General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training time limits possible for me? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-07-12 10:16 AM

New user
Subject: Training time limits possible for me?

Hello all, I have recently become aware of a half marathon being held in a months time that I would love to have a go at.

My question is, is it feasible to train effectively to prepare for this with 4 weeks training time?

The longest I have *ever* ran is around 16km, and I quite often do about a 10km distance. Running isnt really my strong point, but I think I could benefit from the training if I had a race to aim towards.

I am definitely not looking for a placing, I just would like to experience a race (never ran in a race before).

On the same day they also have a 10km distance... would it be wiser to take it easy for my first race on the 10km, and then look around for a longer distance race at a later date which I can have longer to prepare for? 

2008-07-12 10:26 AM
in reply to: #1524786

User image

Master
Dothan, Al
Subject: RE: Training time limits possible for me?
I, personally would not do my first race as a 1/2 Marathon. Tht is just my opinion, nothing more, nothing less.  Try a local 5 K, or maybe even a 10 K. if ypu do decide to run it, take it easy and lsow, and just enjpy it.
2008-07-12 11:12 AM

User image

Regular
Maple Ridge
Was the 16km recent mileage? If so think back to how you felt and if you could have gone on. Those last couple Km of a half can be tough. You could always go for it and then try not to push to hard ~ maybe run/walk it if it is something you really want to do. If the 16km wasn't recent I would suggest going with the 10k for your first race.

Good luck

Melissa
2008-07-12 4:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Golden, CO

If all you are looking to do is complete that race, you should be fine.  With 4 weeks to go, you could run 18 km and 20 km as your long run for the next 2 weeks and then start cutting back the mileage in preperation for the race.  I would run the first 15k of the race at about the same pace you are doing your long runs now, then if you are feeling OK, pick up the pace and give it what ever you have left.

Good luck.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training time limits possible for me? Rss Feed