General Discussion Triathlon Talk » "You can't win a race by the swim but your sure can lose one" Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-07-17 2:49 PM

Subject: "You can't win a race by the swim but your sure can lose one"
I don't remember where I heard this quote but my results from this past weekend's race clearly supports it. If I read the times from right to left my rankings in my class are as follows:
Run=3/18; T2=3/18; Bike=3/18; T1=2/18; Swim=11/18.

In other words I got so far behind on the swim I was unable to catch up with the guys in front of me even though I was faster or as fast as most of them. I ended up 5th out of 18. If I had the swim I had last year I would have been on the podium in 2nd place. Which also supports the quote "it depends on who shows up" because that time got me 5th last year because my times were about the same except for the swim.

Due to circumstances beyond my control, I haven't been able to get to the pool but once a week lately. I usually do well on the bike with minimal training because it's always been my thing and since the run is only 5k, I can usually grit my teeth and push myself through the run. But "you just can't fake the swim". See there's another supported quote. Hey, I think that may be original; I haven't heard that before!

Well, at least I know exactly where I need work.

2008-07-17 2:59 PM
in reply to: #1537663

User image

Master
Lake Oswego, OR
Subject: RE: "You can't win a race by the swim but your sure can lose one"

Here is another quote:

"You run what you brung"

Or in other words, you compete with the fitness and abilities you have. For me, the goal is to compete for the sake of pushing myself, and performing the best I can that day.

2008-07-17 3:23 PM

User image

Elite
I think the quote is usually reffering to going to hard on the swim and being tapped out for the rest of the race.  Applies to you in this situation though also.
2008-07-17 4:26 PM

User image

Champion
the colony texas

I think I was 1st out of the water for my AG this weekend.. clydes over 40,,  but BOP for bike and I'm not a strong runner, even though I did catch a few...

I think the best view point on the swim was never be first out of the water.. draft off someone, fsave your energy for the bike/run and do your transitions better,

2008-07-17 4:30 PM

User image

over a barrier
Its a famous quote you'll hear IM pro's use all the time and hear during IM TV coverage....they can't get gapped during the swim (10 min down etc) but even the best swim will not provide enough of a gap to stay out in front....

2008-07-17 5:02 PM
in reply to: #1537814

User image

Champion
Richmond, VA

mndiver - 2008-07-17 4:23 PM I think the quote is usually reffering to going to hard on the swim and being tapped out for the rest of the race.  Applies to you in this situation though also.

yeah - I had never heard it refer to being so far behind out of the water you can't catch up, but rather the idea that you can lose the race in the water by killing yourself for the run and bike.

but alas, OP, I do see your side of the story.

2008-07-17 9:33 PM

I just thought it was an interesting situation because sometimes it's hard to pin point where you are going wrong in your training. You know you look at your trends and you wonder why your not making any improvements. In this case, it's smacking me right in the face. In my Master Clydesdale class there a two guys that always win the class in any race they are in because they just kill the swim. I met one of them at a HIM a couple months ago and he was a competitive swimmer in high school and college (very nice guy). And although our bike and run times are fairly close, I can't even get near them because of their incredibly fast swims. So really, when these guys are in the race their fighting for first and second and everybody else is fighting for third.

But, I don't get too worked up about it because, as someone else stated earlier, I do the best I can with what fitness and training I have brought with me. I just need to try and get my swim back up to the level I know I'm capable of even though it still won't be good enough for the top spot. But again, that's not what really matters.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » "You can't win a race by the swim but your sure can lose one" Rss Feed