General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Doping a big issue in triathlon too? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2008-07-22 10:28 AM

User image

Expert
Medina, MN
Subject: Doping a big issue in triathlon too?
Seeing all professional cyclists getting caught for doping year after year makes me wonder how much doping is going on with professional triathletes. I don't get the impression that there's as much testing of the triathletes, does anyone know? I certainly would like to believe that triathlon is radically different, but then I feel like I'm probably just believing what I want to be true..... Any thoughts?

-Matt

2008-07-22 12:09 PM
in reply to: #1548727

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
Subject: RE: Doping a big issue in triathlon too?

Ever hear of Nina Kraft?

My theory is that it is driven by money/endorsements.  Not as much money curently in triathlon as other sports like baseball, cycling or track & field, etc., so not as much doping going on, but I would imagine it's still there to some degree if you look hard enough. 

For the record, my doping takes place after the event with a nice Merlot or an occasional Michelob Ultra. 

Mark

2008-07-22 12:15 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-07-23 11:50 AM

Expert
Medina, MN
Yes, have heard of Nina Kraft, but that's it I think. I'm sure there aren't a whole lot of weekend warriors trying to track down their local EPO dealer, but I wonder if there's a whole lot more pros that dope than we suspect.
2008-07-23 11:58 AM
in reply to: #1549134

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Spokes - 2008-07-22 1:15 PM I think most amateur/recreational triathletes have a LONG ways to go before doping would improve their performances as much as a good training plan/coach will.

You don't understand much about doping then.  I would seriously doubt that the AG ranks are 'clean'.

2008-07-23 12:00 PM
in reply to: #1552519

Not a Coach
Media, PA

MLJ - 2008-07-23 12:50 PM

I'm sure there aren't a whole lot of weekend warriors trying to track down their local EPO dealer[...]

I certainly don't know that there's a 'whole lot' (certainly hope not), but I'm pretty sure they're out there.  It's not really that hard to do if you were so inclined and had the money (which many triathletes do).

2008-07-24 7:44 AM

Elite
Armpit of Ontario

The pros are tested and other big names have been in the spotlight in recent memory - Rutger Beke spent a couple of years clearing his name recently. A Chinese women's olympic athlete was banned for doping recently as well - quite a few triathletes, although not in the numbers you hear associated with cycling. Just google "doping" and "triathlete" and you'll see the tip of the iceberg. For pros, the reward vs risk is low, since salaries are pathetic and really, only the Kona, Clearwater and world cup champions tap into sponsorship contracts that are large enough to be able to support them.

Honestly, I think it's in the competetive AG'ers where the most doping occurs; little chance of being caught and for those racing, the rewards are high, at least in their eyes.  As someone else stated, many top AGers have the financial means to train as much or more than some pros do, have the same high-level coaching, sponsors, but essentially investing their own money and time into getting to Kona. We're talking very, very driven people.

Edited by sty 2008-07-24 7:48 AM
2008-07-24 10:07 AM

Veteran
St. Paul, MN
There was another woman who recently got reinstated too, but I cannot remember. I thought she was in one of the recent Triathlete mags, but I might be mistaken and I cannot remember the full story. What I seem to remember is that she maintains her innocence on not intentionally ingesting the illegal substance and that it was something in one of the supplement companies she was sponsored through. She was recently reinstated after her 2 year ban. Does anyone else know who I'm talking about?
2008-07-24 10:09 AM

Veteran
St. Paul, MN
What do you know...no sooner do I post and I find who it is...Rebekah Keat! Here's the link to Triathlete Mag with the original article in 2005 for the story.

http://www.triathletemag.com/Departments/News/2005/story16fb.htm

2008-07-25 7:48 AM
in reply to: #1552519

Veteran
Arlington, VA
I'm sure there aren't a whole lot of weekend warriors trying to track down their local EPO dealer...

Yeah, I have to disagree here as well. The FOP at the races in major cities is extraordinarily fast, even for small races. People don't think twice about 12k bikes and $150 shoes you can't even get 200 miles on, why stop at equipment?

I have never heard or seen anyone get tested who wasn't pro level. Anyone?
2008-07-25 4:11 PM
in reply to: #1558285

Coach
Boston, MA

matthewjt - 2008-07-25 7:48 AM
I'm sure there aren't a whole lot of weekend warriors trying to track down their local EPO dealer...
Yeah, I have to disagree here as well. The FOP at the races in major cities is extraordinarily fast, even for small races. People don't think twice about 12k bikes and $150 shoes you can't even get 200 miles on, why stop at equipment? I have never heard or seen anyone get tested who wasn't pro level. Anyone?
so FOP at competitive races do so cuz they dope? LMAO!

