General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Who's doing an Xterra tri this year? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-01-26 2:49 PM

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ
Subject: Who's doing an Xterra tri this year?
Following onto fraggle's poll.

I'll be doing both AZ Xterras for sure. First one is in April at Saguaro Lake, and the second is in May up in Show Low. The first one is a 1500m swim, 26K MTB, 10K run. Almost an Oly except for the MTB part. The MTB course for this race is on dirt roads, and people last year averaged around 20mph. I'm kinda miffed that I can't ride my cyclocross bike (Xterra banned them) on this course, since it's not a technical course.

The second one is an 800m swim, 25K MTB, 8K run. The MTB course is much more technical, and I'm really looking forward to it.

I'm most nervous about the swim for the first one. I've never gone 1500m before, and I've never gone swimming in open water before. I'm hoping to get some open water swimming experience before the race.

So, if you're doing an Xterra this year, which one(s), what are you looking forward to, and what will be a challenge for you?

2005-01-26 3:55 PM
in reply to: #108636

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Subject: RE: Who's doing an Xterra tri this year?
I was planning on doing the one in Flintstone, MD - but Wifey wants to do our local MS 150 ride which is the same weekend... I might look at one of the other ones, but that one fit my schedule the best. Oh well, there's always next year.

The thing I was least looking forward to, as always, was the run. From what I've read, some Xterra swims are 2 loops with a short (100 yards or so) run between.

-Frank

Edited by scuba-punk 2005-01-26 3:57 PM
2005-01-26 3:58 PM

User image

Champion
Two seat rocket plane
I plan on doing Richmond. I am a bit concerned about swimming in the James River. Some years it's a wade rather than a swim and some years the river floods and the race is a duathlon. I had to paddle the swim course  as part of a sprint adventure race a couple of years ago (in a crappy inflatable canoe with  half of a really cheesy paddle) and it was pretty tough.
The MTB course  has a lot of singletrack, but no big climbs and very little tech stuff.

The biggest challenge will be not to go out drinking with my  old college friends who still live n R-mond the night before ;-)
2005-01-26 4:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Davis, California
I'm planning on doing one in Granite Bay, CA (near Sacramento) on April 3 - it will be my first triathlon - I'm very excited! It's sprint distance - .5 m swim, 16 mi bike, 3 mi run.

If that goes well I'd like to do the longer races in Temecula and Tahoe later in the season. I'm more of a mountain biker than roadie, so I think the Xterra events will be a nice intro into triathlons - meanwhile I'm trying to get out on the road bike occasionally so I can do a "regular" tri as well.
2005-01-26 4:56 PM

Veteran
Denver
I sure would like to. They sound like a ton of fun. There is one in Buffalo Creek, Colorado in June. That seems a little early for the Colorado mountains. Trails don't dry till late May and the water will be freezing.
2005-01-27 8:22 AM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas
I will be doing the Richmond Sport division race. I did it last year and it was a blast except - as "ride like you stole it" said - the James river was very high and rough so instead of swimming from the island to the transition, we did a loop on the island and had to run about a half mile back to the transition. That was a pain in the butt! The race itself was alot of fun though. I had done a few Balance Bar Adventure Races at the same venue so I was familiar with the course. I love off-road and my only complaint was that the run was more on roads and gravel paths than on actual trails. I can say that Xterra was incredibly well organized and the shirts are nice too

2005-01-27 10:00 AM

Lake Geneva, WI
It's not Xterra but in northere Wisconsin there is a mountian bike Duathalon in May and a Mountian bike Tri in the summer.
I plan on doing the Duathalon this year. Most of the trails are through the north woods of Wisconsin it should be real neat.
2005-01-27 10:07 AM
in reply to: #108903

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA
I'd say it was more like 3/4 of a mile run from swim to transition...which I loved! I passed 20+ people on that little dash.

I wanted to do Xterra Richmond again this year but the scheduled it for July 4th weekend...poor planning if you ask me. I've got a camping trip planned

dodgersmom - 2005-01-27 8:22 AM

I will be doing the Richmond Sport division race. I did it last year and it was a blast except - as "ride like you stole it" said - the James river was very high and rough so instead of swimming from the island to the transition, we did a loop on the island and had to run about a half mile back to the transition. That was a pain in the butt! The race itself was alot of fun though. I had done a few Balance Bar Adventure Races at the same venue so I was familiar with the course. I love off-road and my only complaint was that the run was more on roads and gravel paths than on actual trails. I can say that Xterra was incredibly well organized and the shirts are nice too
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Who's doing an Xterra tri this year? Rss Feed