General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hip injury Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-02-23 11:28 AM

Subject: Hip injury
Hi everyone, does anyone know if Iliotibial Band Syndrome is the cause of my aching hips? If and when I overtrain it isn't my knees that hurt its my hips. If there are any runners and or women that experience this could you let me know? Natasha

2004-02-23 11:42 AM
in reply to: #8911

User image

Resident Matriarch
N 43° 32.927 W 071° 24.431
Subject: RE: Hip injury
Hi Natasha, it could be caused by so many different things, and while we have lots of great ideas floating around here, I would still suggest that you see your doctor to determine the cause of your pain. I hope you findout what it is!
2004-02-23 5:58 PM
in reply to: #8913

User image

Veteran
Illinois
i would have to agree with Ellen.... it could be anything from shoes, form, or physical stuff.

lots of luck with the pain.... don't ignore it- nothing is too minor to get it looked at. it could lead to other issues- good luck, let us know how it goes.

milly
2004-02-23 5:59 PM
in reply to: #8911

User image

Elite

Hi Kim,

ITB usually is a pain on the outside of the knee.  The muscle runs from the top of your hip (ilium) to the knob on the top outside of the shin bone (tibia).  The tendon on the lower end slides back and forth over the knee as you run.  If irritated by too much running, it hurts. 

There are some good stretches for ITB.  Lie on your back with knees up and feet flat on floor.  Cross one leg/ankle across the other leg above the knee.  Use your leg to push the crossed leg toward your chest.  For even more pull, reach down to the underneath leg with both hands and pull toward your chest.  Hold for about 20 seconds each leg.  Do each leg twice or three times.

I think your hip pain is something else, but you did not give enough of a description to offer an alternative.  I am not a doctor but I like using search engines.  There are lots of sports medicine sites that match symptoms with syndromes for you.   I will remind you and myself that someone who tries to doctor themselves has a fool for patient.  If the pain is minor and rest fixes it, you can doctor yourself a bit.  When rest doesn't make the pain go away and stay away when you return to running, then it is time to see a real doc.  A doc who runs is the best because he/she may be able to help with the running mechanics and training program too.

Bye now.

TW

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hip injury Rss Feed