General Discussion Triathlon Talk » new any advise is appreciated Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-07-13 3:05 AM

Subject: new any advise is appreciated

hey eveyone, so i have give myself exactly 100 days to be ready for my first olympic dist tri.  I registered as athena... at 5'11 and muscular  I will never be under the weight class even if i wasn't a little over target weight!  So, the only bikeing I have done since I had my 3 kids is spin class 3-4 days a week and I did a mile swim the other day to try it out and it too 35min.  Running is my nemisis and kinda still hurts since getting a screw in my foot last sept... but working on getting used to the ouch.  So, any training advise, equipment advise (can i wear jog bras, need 2 to run in under wetsuit), bike training tips (outside of spin class) sage wisdome?  Is there a large group (no pun intended) of athena / clydesdale contentions at races... or am I gonna stick out like a sore thumb? Should I have set my first race as a sprint?  I am pretty strong and can pretty much muscle my way through anything through either determination or stupidity

thanks, Heather

2008-07-13 11:56 AM
in reply to: #1525447

User image

Elite
Venture Industries,
Subject: RE: new any advise is appreciated

a guess 100 days to train for an Oly totally depends on your starting fitness level and experience.  There are some very good training plans on thei forum, I suggest you take a look at them and see the type of training comitment needed for an Oly.

Regarding the specific events: (1) Do you own a bike?  If so what kind?  If not, how much are you comfortable spending on a bike?  (2) running:  where are you in realtionship to the distance/time for the Oly?  That is can you currently run/jog/walk the 6 miles?  If not where are you in terms of how close you are.

An Oly. isn't an easy distance for most beginners.  But if you're coming from a relatively fit starting point it may be easier for you.

Regardless, spend time brick training and practicing your transitions, and your bike skills.  Biking on the road, in a group with cars passing you on the side is much different than taking a spin class.

2008-07-13 2:37 PM
in reply to: #1525832

thanks... my bike is old (from college), my little bro is a trier from UCberkeley so he is gonna set up my bike for me  with what he thinks i need.  As far as fitness level, i can jog 40 min or so mid speed, do some hill intervals and recover to reg heart rate w/i 1-2min of stopping.  For my training I have just been doing various cardio to keep my heart rate at 85% for 1hr or so 5-6 days a week.  Since i live where the tri is I am going to practice riding the course so I know what I need to do for the sprcific course. 
2008-07-13 5:07 PM
in reply to: #1525997

User image

Elite
Venture Industries,

sounds like the run shouldn't be a problem for you.  My suggestions (1) look at a co0mprehensive training plan for an Olympic length race.  There are really good ones on this forum, and they're free.  (2) make sure you do some brick work.  A brick is going from one leg directly to another.  So you would ride then jump off your bike and transition and then run.  These helps get your legs ready for the change from biking to running.  (3) hit the pool.  The swim is an odd thing in a tri, especially if it's a mass start.  Arms, legs everywhere.  It can be very disorienting even for those that are good swimmers.  I think a lot of first timers have a habit of going out way too fast in their first race.  They rush into the water and start swimming at a pace that is faster than anything they have trained for.  Inevitably they get gassed, which sometimes leads to panic, which can lead to giving up.  (4) have fun!  (5) smile when you cross the finish line for your race photo. 

(6) send copies of your finishing photo to everyone that said you couldn't do a tri!!!!

2008-07-14 1:45 PM

User image

Expert
Alexandria, NH

Hi Heather,

Swim- You're fine.  Swim more and make sure you are as comfortable as possible.  Contact can add some complexity but it really should be ok.  Are you swimming in open water?  If not then get in as much of that as is possible because the pool and OWS aren't all that similar.

Bike- you are probably fine now however putting in some longer rides should help.  Riding the course would be a great idea to gauge fitness if not go ride 27 miles and see how you do.  You spin so it's not like you have zero fitness.  Plan for a ride home if necessary but 27 miles should be less than a 2 hour ride regardless (unless it's really hilly then who knows) but still it will be close.   

Run- worst case scenario you walk.  You already have some run fitness so building on that shouldn't be a problem.  You have way more than enough time.

Training: The 20week to OLY training would give you a great idea as to where you should be.  My guess is that you are ready to step into that and be prepped.  There are others to choose from so look around and see what you are ready for.     

Equipment:  Legal?  Sure.  The ladies can give you specifics. 

Athenas/Clydes:  Check last years results and see how many Athenas there were.  It's not likely you'll stand out other than being tall.  That of course is hit or miss. 

If you think you are ready for an OLY than you are.  Don't second guess yourself.  If you didn't think you could finish you wouldn't have signed up. 

Good luck I'm sure you'll be great.   

2008-07-14 3:07 PM

Veteran
Best of luck on your journey, but as a weight class Athena, this always upsets me that 5'11 and 150 is the same as 5'4 and 150 plus. I sure as heck wish they would change the rules. It's not your fault, but for those of us who are heavy, this hurts.

