General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Du-ing the Du Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-07-10 9:44 AM

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
Subject: Du-ing the Du
Due to lingering issues from the severe flooding we had in Wisconsin weeks ago, my favorite Sprint Tri has been changed to a Du. They swapped out the 460-yard swim for a 1.5 mile run at the start (hardly a fair trade, IMO-- I'd much rather swim.)

I've never done a Du before. So, what little tips can you offer so I can perform my best? The race is Sunday, so it's too late to really train any differently.

2008-07-10 9:50 AM
in reply to: #1519975

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Du-ing the Du

Ugh

from a tri to a du?

i'd say don't change anything in your training if you plan to continue doing Tri's

(not on this short notice)

you may also want to take it easier than normal on the first leg so you don't mess up your bike

good luck, whatever you do... 

2008-07-10 10:34 AM

User image

Master
Robbinsville NJ
I did a DU as my 1st race this year. My initial run was longer (4.2 miles) than yours but I found that the 1st run took a lot more out of my legs than I thought it would and I didn't hydrate properly before or during that run. It ended up costing me on the bike/2nd run.

I would say depending on your fitness level definitely run well within yourself on that 1st leg so you can push the last 2.
2008-07-10 10:40 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Run the opening leg at the same pace you think you can run the final one (same pace as if it were a tri).
2008-07-10 11:50 AM

User image

Expert
Colorado Springs, Colorado

Looking at your logs it appears that the run may be your weakness, and the bike is your strength. More than likely your biking legs are strong enough to handle a max effort on the first run. I'm guessing this is a sprint distance, so go all out throughout the race. Sprints are too short to hold anything back. That run after the bike is going to hurt regardless of what you do on the first run, so you may as well go as fast as you can.

Not that you can do anything before this race, but it appears you really aren't doing enough running to get stronger. My first year - at age 45 - I was told I would need to run at least 30 mpw to have solid improvements on the run. At the time that seemed like a huge amount of running, but now at age 52 it seems like not very much.

FWIW, I won the overall at a sprint du at the age of 48 based on my biking and not being so weak on the run that I lost huge amounts of time. I had two respectable runs and crushed everyone on the bike.

Go for it. You may be pleasantly surprised at how well you do.

2008-07-10 12:14 PM
in reply to: #1520401

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
Donskiman - 2008-07-10 11:50 AM

Looking at your logs it appears that the run may be your weakness, and the bike is your strength. More than likely your biking legs are strong enough to handle a max effort on the first run. I'm guessing this is a sprint distance, so go all out throughout the race. Sprints are too short to hold anything back. That run after the bike is going to hurt regardless of what you do on the first run, so you may as well go as fast as you can.

Not that you can do anything before this race, but it appears you really aren't doing enough running to get stronger. My first year - at age 45 - I was told I would need to run at least 30 mpw to have solid improvements on the run. At the time that seemed like a huge amount of running, but now at age 52 it seems like not very much.

FWIW, I won the overall at a sprint du at the age of 48 based on my biking and not being so weak on the run that I lost huge amounts of time. I had two respectable runs and crushed everyone on the bike.

Go for it. You may be pleasantly surprised at how well you do.

Well, in my case, my logs lately are very deceiving. I recently hired a coach and did VO2 Max tests which drastically altered my training zones. This has slowed my pace waaaaaaay down lately and subsequently greatly reduced my training mileage while actually increasing my training time. This is in prep for doing HIMs later in the season and building toward a full IM.

According to the race results, my run is actually my relative strength. At my last Sprint in June, I did the 5K in about 22:30, and regularly finish typical Sprint distance (1/4-mile swim, 16-mile bike, 5K run) in about 1:20.

I guess what I'm looking for is pacing tips on the first run, tips for the T1 transition (which I've never done before), any modifications to nutrition, anything I should anticipate being different on the bike after the run, etc. Thanks!

Edited by scoobysdad 2008-07-10 12:15 PM

2008-07-10 5:54 PM
in reply to: #1520509

User image

Expert
Colorado Springs, Colorado

scoobysdad - 2008-07-10 11:14 AMI guess what I'm looking for is pacing tips on the first run, tips for the T1 transition (which I've never done before), any modifications to nutrition, anything I should anticipate being different on the bike after the run, etc. Thanks!

Here's the advice. Go out hard, when it hurts speed up. The first run is so short there is no need for pacing. Practice the run to bike transition with this simple brick workout. 1 mile run, 3 mile bike - repeat 2-4 times. Because I don't have to negotiate my way through a transition area, when I do this workout I can generally make the switch between modes in less than 30 seconds. There is no rest between sets - just one continuous workout as many times through as you can handle. Your nutrition should be no different than if you were doing a tri of this distance.

Have fun!

2008-07-10 7:08 PM
in reply to: #1521547

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
Donskiman - 2008-07-10 5:54 PM

scoobysdad - 2008-07-10 11:14 AMI guess what I'm looking for is pacing tips on the first run, tips for the T1 transition (which I've never done before), any modifications to nutrition, anything I should anticipate being different on the bike after the run, etc. Thanks!

Here's the advice. Go out hard, when it hurts speed up. The first run is so short there is no need for pacing. Practice the run to bike transition with this simple brick workout. 1 mile run, 3 mile bike - repeat 2-4 times. Because I don't have to negotiate my way through a transition area, when I do this workout I can generally make the switch between modes in less than 30 seconds. There is no rest between sets - just one continuous workout as many times through as you can handle. Your nutrition should be no different than if you were doing a tri of this distance.

Have fun!

Thanks, Don!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Du-ing the Du Rss Feed