I don't doubt there might be some AGers dumb enough to spend $$ and risk health issues to win a cheap medal and a container of Heed but IMO the number is not that big nor representative of the sport competitive AGers. many FOP are fast cuz of good genetics and LOTS of training...

2008-07-25 4:31 PM
in reply to: #1560039

Pro
Woodstock,GA
amiine - 2008-07-25 5:11 PM

Yeah, I have to disagree here as well. The FOP at the races in major cities is extraordinarily fast, even for small races. People don't think twice about 12k bikes and $150 shoes you can't even get 200 miles on, why stop at equipment? I have never heard or seen anyone get tested who wasn't pro level. Anyone?

I don't doubt there might be some AGers dumb enough to spend $$ and risk health issues to win a cheap medal and a container of Heed but IMO the number is not that big nor representative of the sport competitive AGers. many FOP are fast cuz of good genetics and LOTS of training...

I would agree for the most part....but you hear whispers about people every now and again....I wouldn't say they are doing it for the cheap medal and the bottle of HEED but more so for the ego boost that it gives them and how they are revered by their friends and collegues.

For the most part I don't really think its a huge problem although I don't doubt that if you tested the winners of each AG at some major races there would be a few "hot" tests.

2008-07-25 10:22 PM
in reply to: #1560072

Veteran
Arlington, VA
Rocket Man - 2008-07-25 4:31 PM

I would agree for the most part....but you hear whispers about people every now and again....I wouldn't say they are doing it for the cheap medal and the bottle of HEED but more so for the ego boost that it gives them and how they are revered by their friends and collegues.

For the most part I don't really think its a huge problem although I don't doubt that if you tested the winners of each AG at some major races there would be a few "hot" tests.

I agree it is more about the ego than anything the win/top 3 provides. I know how psycho I was about moving up in the pack a few years back. Dieting, equipment, the best training I could find... it's not a far jump from 50g of protein after a workout and supplements to protein, supplements and 'supplements'. Again, I agree it's a few, but it is there.

Rocket - How can you say that if you tested the winners of an AG (competitive) and there were some hot tests that it isn't an issue. To tie this back into the TdF part of the forum, Ricco really rode away in a few stages. Everyone who watched remembers his breakaway in Stage 9.

It isn't a tiny advantage like hidden rear brakes or what type of aero helmet you bring. It's big.
2008-07-26 2:18 PM
in reply to: #1560591

Pro
Woodstock,GA
matthewjt - 2008-07-25 11:22 PM
Rocket Man - 2008-07-25 4:31 PM

I agree it is more about the ego than anything the win/top 3 provides. I know how psycho I was about moving up in the pack a few years back. Dieting, equipment, the best training I could find... it's not a far jump from 50g of protein after a workout and supplements to protein, supplements and 'supplements'. Again, I agree it's a few, but it is there. Rocket - How can you say that if you tested the winners of an AG (competitive) and there were some hot tests that it isn't an issue. To tie this back into the TdF part of the forum, Ricco really rode away in a few stages. Everyone who watched remembers his breakaway in Stage 9. It isn't a tiny advantage like hidden rear brakes or what type of aero helmet you bring. It's big.

I don't think I was clear in what I said....what I intended to say was if you tested every AG winner at every sanctioned race accross the country then you would probably get a few hot tests, for the most part though I believe that triathletes aren't dirty.

2008-07-27 12:03 AM

Master
Portland, Oregon

It may be the same percentage. How many guys got busted out of the Tour? was it 3 or 4? How many started? 180  There's your percentage- maybe 2-3%. There may be more than that, but guess what? They aren't winning the stages. So how much did it really help them individually? A re-up on their contract perhaps. Not even that if the sponsor decides to move on next year. Then they're scrambling like all the rest. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't risk my career just to be somebody else's domestique. But then my livlihood never depended on top notch physical performance.

2008-07-27 7:46 PM
in reply to: #1562007

Pro
Woodstock,GA
ell-in-or - 2008-07-27 1:03 AM

It may be the same percentage. How many guys got busted out of the Tour? was it 3 or 4? How many started? 180  There's your percentage- maybe 2-3%. There may be more than that, but guess what? They aren't winning the stages. So how much did it really help them individually? A re-up on their contract perhaps. Not even that if the sponsor decides to move on next year. Then they're scrambling like all the rest. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't risk my career just to be somebody else's domestique. But then my livlihood never depended on top notch physical performance.

Ricardo Ricco won two stages....and even if they aren't winning stages if they can close a break or pull their leader a little bit farther up the mountain then it does matter.

