General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Body-Dolphin and Core Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-01-25 9:40 AM

User image

Philadelphia, south of New York and north of DC
Subject: Body-Dolphin and Core
I'm studying a Total Immersion video in preparation for getting back to the pool in two weeks.

I've never swum a butterfly. Does it make sense to learn it? It seems like it would be good for developing core strength if nothing else.

From watching the TI DVD it seems doable for me.

2005-01-25 10:33 AM
in reply to: #108047

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: Body-Dolphin and Core

Hey Don,

IMO the fly can be a fun stroke (assuming you can do it) for variety and a little "cross-training" in the pool.  As you know, I do some non-free sets in Masters frequently, though my fly is fun only for those watching and needing a good laugh at 5:30am.  The fly is not an easy stroke to do and will not make you better in a tri as far as I can tell. 

I'd put it on the backburner for now and maybe put it on your list of things to try in the future.

2005-01-25 10:36 AM

User image

Master
Harvard, Illinois
If you can learn butterfly it can be a very rewarding workout. When I was on the high school swim team it was my weakest stroke. It gave me a great workout though. It was hard to get the timing down with the hips for me. You may have to have a coach or someone who knows the stroke to help you with pointers.

Mike
2005-01-25 12:20 PM

User image

Expert
Iowa

If you're asking whether learning butterfly would be a good thing for triathlon training, I'd say skip it. I'm not questioning that you might find it fun, or even a good workout. I just think there are enough other pertinent things to do in the pool that will lead to better triathlon times than butterfly. As for a core workout, it might in fact contribute to core strength, but not as effcicently as land-based, core-specific workouts. You've only got so much time, I'd say stay focused on routines that have the highest payoff. Good luck.

2005-01-25 7:29 PM
in reply to: #108112

User image

Veteran
Core strength is not a the limiter for butterfly, strength and aerobic fitness is. Even competitive swimmers groan when a set of 200's fly is handed down by the coach. It's a tough stroke to do well, even tougher to become comfortable with it. I agree. An interesting exercise but not particularly useful for triathlon swimming unless you're at the elite level and are looking for something to torque you in the pool
2005-01-25 9:23 PM

User image

OK, thanks everyone.  It seems like doing more crunches will take care of working the core and with a lot less effort.

2005-01-26 12:52 AM

User image

Expert
MD
If you think it would be fun to learn butterfly, by all means go ahead and do it. It is a very fun stroke once you get the mechanics down. It's a challenge to learn, and a challenge to swim so get some personal coaching - I doubt you'd have much success from just videos.

The dolphin kick by itself, however, is an excellent exercise in the water, and you are right - it is great for building core strength. I often choose to use dolphin kick during stroke drills, balance drills, and/or kicking drills.
2005-01-26 1:19 AM

User image

Don, I agree with econway,,,,, incorporate it, but it's a hard stroke energy wise.  I find that 4 25s total during a workout is about all I can do and still get 3000 in.

Chris
2005-01-28 10:20 AM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
I"m jaded because butterfly was my stroke in Jr. High. I find it very fun to do, and once it "clicks", it's not hard at all, it's mostly a matter of timing and using your dolphin kick to help time your arms leaving the water. I've never watched the TI butterfly drills, but I plan on doing it.

IN the big picture, triathlon's are part of enjoying life. If you want to learn it, think it sounds like fun, then by all means do it. I am a big proponent of the idea that any sort of mind-muscle connection that you make will benefit you in all other areas. Maybe not specifically make your freestyle perfect, but you will learn things from it that may help your swimming, or maybe it will just make you a better person in general!
2005-01-28 10:39 AM

User image

Elite
Chicago

At the risk of thread hijacking:

Swimming a variety of strokes will make you a better swimmer.  However, I never do the butterfly because I'm a freggin' uncoordinated fool, but also it tweaks out my muscle that lines my spinal cord everytime I do it...so I don't do it.

I work backstroke and breast into my workouts regularly (per my coach) because it will make me a stronger freestyle swimmer.

But before any of you folks start flammin on me again about:

• "how can doing the back stroke make you a better front crawler?"
  • "TTB preaches specificity..."
  • "The more I swim freestyle the better I get at freestyle....why do other strokes"

Just remember, things are not always as obvious as we may like them to be and Terry Laughlin is with this school of thought too.

2005-01-28 12:17 PM
in reply to: #109551

User image

AdventureBear - IN the big picture, triathlon's are part of enjoying life. If you want to learn it, think it sounds like fun, then by all means do it. I am a big proponent of the idea that any sort of mind-muscle connection that you make will benefit you in all other areas.

Well that's where I'm coming from...

Steve- - Swimming a variety of strokes will make you a better swimmer.

and that's what I'm thinking...

For now, I'm going to heed the other advice and pay attention to what is right before me. I have my hands full getting up to speed on working tri training into my life. So I do need to prioritize.

I'm psyched from watching the TI DVD. It's been over ten years since I swam regularly, so I'm going to take at least a month and just work on TI drills for freestyle and crawl.

I'm thinking that after this season is over, it might be a good idea to learn the fly and the TI breast. The dolphin-body just looks like a great workout for the core and a great way to learn some new coordination.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Body-Dolphin and Core Rss Feed