General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Inner hip pain- from hill running? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-07-21 9:19 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Inner hip pain- from hill running?
I was wondering if anyone else had experience with this. I had a problem with the same thing a while back in the other hip and it was diagnosed as overtraining (or ramping up mileage too quickly) by the doc. I took some time off and then slowly built again, without any pain.

I have been really strict about not increasing mileage too much, but have noticed when I run hillier routes, I am having the same problem, a dull aching pain in the inner hip/tendony area. It's not in the same hip as it was the first time, but once I made the association of hip pain=hills, I realized that prior to hurting my other hip last time, I had been doing a bit of hill running.

Anyone else experience this? Thoughts on whether I should decrease or increase my hill running? Problem is I live in a fairly hilly area and if I'm doing long runs, it's on hills, just because thats what we have. And I don't want to rule hills out completely, because 1) flats are boring and 2) the race I'm training for is not flat.

I'm also wondering if it's a factor of how I'm running hills. Lord knows I'm not the best hill runner, I shuffle and waddle my way up em, so maybe I'm twisting oddly and stretching the tendon in my hips somehow while I'm going up them?

K.

2008-07-21 3:57 PM
in reply to: #1545157

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
Subject: RE: Inner hip pain- from hill running?
I am hoping someone will respond to this. I have the same issues! I have recurring tendonitis in the right hip and hill running can really make it worse. But, I can't just avoid hills either. So, I don't know what to tell you besides you're not alone and I will be watching this thread hoping someone can help us!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Inner hip pain- from hill running? Rss Feed