General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Dylan's Run for Autism - Milwaukee Summerfest Grounds Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-07-21 2:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Madison, WI
Subject: Dylan's Run for Autism - Milwaukee Summerfest Grounds

Hello All,

Autism is a cognitive disorder that affects many children, as many as 1 in 150 by some estimates.  It is a challenging disorder that not only makes it difficult for the person affected, but also places a tremendous burdon on the family.  I know - my son Aaron was diagnosed as Autistic when he was just 18 months old.

Aaron's 4 now, and he's a bright, energetic little boy.  He doesn't speak, and he has difficulty with some things such as a lack of fear or understanding of danger.  While there are dark days sometimes for us all, we really are very thankful to have such a wonderful little boy in our lives.

We are in the process of putting together a team for our Dylan's Walk/Run for Autism for 2008.  My wife and I have been a part of this fantastic event the last 2 years and are overwhelmed with the support we've received.  To see so many people come out and support this event leaves us both without words.

This is my first year on BT and I'd like to extend an invitation to any BTers in the area that would like to take part in Dylan's Run and be part of our team, the "J-Birds".  The event is Sunday, Sept. 7, 2008.  I realize this is the same day as IMMOO - I myself plan to head down to Monona Terrace to watch the swimmers take off, travel to Milwaukee to take part in DR, and then head back to Madison to watch the rest of the IM.

This is a great opportunity for you to come out and show your support for the thousands of families affected by this difficult disorder.  If you'd like to learn more, please go to the Dylan's Run website or PM me.

http://dylansrun.com/

Thank you for your support!

Jesse (BunnyT)

2008-07-21 5:11 PM
in reply to: #1546325

User image

Expert
Madison
Subject: RE: Dylan's Run for Autism - Milwaukee Summerfest Grounds
Hi Jesse-

This is a great cause. My 9 year old son is also on the Autism Spectrum and although he is high functioning, we do see him struggle with things that typical children will never have to deal with. Despite his challenges, we love him completely and are often amazed at how his little mind works!

I have already signed up to volunteer for IMMOO and won't be able to participate in the race, but I was wondering if you are accepting pledges. I saw on the website that I could send a check, but I would rather pledge to you and your son if I am able. Please let me know.

By the way, My little guy will be participating in Saturday's Tri-ing for Children Event! It's his first Tri and I think I am more excited than he is! He has done the Du Run Run (kid's duathlon) in Fitchburg a few times in the past and was completely happy with his last place finish both times!

Thanks for posting this.
2008-07-21 9:38 PM
in reply to: #1546325

User image

Veteran
Madison, WI
Subject: RE: Dylan's Run for Autism - Milwaukee Summerfest Grounds

What a fantastic story!  First Tri this saturday...wow   We too love Aaron just the way he is.  It's hard some days when you see "normal" children running around and playing with their friends and you know Aaron will probably never be like that, but mostly we don't think much other than "he's our son!"

We can absolutely accept pledges - thank you for thinking of us that way.  I'll PM you for details.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Dylan's Run for Autism - Milwaukee Summerfest Grounds Rss Feed