General Discussion Triathlon Talk » first tri coming up a few more questions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-07-21 12:06 PM

Extreme Veteran
Subject: first tri coming up a few more questions

Folks,

Do I have to bring a stand to keep my bike up in the transition area or does the event supply a rack?

Can I bring a small cooler into the transition area? I use this to sit on as I find it easier to get my socks and shoes on sitting as opposed to standing.

What time should I get there the event is at 8:15?

Do you warm up by swimming a little before the start? How much? What time? 

Do you try to get used to the water temp prior to the start? 

Do I get to pick where to put my bike or is it defined by the event. If I can chose, where is the best spot? Seems like closest to where you come out of the water would be best.

chevy57       

2008-07-21 12:13 PM
in reply to: #1545790

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: RE: first tri coming up a few more questions
I'll try to take a crack at answering these...

The race will provide a rack for your bike. It will either be racked by your wheel (on the ground) or higher where you have to rack by your seat or handlebars. Just look at what everyone else is doing.

Lots of people bring a cooler or pail to sit on. Just make sure you are taking up a minimal amount of space.

Your race packet or the race web site should say when transition opens. I like to get there 1.5-2 hours before I start, earlier if I don't have an assigned rack spot.

Some people warm up, others don't. Personally I like to! Just a few minutes of swimming maybe 10-15 minutes before the first wave starts.

Each race varies on whether they assign you a rack/transition space or not. It should be pretty clear if you have an assigned spot. If not, the early birds get the best spots! You'll have to look at other things besides the swim exit... look at where the run in/out and bike in/out areas are. Typically the spaces on the ends of the racks are prime property - more space to spread out.

GOOD LUCK!!
2008-07-21 12:18 PM

User image

Expert
Mukwonago, WI
chevy57 - 2008-07-21 12:06 PM

Folks,

Do I have to bring a stand to keep my bike up in the transition area or does the event supply a rack?

Most races provide racks for you

Can I bring a small cooler into the transition area? I use this to sit on as I find it easier to get my socks and shoes on sitting as opposed to standing.

I brought a small cooler to my race yesterday and nobody seemed to have a problem.  Just make sure it's out of the way

What time should I get there the event is at 8:15?

Each race generally has their transition area open during a range of time - for example, 6:30 to 8:00.  Check with the race organizer.

Do you warm up by swimming a little before the start? How much? What time? 

Absolutely do this.  Go in right after you are done setting up in transition but leave enough time to not interfere with the start of the race.  Again, check with race organizer becasue they might have a cutoff for swim warmups.

Do you try to get used to the water temp prior to the start? 

Absolutely!

Do I get to pick where to put my bike or is it defined by the event. If I can chose, where is the best spot? Seems like closest to where you come out of the water would be best.

Depends on the race.  Some are assigned spots, others, first come first served.  If you get to pick, don't assume that closest to the water is best.  Yesterday I was as far from the water as could be which meant then that since the bike exit was close to my spot, I didn't have to run very far with my bike.

chevy57       

Good luck!

2008-07-21 12:19 PM

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
Based off my 2 sprint tris so far:

1: The event will supply the rack
2: The transition area is usually pretty packed with peoples stuff on towels...i don't think i have ever seen a cooler...you may want to ask the race officials.
3: If you need to pick up your packet, you probably should get there AT LEAST 45 minutes prior. You pick up your packet, and still have to get marked and possibly "chipped".
4: You can warm up by swimming any time up to a few mins before the tri starts (5-10 mins before the tri starts, officials herd the ppl out of the water).
5: If you wait until the tri starts to get used to the water temp, you could be in for a shock...
6: Some tri's let you pick your bike location. Other tri's have it separated by numbers (01-25, 26-50, 51-75, etc)

my suggestion is that you get there kind of early, soak it in and settle your nerves. if this is your first, you'll definitely be anxious.

good luck and have fun!
2008-07-21 12:20 PM

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
damn, you guys post fast! i wouldn't have wasted my time!
2008-07-21 12:20 PM

User image

Expert
Dodge County, MN (out in the corn)

I'm by no means a seasoned competitor, but I'll try to do my best.

The event will supply bike racks.  Usually these are made of metal pipes and hold around 10 bikes per rack.

Can I bring a small cooler into the transition area?
You can, but don't bring in too much stuff.  I sometimes used a bucket to rinse myfeet and end up sitting on the bucket.  Now I just sit on the ground.

What time should I get there the event is at 8:15?
I try to get to the race site about 2 hours early.  You'll have to get your packet, get marked, visit the portapotty, set up transition, warm up, listen to the race briefing...

Do you warm up by swimming a little before the start?
I always warm up for the swim.  Yesterday I didn't warm up for the bike or the run, but the swim is the most important warm-up.  Get in, get used to the water.  Most of the time I only swim for about 10 minutes. 

Do I get to pick where to put my bike or is it defined by the event. If I can chose, where is the best spot?
This seems to vary by event.  Some have you rack bikes by wave, some by number, some let you choose.  I try to get an end spot so I have more room, but that's just me. 

Have a great race and don't forget to post a race report!

2008-07-21 12:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Columbus, Ohio
It sounds like you have not seen a tri in person yet. Is that correct? If not, and you can schedule one, I recommend you go watch one. It will help a lot.
2008-07-21 12:25 PM

User image

Master
Granvile, Ohio
Just a couple thoughts to add.  If I race at 8 am, I show up at 6.  I hate standing in lines and like to get the packet pickup and bodymarking done before it gets crowded.  I do that first, then I can take my time setting up transition and meander around by the lake with a leisurely swim and talk to other folks.  Kind of settles the nerves.

Ask someone that the transition entrance or the reigstration table how transition is set up.  There are always lots of people more than willing to answer questions.  At yesterday's race, I couldn't find the lake and had to ask.  Felt stupid, but he finally announced it, so he must have had several people ask about it.

Edited by tnickerson 2008-07-21 12:30 PM
2008-07-21 12:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
In front of computer when typing this.

I have a couple of questions to add, if you don't mind me leaching off someone else's post!

I have run in races before and you put your chip on your running shoe. What happens to it in a tri? I have bike shoes, and running shoes so where does the chip go?

Can you start riding your bike as soon as you get to it and can get on, or do you have to get out of the transition area first?

Thanks, and sorry to borrow someone else's post,  but they might have similar questions.

2008-07-21 12:29 PM
in reply to: #1545886

User image

Master
Granvile, Ohio
louiskie - 2008-07-21 1:27 PM

I have a couple of questions to add, if you don't mind me leaching off someone else's post!

I have run in races before and you put your chip on your running shoe. What happens to it in a tri? I have bike shoes, and running shoes so where does the chip go?

Can you start riding your bike as soon as you get to it and can get on, or do you have to get out of the transition area first?

Thanks, and sorry to borrow someone else's post,  but they might have similar questions.

Usually chip is on a velcro strap that goes around your ankle.

There is almost always a bike mount/dismount line and you can/will get a penalty if you mount before you are at the line.  If you're not sure, ask someone on site.  Better than a time penalty!

2008-07-21 12:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson

End of the racks is best.  It gives you a little bonus space.  By end of the rack, I mean the inside (ie where everyone is running through) end.  The outside end means that you have to trample over 2 rows of people.  Let me see if I have a picture of the transition area from my tri

Now lets see if I can find one of the bigger transition area

And one last one

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » first tri coming up a few more questions Rss Feed