General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ladies...I need a new saddle...please help! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-07-14 5:28 PM

User image

Master
Riverside, IL
Subject: Ladies...I need a new saddle...please help!
I have over 900 miles on my stock, crappy Bontrager saddle on my Trek 2100 roadie. Initially, it felt okay...but the last 2 rides (both of which were over 70 miles), my @ss went totally numb at around the 40 mile mark. Didn't have much pain anywhere else (ie. tender parts)...just my sit bones felt like they had 2 poles sticking in them. For as much as my @ss hurt, I might as well have been sitting on the seatpost for the 73 mile ride I did on Sunday.

I've only done 1 triathlon (sprint), so far. The majority of my riding is longer distances, with some small rolling hills and an average speed of about 16.5mph. Should I be looking at a tri-specific saddle? I will most likely do more triathlons in the future...but probably only 1 more this year...the rest will have to wait until next summer. But I do long rides nearly every weekend, weather permitting. I can't continue to put on the mileage I'm doing on my current saddle..it just hurts too darn much. I've been researching the Terry Butterfly Tri Gel and am leaning towards this saddle, at the moment. On the Terry website, it says that this saddle is good for long distances and also ideal for those with lower back issues (something that applies to me). Any of you ladies out there have any opinions or comments on the Terry Butterfly Tri Gel? Are there any other saddles I should be considering? I notice in the Gear Review section that the top 3 women's saddles were the Terry Butterfly, the Butterfly Tri Gel, and the Specialized Jett. And I saw a post by one gal that really liked her Serfas RX. Would like to hear feedback on any and/or all of the saddles mentioned...or any others that you absolutely love. Thanks!

Linda

2008-07-14 6:12 PM
in reply to: #1529306

User image

Elite
Renton, Washington
Subject: RE: Ladies...I need a new saddle...please help!

I had the same problem. Ouch, ouch and ouch! I was buying gel saddles and they weren't comfy at all!  I ended up buying this:

http://www.rei.com/product/768227 

$80 at REI. I've done a 44 mile ride on it and I could still feel everything at the end! I have issues with going numb *down there* which results in sore pelvic bones etc etc. This saddle is fantastic and really affordable! With REI you can try it, if you don't like it, take it back...full refund!

I have no complaints with this seat at all!

2008-07-14 6:39 PM
in reply to: #1529361

User image

Master
Riverside, IL
Triathlynne - 2008-07-14 6:12 PM

I had the same problem. Ouch, ouch and ouch! I was buying gel saddles and they weren't comfy at all!  I ended up buying this:

$80 at REI. I've done a 44 mile ride on it and I could still feel everything at the end! I have issues with going numb *down there* which results in sore pelvic bones etc etc. This saddle is fantastic and really affordable! With REI you can try it, if you don't like it, take it back...full refund!

Hmmm...looks interesting. I'm curious if the no cut-out design will cause issues. My current stock Bontrager saddle has the cut-out in the middle of the saddle to relieve pressure on tender parts...so that's not an issue with me, at the moment. It is a good price, for sure...might have to go take a closer look at it. Thanks!
2008-07-14 6:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Denver

I currently have the Terry Butterfly on my bike (I only have a road bike) and am getting ready to switch to a different saddle. The saddle for me personally is too wide. I am a petite chicka and my sit bones don't align where they are meant to on the saddle which has been causing more problems than helping. It also has some weird pressure point areas that are not fun on longer rides. A few other tri friends complained of the same thing.

I am currently looking at two women's specific saddles: Specialized Jett and the San Marco Aspide Glamour. I am leaning more toward the Jett right now because of it's cut-out. If you want, you can buy my Terry and see how you like it!

2008-07-14 9:08 PM

User image

Master
Riverside, IL
Is your Terry saddle the Butterfly Tri Gel one? If so, I'd be interested. If it's the regular Terry Butterfly, I'll pass on it. Let me know which one it is...thanks!

Linda
2008-07-15 10:21 AM
in reply to: #1529406

User image

Elite
Renton, Washington
nscrbug - 2008-07-14 4:39 PM
Triathlynne - 2008-07-14 6:12 PM

I had the same problem. Ouch, ouch and ouch! I was buying gel saddles and they weren't comfy at all! I ended up buying this:

Hmmm...looks interesting. I'm curious if the no cut-out design will cause issues. My current stock Bontrager saddle has the cut-out in the middle of the saddle to relieve pressure on tender parts...so that's not an issue with me, at the moment. It is a good price, for sure...might have to go take a closer look at it. Thanks!

It's all gel in the middle. I did have a cut out saddle too which made matters worse. I guess it's really personal preference.. 

2008-07-15 10:32 AM

User image

Veteran
Douglas County

I spent an entire afternoon reading the forums at Team Estrogen to figure out what saddle to put on my bike....I'm still not sure!

