General Discussion Triathlon Talk » YMCA Sprint Tri in Evansville, IN Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-07-13 11:12 PM

Regular
Subject: YMCA Sprint Tri in Evansville, IN

Hello to everyone.

The YMCA Sprint Tri is Aug. 16th in Evansville, IN.  This will be my very 1st ever triathlon.  Was looking for anyone that is running this event, or has been in either of the last 2 events?  I live in Evansville and heard about this tri back in April.  After 15yrs of sitting on the couch, eatting pizza and wings, and drinking cases of coke I just decided that it was time....  Not completely sure what I'm getting into, but I'm going to give it a go.  Been working for this event since April 21st.  I've dropped 30lbs and have been riding, running and swimming along with weight lifting. 

Look forward to hearing from anyone that can offer some insight...  Thank you

2008-07-15 9:35 PM
in reply to: #1526697

Subject: RE: YMCA Sprint Tri in Evansville, IN
I did the E-ville tri last year. It was my first tri and I greatly enjoyed it. I will be returning again this year and for many years to come. From my experience, I highly recommend you do some open water swimming before the event. Not sure how to explain how differrent open water swimming is. About half way through the swim I had to gather myself and relax to get through it. The anxiety of my first race, my first open water swim, running into people while swimming and having to sight was a little overwelming at first. Again, do a few open water swims and you will be way past a lot of the anxiety that I dealt with on race day. The bike has numerous rolling hills. The run is fairly flat.

The Southern Indiana Tri Team/club is right there in E-Ville - You can find there website at www.sitriteam.com
I do know the the SI Tri Team/club is cheap ($10 I believe) and has numerous group open swims, group runs and group rides. The club's members consist of tri newbies like yourself through Ironman finishers. Best of luck with your training and your first race. Be careful triathlon is addictive!
2008-07-22 1:36 PM

Might be too late but the Y offers training, for a price.  I went thru the y tri training last year and it was very beneficial.  That was my first tri, Owensboro was my 2nd and the Y tri will be my 3rd.  Join the Southern IN tri team and you will get some training partners (sitriteam.com).  We range from first timers to Ironman finishers.  It is $15 a year.  You can get all kinds of questions answered thru this group of people.  Good luck! 
2008-07-24 1:40 PM

New user

The Evansville Tri-team is actually $15.  Here is the site:

http://www.sitriteam.com

It isn't updated too frequently and the calendar is out of date, but there is a signup sheet and then you will receive an email with the monthly calendar, etc.  There is a run every Tuesday night, a bike ride on Wednesday night and Sunday afternoon at 1:00 pm, and then an open water swim on Thursdays at 6:00 pm at Blue Lake. 

I just started this year and it has helped me out quite a bit.  And, for $15 per year, that's pretty cheap.  Plus, all of the people are very cool.  There aren't too many people that show up to each event, but they are there if you need them.  Usually between 5-10 people per ride, a few people on the runs (probably hard to substantiate driving somewhere to run with gas prices) and quite a few people come out to the open swims when they are actually held (we had some problems getting the ok from the folks that live around blue lake).  Anyhow, like I said, pretty good deal.  Plus, there are discounts to various websites like trisports.com and then at local stores like Gilles, Top Spot, and Get Wet.  I'm sure I've saved well over $15 in the past week or two just buying GU and other stuff online...

2008-08-08 6:39 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-08-09 2:24 PM

Regular
Was out at the site last weekend on the bike course and it looks like the lake is up 2-feet from last year.  I'm going to ride the course again Sun, 8-10-08, just to get a little better at managing the hills.  Have not really trained on hills that much and this course does seem to have it's share of them. 

2008-08-10 8:24 AM
in reply to: #1592158

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » YMCA Sprint Tri in Evansville, IN Rss Feed