General Discussion Triathlon Talk » FIRST bike purchase & fitting question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-07-19 1:12 PM

User image

Salt Lake City
Subject: FIRST bike purchase & fitting question
OK just did my first tri (was a sprint MTB tri) and have started shopping for my new non-MTB. Was going to get a road bike because cant afford both road and tri....am wanting to do an olympic at the end of august if I can get a bike!! And more after that!
First, should the stores be measuring me to make sure the frame is the right size for me or even looking at me before just sticking me on the only woman's bike they have in the store to test ride? I walk in the store and it just so happens that WHAT EVER they have there is the right frame size for me?! I've ridden 48-53's. Is this OK. I am a woman and dont know much (yet- about road/racing bikes) so Im totally thinking I'm getting hosed! I'm ready/willing to spend around 3K.
Next, I really think I like the aero position for handlebars, (I keep trying to get into that position on my MTB on long rides!) BUT I haven't ridden tri bike so dont know about the whole bike positioning so was thinking Cervelo soloist but am terrified about buying that bike if I'm not a "good body fit" for areo positioning on that bike as I have read you should be a good body fit for that bike? Havent been to that store yet..... But the bike seems so versatile, if it is a good feel for me seems like a great choice.
OR should I just get a tri bike if I'm doing mostly tri's and bike racing (century rides etc)??AAAAHHHH!!! I don't know how anyone actually purchases their first bike!

2008-07-19 2:10 PM
in reply to: #1542060

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA
Subject: RE: FIRST bike purchase & fitting question
The first bike purchase can certainly be angst ridden.

I never really trust the local bike shop (LBS) because, as you say, they'll always say they have the "right bike for you". Regardless. Even if it's the only one they have. Maybe there's an LBS in your area with a good selection of bikes in different sizes and trustworthy people.

But the Internet is always your friend. You can find online size guidelines for your height, torso length, leg length, arm length, etc. Trek has these guidelines for their bikes. I'm certain the websites for each of the other bike companies have the same.

The online bike shops like Competitive Cylist have online fit calculators so you can order their bikes online.

You can also find a local bike team or bike club and ask them for the name of respected local fitters. Fitters can dial in your bike to fit you, and are usually happy to give guidance before you buy the bike. Some LBSs have respected fitters, some do not.

If you're not very experience on your bike, then it will be hard for you to tell if the bike is the right fit. The bike websites (and this one) have various articles on bike fit with guideliens about where your elbows should be when you're on the drops, how much knee bend you should have, if you're on a tri bike aerobars how level your arms should be. You should work to find those and understand them to be an informed bicycle purchaser.

Now, I'm going to go off with my personal opinion and say fit is not the end all and be all that some people will claim. You will find that some people will make out that there is only One True Fit and thus One True Bike for You, and that you will be entirely hosed for all your bike riding experience if the frame isn't Exactly Perfectly Correctly The Right Fit for You.

A couple millimeters here and a couple millimeters there really won't make a difference. Centimeters do make a difference. There is certainly such a thing as a badly fitting bike, but I think there are also a number of bikes that will fit just fine for the average person. And judging from the wide variety of setups I see on the racks, there is no one true way to setup a bike and one true way to ride it.

You should ride at least four or five different bikes from different companies in different sizes, and see how they feel. This is the hardest thing for some people - they want to go right out and come home today with the first and only bike they tested. This is the biggest mistake you can make! Take your time. Try the bikes. When my wife and I were shopping for her first road bike, she hated that I pushed her to try 8 different bikes over several weekends. She liked the third one, and didn't want to try any more.

She did end up buying the third one, but she has said that by trying all those bikes, she doesn't have any buyer's remorse about it. She is confident it's the right bike, because she tried seven others.

Edited by brucemorgan 2008-07-19 2:10 PM
2008-07-25 12:30 AM

Wow, I know I wasn't the OP but I found this advice to be really helpful since I'm in the same position. So thank you for that, I will remember to measure myself first and ask around about good bike shops as well as testing many kinds. I'm afraid that because I'm so anxious to buy something that I'll get a cheapo bike or something from an LBS that isn't as good as it could be just because I was so eager to buy. So I guess I'll just remember that I have time at my disposal and to be patient and really invest in something that I like and more importantly something that I will use. So thank you, I really appreciate the useful advice. =)
2008-07-25 8:19 AM

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
Also, the test ride around the parking lot shouldn't be the end of it. You can certainly ride an off size bike just to up your enthusiasm for the product. Did you ever test drive the black car but buy the blue one? That's OK, but the staff should explain that they'll work to get you fitted when you're ready to buy. Also, maybe an advance understanding of what this means (stem swaps OK? Who pays here?) is a good idea. Manage the expectations.
2008-07-25 5:12 PM
in reply to: #1558086

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA
You're welcome.

I'll also second riding it more than just the parking lot.

And ride some bikes that you don't think will fit. Ride the "probably too big" and "probably too small" bikes.

Lastly, everyone measures their frames differently. A 58 from Trek is not the same size as a 58 from Giant. So you can't tranpose frame sizes from one brand to the next.
2008-07-25 5:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Listen to brucemorgan.....some GREAT advice and thoughts.

The only thing I would throw in is that if the bike fitter is a competent bike fitter, he will also offer up for you to come back in 2 to 3 months for a check on your bike fit.

I just had my new tri bike fitted. We spent about 4 hours measuring, swapping components, setting aerobars, setting up the seat post, spacers, blah, blah, blah............. bottomline, this fitter worked to ensure that it was the best fit at this moment.

During your training, you are going to become better conditioned and you may need to make some minor adjustments. As part of the bike fitting service, he offered to make the adjustments for free. (I didn't argue.)

Best of luck!

2008-07-25 5:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mountain View, CA

Some other small bits of advice: if you're a woman, don't just test ride the women-specific bikes at the bike shops. Try out the men's/nongendered (er... unisex?) versions too. If you have a longer torso compared to other women, these might actually fit you better.

If you are thinking of doing centuries and road racing (you mention "bike racing" at the end of your post), then I would stick with a road bike, since aerobars are not legal at most road racing events.

2008-07-26 10:11 AM

User image

Champion
MA

Lots of good advice already. 

I think finding a good shop that will work with you to fit is key more than test riding bikes. Often just how the tires are pumped up will effect your ride. Plus as a new cyclists how a bike feels first time out will be vary different than after you have ridden 1000 miles. Trusting a fitter's recommendation of which is better is key. You have had the common issue do you trust them....are they looking out for you or for them.

You really need them to work on some degree of fit before they recommend a bike...leg length, torso length, stuff like that.

If you ask the shop if they do bike shops even by calling some will say yes some no and if they do ask them how they do it. 

I trust my bike fitter...he measured me then recommended bikes that would fit me given my price limit and what he knew to be my riding style.

I ordered a bike with custom paint without riding it as I know it will fit me and I trust my fitter. It is being made for me so I have to wait.

All fitters are not equal. I'd suggest finding other triathletes in your area and see where they go. Maybe post on your state board and ask for shop recommendations. Ask questions and see  if they get you. I find as a women many shops sort of treated me like I was stupid and turned me off. Reality is I'm a great customer and buying my 4th bike since June '06...their loss.

I shop at 4 different shops, have had 3 different bike fits, but trust my current bike fit guy.  

If you are a women with longer legs relative to your torso chances are women specific bike is best for you.

I feel sad as often folks get a new bike, shop locally, and in 6-12 months realize their bike really doesn't fit which brings up a whole new set of issues. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » FIRST bike purchase & fitting question Rss Feed