General Discussion Triathlon Talk » timex gps - ave speed is out of whack Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-01-24 7:47 PM

User image

Regular
St. Louis, Mo.
Subject: timex gps - ave speed is out of whack
my timex gps said the ave speed on my bike was considerably different than my cyclometer. The cyclometer correctly said the ave speed was 16.7* and the timex said 12.5*. The other features were all very similar except for this. I thought it may be the battery but since the top speed and distance were spot-on I ruled that out. Any ideas?* (speed footnote) - today I did my hill workout so the speeds are slightly lower than normal. Except the max speed which is so much fun. Today as I was coasting along a very small bird flew about 2" over my front wheel and blew by about 6" from my knee. I thought he was going to be minced out the other side of the wheel but fortunatly he pulled up and averted the unthinkable. Thank you little birdie.

2005-01-24 10:57 PM
in reply to: #107896

User image

Veteran
Peoria AZ
Subject: RE: timex gps - ave speed is out of whack
Would love to post about the GPS unit but I'm still trying to save to purchase. What I did want to comment on though was the bird...and just what would happen to a biker who had a bird try to fly through the spokes?
2005-01-24 11:36 PM
in reply to: #107952

User image

Regular
St. Louis, Mo.

Casey - I don't have a traditional spoke pattern so chances are at a lower speed he could have theoreticaly made it.  I think I was coasting along at 38mph so he wouldn't have a chance. 

My recommendation for a gps system is the garmin forerunner 301.  I waited and waited for it to come out and the date kept getting pushed back.  I got impatient and bought the Timex BodyLink about 6 weeks before the 301 finally came out.  Recently I've seen some of the charts and other features and it is so cool; had I known it could do that I would have kept on waiting.  Hopefully this experience taught me a lesson.   

2005-01-24 11:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Peoria AZ
How true how true...I was just mentioning to somebody the other day how important it is to "sleep" on our purchases (so to speak). So many times in my life have I rushed a purchase. Sorry to have hijacked your thread...

good luck, God speed!
2005-01-25 6:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Germantown, MD
Dave, you said the distance and time were equal b/w GPS and your bike computer? I would think if both of those were equal then avg speed would too (dist/time). Sounds like it may be a software issue. Have you contacted Timex?
2005-01-26 12:06 AM
in reply to: #108270

User image

Regular
St. Louis, Mo.
The time was within 15 seconds and the distance was within .1mile and the top speed was 1/2mph off.  The ave speed was 4+mph off which was wierd.  I was thinking about the software also.  I haven't gotten to use it since but hopefully a reboot will fix it otherwise I'm going to the watch store immediatly after my workout. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » timex gps - ave speed is out of whack Rss Feed