimming over you ,etc?

Hope to see you!  I will be in the "ROCK STAR" Swimsuit (pink and black)

2008-07-25 8:10 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spring TX
I did the Ironbabe mini-sprint on Mother's Day as my first tri and it was great. I was hoping to do this one but will be out of town that weekend. Have a great time and good luck!
2008-07-27 6:08 PM

User image

The Woodlands, TX

How is the swim?

I haven't done a tri yet and although I would really like to do this Aug 17th, the OWS freaks me out. I'm thinking I should start a tri with a pool swim. But I don't know, looks like a lot of fun (other than the swim anyway).

2008-07-28 6:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spring TX
There was actually a cool front that blew through on Mother's Day and I woke up at 4:00am to thunder and lightening. The water was REALLY rough and nasty brown. We watched for over 30 minutes as the kayaks tried to place the bouys and couldn't get anywhere. They finally had to use a motor boat to get the bouys placed. I've talked to several women since that had done the Ironbabe for several years who told me they had never seen the water that rough. (I did feel very safe as they had plenty of lifeguards actually in the water hanging on to the swim line with their floats making sure everyone was OK). The bike was between two parks and the run was in Deusshen Park, so both were very enjoyable, especially after the relief I felt after the swim. I had practiced an open water swim before hand and was surprised that I got a little panicky with the swim during my practice swim, so I was already prepared for that feeling. I'd definitely be doing it again if I wasn't going out of town. One thing to think about, ifyou are feeling uncomfortable about this being your first tri and it being in open water, there is a minisprint (Stephanie Johnson) with a pool swim on September 7th up in Spring.
2008-08-11 1:17 PM

User image

Regular
Katy, TX (west of Houston)
I'll be there!  Is the water pretty nasty, then?  Last year I did Irongirl in Irving and had such a blast with the hills, and it was fun seeing lots of familiar faces.  I got high-fived by Desiree Ficker, too cool.  I don't know much about this race, it sounds good though.  Irongirl was pretty well balanced as far as beginners and experienced racers, is this true of Ironbabe also?

2008-08-11 2:09 PM

User image

Austin
The swim is the average lake swim...not too clear but not too cloudy. The bike has a few rolling hills. The run wasn't partcular memorable to me, so it must be 'average.'

Word of warning: leave extra early to get there. The race starts at 7am but the location is seriously out in BFE and you will more-than-likely get lost.

2008-08-11 2:56 PM
in reply to: #1594908

Veteran
TEXAS
Gee I did not realize I lived in BFE. The race site is 2 miles from my front door.
Take BeltWay 8 (Sam Houston Parkway) to West Lake Houston Parkway. There are fountains for Summerwood there as well. Head North East for approximately 2+ miles or two stop lights. Turn right by the Fire Station/ Shell intersection (Deussen Parkway). Go about mile and a half Park Entrance is on your left.

Must be really cool to live in Austin not BFE.

The run is dead flat with some shade. Bike is flat with exception of one climb out of Eisenhower Park, fairly shady ride.

My wife will be racing as will many friends who live in the area or BFE according to Austin people.
2008-08-11 4:14 PM
in reply to: #1595069

User image

Master
Katy, TX (West of Houston)

duutri - 2008-08-11 2:56 PM Gee I did not realize I lived in BFE. The race site is 2 miles from my front door. Take BeltWay 8 (Sam Houston Parkway) to West Lake Houston Parkway. There are fountains for Summerwood there as well. Head North East for approximately 2+ miles or two stop lights. Turn right by the Fire Station/ Shell intersection (Deussen Parkway). Go about mile and a half Park Entrance is on your left. Must be really cool to live in Austin not BFE. The run is dead flat with some shade. Bike is flat with exception of one climb out of Eisenhower Park, fairly shady ride. My wife will be racing as will many friends who live in the area or BFE according to Austin people.

Wait a minute, I thought we lived in BFE.....now i am sooo confused.....

Mrs Fish will be there, hoping not to get lost.....See ya there

2008-08-12 2:11 PM

User image

Austin
Hey BFE isn't bad I actually enjoyed the drive out there....even when I lived in Central Houston last year it still almost took me an hour to get there.

I guess we shall name it more appropriately 'North Houston.'
2008-08-20 5:08 AM
in reply to: #1594908

User image

Regular
Katy, TX (west of Houston)
You were so right, it was in BFE!  There wasn't an east Beltway 8 exit.  We got there in plenty of time though.  It was a good, not great race.

2008-08-20 8:29 AM

New user

college station
This was my first tri. Some friends and I did it for the first time, and really enjoyed it. The swim was scary because there was 0 vis., the water was a bit choppy, and I swallowed a bunch of water when I first got in Embarassed. The bike ride was gorgeus! Really a beautiful place. The run was not very memorable. Overall, I think I would do it again next year afte I get a couple of more tris under my belt!
2008-08-20 2:48 PM

User image

The Woodlands, TX

Thanks for the race report. I'd like to do it next year, but decided I probably wasn't ready for the swim. I'm hoping I'll be ready for Cinco Ranch Sept 21st.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ironbabe Tri 8/17 Rss Feed