General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Old Separated Shoulder Injury Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-07-11 10:16 AM

User image

Expert
Chicagoland
Subject: Old Separated Shoulder Injury
I suffered a pretty bad separated shoulder about 10 years ago.  Every once in awhile it acts up but recently it has been doing it more than usual.  I noticed that when I am bench pressing (not a lot) or some shoulder excerecise, I feel weakness in that area and I can't sleep on that side (right) because it feels as though it is pinching.  Strange.  Should I see a doc or is it something I can work out on my own?

2008-07-11 8:48 PM
in reply to: #1522724

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Old Separated Shoulder Injury

TeddieMao - 2008-07-11 11:16 AM I suffered a pretty bad separated shoulder about 10 years ago. Every once in awhile it acts up but recently it has been doing it more than usual. I noticed that when I am bench pressing (not a lot) or some shoulder excerecise, I feel weakness in that area and I can't sleep on that side (right) because it feels as though it is pinching. Strange. Should I see a doc or is it something I can work out on my own?

I'd recommend you see an orthopedic surgeon, one who specializes in athletes (ask the local tri club for names)- many of their athlete cases are not actually surgical but send-the-patient-to-physical-therapy type of case or a sports medicine doctor.  At the very least, they will likely want to take x-rays, and maybe an MRI to see what's going on in there.  You may be sent for PT.  I'm currently going to PT for a recent (minor) shoulder separation injury-others have told me that some of the exercises I'm doing there are going to be ones I am going to have to do at times, when the shoulder acts up again- I guess they keep everything tight.  But first see the doctor so you can know exactly what is going on as there is always a possibility with any injury of there being other related issues down the road. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Old Separated Shoulder Injury Rss Feed