General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Socks/No Socks- Training v. Racing Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-07-10 8:12 AM

Veteran
Windsor, Ontario via the Detroit Tunnel
Subject: Socks/No Socks- Training v. Racing
I am doing a tri in 10days that is 375m swim, 6mile bike, then 2mile run, but you do it twice. Because I have to perform the transitions two times, I was not planning on wearing socks. Last night i did my brick without socks and started to get a blister on the instep of one foot. Should i try and continue to train for the next week without socks to toughen the area or let it heal and just gut it out during the race? I have heard of using body glide on the heal of the shoe, but would you use it on the instep? I think it would cause the foot to slide in the shoe. Anyone use "second skin" spray to prevent blisters on high friction area's?
Thanks in advance for the advice.
Tim

2008-07-10 8:21 AM
in reply to: #1519651

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan
Subject: RE: Socks/No Socks- Training v. Racing
If you normally wear socks in training and have a race in 10 days, I'd say it's to late to change up at this point and you need to get healed up for your race. Sounds like you may end up with miserable feet if you try to "toughen them up" between now and then. If it was earlier in the season I'd say go for it since you'd have time to gradually toughen the feet up.

I always wear socks and found a pair of Smart Wool and Under Armor socks that work well for getting on easy enough in T1 and never practiced going sockless. I've thought about trying it but haven't took the plunge yet.
2008-07-10 9:28 AM

User image

SC
I'd say that if you developed a blister on your trial run/brick then you may want to use socks. Did it develop on the run or the bike. I've heard of many ppl that come out of the water and go straight to the bike with no socks, by the time the bike is over their feet are dry and then they go to the socks for the run.

Personally I wear socks during training and then switch to no socks about a week or two out when my training starts getting specific to my race. However, I've never developed blisters doing this and if I did I'd say socks is a must.

I'd just have two pair of socks ready to rolll and sacrafice a little time for the comfort and the not having to worry about blisters. After the first run strip off the first pair and do your swim, come out of the water and put on the fresh pair for the second half of the race. If you put them on and then roll them off so the roll is and inch or two from the toe they'll go on even weet feet fairly easily and quickly.

Blisters are no fun during a race and could develop into a pain that could cause you to not finish, even a short distance race. I'd say if you're not planning on finishing on the podium (and maybe even if you are) it's not worth the risk of blisters.

Go to the backyard and soak your feet with the garden hose, run about 30-40 feet and then drop down and practice putting on socks, you'll see that with little practice there's not much time loss.
2008-07-10 11:57 AM

User image

Champion
two things about socks and training. one, most of the time after a few runs if you have well fitting shoes blisters will stop. you will get a caulous and it will harden up.

also in races, my first season i NEVER trained without socks, but raced without them, a little baby powder in your shoes goes a long way.

i now never train with socks for the bike or run, and could not be happier.
2008-07-10 1:56 PM

User image

Expert
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
I never train with sock during the bike, and 1/2 the time with the run.  But during races I don't wear them at all.  At this point, maybe go for a brick without them and see what happens.  I've had good luck with putting a little bodyguide on the inside of my running shoes, never had an issue.  Good luck!
2008-07-10 2:01 PM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

If you're getting blisters now, then stick with the socks.

I typically run any tri with a 10k run or less w/o socks, BUT... I always have them in transition just in case.  They came in handy in a race back in June when I cut my foot in T2.

2008-07-10 2:25 PM

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro

I always wear socks during run training (about 50% of the time on the bike).  I never wear socks during the bike leg of races of any distance.  The only time I wear socks on the run is for an IM.  The time it takes to put socks in T2 is not worth giving up to the field (at least for the finish placing I'm shooting for) for HIM and under.  I'll often get a small blister in a HIM but its worth the gamble to me.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Socks/No Socks- Training v. Racing Rss Feed