General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First tri, looking for some feedback Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-07-17 5:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: First tri, looking for some feedback

Well I dove in a just finished an olympic tri...my first tri of any kind.  I was reasonably happy with my performance.  I finished in about 3:07ish.  I was 42 minutes in the water, 1:25 on the bike and about 58 minutes on the run.  Two questions: the area that I think needs the most improvement is my swim.  Any idea where I should start?  It was only my second open water swim, should I work more on that, or more on laps, technique???

Second, being new to the sport, what should I consider a decent time for this distance (certainly understanding its different for everyone).  Thanks, feedback would be really appreciated!

2008-07-17 6:22 PM
in reply to: #1538173

User image

Mountain View, CA
Subject: RE: First tri, looking for some feedback
98hogbay - 2008-07-17 3:08 PM

Well I dove in a just finished an olympic tri...my first tri of any kind.  I was reasonably happy with my performance.  I finished in about 3:07ish.  I was 42 minutes in the water, 1:25 on the bike and about 58 minutes on the run.  Two questions: the area that I think needs the most improvement is my swim.  Any idea where I should start?  It was only my second open water swim, should I work more on that, or more on laps, technique???

Second, being new to the sport, what should I consider a decent time for this distance (certainly understanding its different for everyone).  Thanks, feedback would be really appreciated!

First, congrats on finishing your first race! As to your question about swimming, the first thing to do is have a coach look at your stroke and, if necessary, critique it. Join a local tri club or masters group (if there's one in your area) and do the coached workouts so that someone's keeping an eye on your stroke as you progress. Once you have the technique, swim *lots*. The more you swim (or bike, or run), the faster you'll get. Good luck!
2008-07-17 8:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Waukesha, WI
Congratulations triathlete!

X2 on the swim advice. As for the question regarding your times, I would say that a "good time" is a time you're happy with. There is no objective "good time" or "bad time" because everyone is different in their experience level, physical attributes, training, nutrition, gear, etc. If it felt good to you, it was a good time.
2008-07-17 9:18 PM

User image

Elite
Boise
Congratulations! I just did my first tri as an oly this weekend myself. I think one thing you have to look at as far as how "good" your time is, is how long have you been training? are you at a good weight or are you maybe a little on the clydesdale side? Age is a factor as well. Then it depends on are you trying to become a podium finisher or just doing it for fun? Lot's of factors to take into consideration for a "good" time.
2008-07-18 6:35 AM

User image

Veteran
Thanks all.  Maybe a better question is "how do you measure your performance?"  Is it just about time?  Do you set other goals for race day?  
2008-07-18 7:32 AM
in reply to: #1539101

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fairfax

98hogbay - 2008-07-18 6:35 AM Thanks all.  Maybe a better question is "how do you measure your performance?"  Is it just about time?  Do you set other goals for race day?  

Obviously time is a major measure of your performance, but there are many variables for different races.  For example, if it's an open water swim in the ocean, one day it might be calm and you can do 30 minutes, another day it might be really choppy and end up at 45 minutes, so time isn't the end all be all.  Look at the field you're racing against and how well you fared against them.  You could set a goal of "I want to be in the top 50% of the field," or "I want to be in the top 25% of my AG," or "I want my T2 to be under 2 minutes."  Just MHO.

2008-07-18 8:31 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

I usually set some goals relatively far out from the race.  So my HIM goal was <6 hours and my IM goal is 12-13 hours.  I missed my HIM goal by 18 minutes (5%) and moped for a day about it.  Not any more.  I also had a goal to ride 20 mph for the 56 miles which spurred me to get out and ride those 2-3 hour rides aggressively.  I hit that goal. 

As the race gets close (within a week or two), I'll start formulating expectations.  What will I realistically expect for the swim/bike/run, usually with an "average" to "barely OK" range.  I never really dwell on the "if the stars and the moon all line up I can do X" expectations.  Usually the day or two before the race, I'll revise these expectations based on the predicted weather and how I'm feeling.  Back to the HIM, I knew that 6 hours was going to require a darn good day and 6:18 really wasn't that far off what I could expect based on recent training times. 

Looking back on your race, what did you think about your performance?  (That's really what matters, not our opinion. )  There are people on this site who'd be ecstatic with the times you listed.  Others won't be satisfied with a 2:07.  Put some context around your 3:07 finish (did you lose 50# after major surgery?  or did you just show up and race without more than an hour or two of training? ) and peoples' impressions will change (pretty dramatically). 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First tri, looking for some feedback Rss Feed