Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Super Bowl Mea Culpa Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2005-01-29 10:41 AM

User image

Philadelphia, south of New York and north of DC
Subject: Super Bowl Mea Culpa
After rereading a post I wrote yesterday in the Eagles fans UNITE! thread, I realized that I may have unintentionally insulted some of my fellow BT'ers. The post was a poor attempt at some good natured ribbing. I think I should leave comedic writing to those with a talent for it. A tone that may be fine around a water cooler or at a party does not necessarily come accross in written form, at least not when I write it.

I have the greatest respect for all of you as athletes yourselves, and as fans of whatever sports you follow. My concern this morning is that I do not disrupt a community spirit that makes this site such a great one.

So please forgive me for a little overzelous enthusiasm. I know that the mutual support we give each other as we pursue our athletic goals will still be needed long after this Super Bowl game is over.

Edited by dontracy 2005-01-29 10:44 AM

2005-01-29 11:27 AM
in reply to: #110006

User image

Resident Matriarch
N 43° 32.927 W 071° 24.431
Subject: RE: Super Bowl Mea Culpa
no apology necessary.  It was taken in the intended spirit, even tho you obviously don't know the sports culture of the region.  It is Sox first, Patriots second.  That's just the way it is.  And there are plenty of bandwagon Sox fans who bail at the first sign of trouble and want back on when the ship rights itself.  Whatever, there's plenty of room.

But to set the record straight, the Patriots did not move out of Boston when they needed a new stadium.  Gillette Stadium is built exactly where the old Foxboro stadium stood for years.  The Patriots were the Boston Patriots in 1959 and played at Boston University and other college fields and Fenway Park for more than 10 years until the Sullivan family moved them to Schaefer Stadium in Foxboro, where they have been ever since.  In 1971 they were named the New England Patriots, and in '82 Schaefer was renamed Sullivan Stadium after the owners.  These were lean years my friend, tough times to be a Pats fan.

The Sullivan family was not interested in fielding a winning team, only interested in it as a business venture (much like Jeremy Jacobs of the Bruins these days).  Victor Kiam bought the team in '88, and it was his CEO who hired Parcells.  Kiam lasted 4 years and was quite a spectacle himself.  Bob Kraft took over in '94 and built the new stadium entirely with private funds, unlike what is going on in TX with the new stadium in Arlington.  People here were in such an uproar over a publicly funded privately owned business, that Kraft threatened to move the team to CT.  There was actually a deal inked for the move that Kraft backed out of and the rest, as they say, is history. 

So the New England Patriots have played at Gillette since 2002, and I'm not positive, but I don't think they've lost a home game since the stadium opened. 

Anything else you'd like to know?  Don't be afraid to ask, I'd love to set the record straight 
2005-01-29 3:12 PM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

Don....it's all good...

Geez Ellen, that's quite the dissertation.  I've got an email that I just might post about the heartbreak of Eagles fans over the past 25-30 years.

2005-01-29 4:09 PM
in reply to: #110090

User image

Resident Matriarch
N 43° 32.927 W 071° 24.431
hehehe....send it to me next week, after you add one more chapter about losing!  LOL
2005-01-29 8:06 PM

User image

Master
Virginia Beach, VA

Ellen,

Great history of the Pats, and those lean years were very lean. I grew up not far from Foxboro and can remember those years. You are also correct, they haven't lost in the new stadium.

2005-02-02 8:20 AM

User image

Expert
Potomac, Maryland
Don - Don't see what would prompt a mea culpa unless it was my riposte which was also meant in fun.  It's just sports and besides, what good is it to be champs if we can't take a ribbing?

2005-02-02 10:09 AM
in reply to: #111444

User image

Philadelphia, south of New York and north of DC
Ken, no worries on your repost.

My concern was simply this; all of the dissing posts up until mine were aimed at the opposing teams.  You know, the Patriot's suck, the Eagles suck, the Falcons suck, the Steelers suck, ect.  I don't think anyone had aimed a missive at fellow BTers.

I really value this site.  It's been a key to my training success.  And I know from other experiences, that sometimes posts that are meant in good humor can instead ruffle feathers and sometimes end friendships.  I guess it's the nature of the medium.

Although my post was not such a big deal, I just felt the need to be clear about my intentions.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Super Bowl Mea Culpa Rss Feed