2008-07-14 4:55 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Sounds like with smart training following a training plan you will be ready.

No need to go with two bras there are great supportive sports bras that are wicking. Do a forum search on sports bras to read more. The one most rave about is Moving Comfort Fiona which I have about 12-14 of.

Your spinning will help with your cycling but you need time on your bike.

Running you can always run/walk the run if needed. I found when I started run/walk I was actually faster than just running.

If you haven't done a tri yet I would suggest you do a short sprint to get the hang of transitions and the flow of tris before doing your Oly. 

You'll be amazed at the different type of people doing tris big, little, old, young..it is diverse and fun.

Enjoy your journey which is really most important. 

2008-07-14 8:29 PM
in reply to: #1528900

User image

Expert
Alexandria, NH

writers2 - 2008-07-14 4:07 PM Best of luck on your journey, but as a weight class Athena, this always upsets me that 5'11 and 150 is the same as 5'4 and 150 plus. I sure as heck wish they would change the rules. It's not your fault, but for those of us who are heavy, this hurts.

hijack- but I have to- I was watching American Gladiators and saw one of the women named Crush who's stats said 5-8 150.  I was saying wow she's an athena.  I wouldn't want to be in front of her in the swim wave. hijack over.

2008-07-15 1:44 AM
in reply to: #1528900

writers2 - 2008-07-14 1:07 PM Best of luck on your journey, but as a weight class Athena, this always upsets me that 5'11 and 150 is the same as 5'4 and 150 plus. I sure as heck wish they would change the rules. It's not your fault, but for those of us who are heavy, this hurts.

while i would love to be 150, this isnt the case   I am 5'11 and built like a football player with boobs   so, i will be plenty paced I am sure by the shorter girls out there as well.  I was kinda worried that i would be running aginst someone my height weighing 150!  That would be a challenge... but who doesnt love a good challenge?  Thanks for the advise to everyone else... i know i gotta get out on the road on a real bike, hard to do with three toddlers, much easier to check them into the daycare at the gym and spin for an hour I guess I could tow them in a bike trailer, but i would be all over the road as they would be wrestling or something in the back

2008-07-15 3:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Owings, MD

I'm a 5'11" 180 lb. Athena (I was 223 lbs. before I started this madness last April).  The races I've entered have had very few Athenas so if you think you would place better in that category (if that matters to you), then I would register as an Athena. 

For example, the Iron Girl sprint I did last summer, there were 1600 women and only about 56 of those were Athenas.  In the sprint I did a few weeks ago, there were 116 women and only 15 Athenas.  In that race, I placed second in the Athena division 15 seconds behind someone 5'6" and 152 lbs.  She's going to Iron Girl again in Sept. just like me and registered age group because she thinks she'll be below 150 lbs. at that point -- at least she's honest!  The cutoff is what the cutoff is! 

Good luck with your training! 

Laurie 

2008-07-16 12:16 AM
in reply to: #1531676

thank you... I thnik that I will stay with the division until I have completed several and feel comfortable and if I get to the point where I am kicking some butt.... I will step to my AG and get the kicking handed back to me on a silver platter (and have a new goal to work towards).  I will never be out of the athena category as a weight class though

2008-07-16 1:53 PM

User image

Expert
Montana
I am currently training for an OLY, so feel free to check out my logs for training guidelines. I've been working on the 20-week plan, but I've reached the maximum minutes listed almost 2 months early. This means that I can continue to increase volume and speed until my big race on Sept 6.

I am 5'10" and weigh 175 pounds. I started last April at 198. Don't think my weight is going to get much lower unless I make some drastic diet changes, and I'm not willing to do that right smack in the middle of the hardest training of my life. Don't hesitate to tell us your weight; everybody on this forum shares your battled and cheers your accomplisments.
2008-07-16 1:59 PM

Veteran
Great going and best of luck. I just did a race where the Athenas sure didn't look like Athenas to me! Maybe they weighted 151 and were about 5'7- 5'8. Okay, tell me, is that fair?
I think our division just gives us a handicap for our size. Barvissima to us!
Shame on them who sneak in.
2008-07-17 7:50 PM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA

You've already gotten good advice on the training. 

As far as outfits - do NOT wear 2 bras - go find a good supportive running bra and wear that.  Choose one of the kind that are rated "high-impact" and work like a regular bra (i.e. pull-on bras do NOT support!)

Choose one that is made of wicking fabric (i.e. NO cotton.)  In fact, if you're going to get into this sport - start building up your athletic wardrobe with clothes that do not contain cotton.  They work better and will not stay wet and chafe.

Right now, I wear a good supportive running bra, and then over that a regular top or one of those tops with the "built-in bra".

Oh, have fun! 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » new any advise is appreciated Rss Feed