Have the Serfas Tri W-2 right now, and have put 300 miles or so on it.  I find that it's alleviated all my original issues (smooshed girl parts), but the tapering of the nose on this particular model is too gradual and that extra width is causing some leg chafing that I never had with my stock Felt saddle.  The good thing about Serfas is that they have a 30-day money back guarantee, so you can't go wrong trying it out to see if it suits your butt.    Terry has a similar taper in the nose that will result in some chafing, so I think my next saddle will be the San Marco Aspide Glamour or the Fizik Vitesse. 

The bottom line, after doing all this research, is that we are all different and what works for one doesn't necessarily work for another.  (As evidenced by my using this Serfas Tri saddle, which half the girls on my team happily use!)

2008-07-15 11:32 AM
in reply to: #1529744

User image

Veteran
Denver

nscrbug - 2008-07-14 10:08 PM Is your Terry saddle the Butterfly Tri Gel one? If so, I'd be interested. If it's the regular Terry Butterfly, I'll pass on it. Let me know which one it is...thanks! Linda

Regular Terry. So sorry!

2008-07-15 11:40 AM
in reply to: #1529420

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mountain View, CA
rhodespedal - 2008-07-14 4:52 PM

I currently have the Terry Butterfly on my bike (I only have a road bike) and am getting ready to switch to a different saddle. The saddle for me personally is too wide. I am a petite chicka and my sit bones don't align where they are meant to on the saddle which has been causing more problems than helping. It also has some weird pressure point areas that are not fun on longer rides. A few other tri friends complained of the same thing.

I am currently looking at two women's specific saddles: Specialized Jett and the San Marco Aspide Glamour. I am leaning more toward the Jett right now because of it's cut-out. If you want, you can buy my Terry and see how you like it!

I am petite too and have similar issues with saddles. If you've got really narrow sit bones, you might want to actually take a look at using men's saddles, which is what I do. I've had good luck with some of the Specialized men's saddles - no particular models in general since I have a pile of saddles I bought for $20-40 from take-off bins and I'm not super picky. I also have an old men's Selle Italia Trans Am that I like a lot.

That said, I would like to try out a Terry Damselfly as I've heard that's a fantastic saddle for smaller women.

2008-07-15 3:38 PM
in reply to: #1530938

User image

Veteran
Denver
sistinas - 2008-07-15 12:40 PM
rhodespedal - 2008-07-14 4:52 PM

I am petite too and have similar issues with saddles. If you've got really narrow sit bones, you might want to actually take a look at using men's saddles, which is what I do. I've had good luck with some of the Specialized men's saddles - no particular models in general since I have a pile of saddles I bought for $20-40 from take-off bins and I'm not super picky. I also have an old men's Selle Italia Trans Am that I like a lot.

That said, I would like to try out a Terry Damselfly as I've heard that's a fantastic saddle for smaller women. 

Thanks for the suggestion!

2008-07-15 4:06 PM

User image

Master
Riverside, IL
Well...I don't consider myself a "smaller woman"...at 5'6", 140lbs and fairly solid, I'd say I'm more of a borderline "Athena". Now...I have lost about 15lbs in the last 6 months, so perhaps my butt is a tad bit more boney than it was before. Maybe that is why I'm feeling some numbness and soreness on rides over 40 miles. I guess I just need to try a few different saddles to see what works for me. I'm really not sure, at this point, what it is I need in a saddle. I don't know if I *need* a saddle with a cut-out...I don't know if I *need* a saddle with a narrower nose...I don't know if I *need* a saddle with a wider rear platform. What I DO know is that my current saddle is no longer cutting it on longer rides, so I definitely need to change something there.

2008-07-15 4:58 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-07-15 5:34 PM
in reply to: #1531829

Veteran
Denver

nscrbug - 2008-07-15 5:06 PM

I guess I just need to try a few different saddles to see what works for me.

This is unfortunately the best answer you will get from most triathletes and cyclists. Good luck with your search!

2008-07-15 5:34 PM
in reply to: #1531829

Veteran
Denver

Edited by rhodespedal 2008-07-15 5:35 PM
2008-07-15 5:38 PM
in reply to: #1531953

Master
Riverside, IL
Paulettejo - 2008-07-15 4:58 PM

Adamo ISM for me...it is a little wide, but I sit so far up front that I can deal with that issue.

I've seen lots of reviews on the Adamo, so it definitely has my interest. Would it be an appropriate saddle for long distance road riding? I've only completed 1 triathlon, so far...hoping to do more in the future. But for right now, my main cycling focus is longer (70-100 miles) weekend rides with my hubby. I also do NOT have any aerobars on my bike (at the moment)...but may possibly add some in the future (next year). Given those factors...would the Adamo be a saddle worth considering?

Linda
2008-07-15 6:01 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ladies...I need a new saddle...please help! Rss Feed