2008-07-28 3:21 AM
in reply to: #1561331

Elite
Spring, TX

Rocket Man - 2008-07-26 11:18 PM for the most part though I believe that triathletes aren't dirty.

This is what I hear a lot from most people on this issue.  They "believe" that AG triathlon is clean.  I tend to agree, but wouldn't be the least bit surprised to learn differently.  Just because it's a hobby for most people with no financial gain doesn't mean cheating won't occur.

Think about the guys in the weight room juiced up on steroids.  Most of them don't even compete in anything, yet they'll spend hundreds or thousands of dollars on drugs to satisfy their egos.  For Type A triathletes, the drive to improve could easily lead down that road. 

I would like to see random testing at bigger races for age groupers.  As the sport grows there need to be systems in place to ensure it maintains its credibility. 

2008-07-28 7:27 AM

Elite
Preferably on my bike somewhere
My personal opinion is that triathlon is just as dirty as every other sport. AG included.

2008-07-28 8:47 AM
in reply to: #1561331

Coach
Boston, MA

Sure, I don't doubt there are more than a few dirty AGers but the percentage IMO must be pretty small. The reason I say this is because I've trained at one point or another with some of the fastest AGers (or Pros) around New England; those who win most local races, those who place very high or win most competitive races in the area (IMLP, Timberman, Mooseman, etc) and those who finished at the top of the USAT Rankings both regional and national.

I've spent weekends away training and just tearing each others legs apart I guess it could be easy to assume regular AGers with jobs and families can't be that fast but genetics aside (which play a big role) these guys are fast cuz they are the ones who train the most. They are motivated enough to train more consistently; they also have the experience to back off when pain and aches are lurking and press through when mental motivation is an issue. They are very disciplined; they are the 1st in the pool early AM, watch what they eat and are the onese going to bed at 9-10pm. IOW they do the work week after week and don't sweat the details, they JFT.

Of course, any of them could get some extra ilegal thing to help, I just find it hard to believe and definitely I don't see it as some chronic problem in the sport. Maybe I am very naive or just lucky to be able to spend time with guys how work their tails off, have fun pushing each others bodies and enjoy the tri lifestyle a lot.

2008-07-28 8:48 AM
in reply to: #1563626

Coach
Boston, MA
D.Z. - 2008-07-28 7:27 AM My personal opinion is that triathlon is just as dirty as every other sport. AG included.
do you personally know many Pros and/or AGers doping?
2008-07-28 9:15 AM
in reply to: #1563752

over a barrier
Until AG'ers have the chance to start winning money, sponsers that pay $$, or big ticket prizes (cars etc) you won't see much doping. I'm sure they are some but its a very small minority. No point really....The level of doping is much smaller as well, Its not like AG'ers have blood bags in coolers.

2008-07-28 10:18 AM
in reply to: #1563752

Elite
amiine - 2008-07-28 9:48 AM

D.Z. - 2008-07-28 7:27 AM My personal opinion is that triathlon is just as dirty as every other sport. AG included.
do you personally know many Pros and/or AGers doping?

Nope, but I don't need to to know it's there. We've already listed the pros who have been caught and punished. We also know that there are others out there using and aren't getting caught (does anyone honestly believe that the testing that is done is 100% accurate?). We also know that people don't need to be professional to cheat. You yourself suggested you may be naive to think it's not there. I choose not to be so naive (on this topic). Ego plays a big role in peoples willingness to cheat, even to their own detriment (it's like smoking - there is an immediate benefit, but long term cost).

You're anecdotal evidence, while nice, is personal opinion. I'm not suggesting your cycling partners are doping, but it is still personal opinion (unless you've tested them or been privy to the testing and the results). I'm sure that there are dopers who train just as hard as non-dopers - level of training has nothing to do with it. When an ego is involved, every edge you can get is fair-game. As long as you don't get caught.

ETA - I said doping, but I am including all performance enhancers that are banned substances like HGH, steroids, etc.

Edited by D.Z. 2008-07-28 10:19 AM
2008-07-28 10:48 AM
in reply to: #1564071

Coach
Boston, MA

D.Z. - 2008-07-28 10:18 AM Nope, but I don't need to to know it's there. We've already listed the pros who have been caught and punished. We also know that there are others out there using and aren't getting caught (does anyone honestly believe that the testing that is done is 100% accurate?). We also know that people don't need to be professional to cheat. You yourself suggested you may be naive to think it's not there. I choose not to be so naive (on this topic). Ego plays a big role in peoples willingness to cheat, even to their own detriment (it's like smoking - there is an immediate benefit, but long term cost). You're anecdotal evidence, while nice, is personal opinion. I'm not suggesting your cycling partners are doping, but it is still personal opinion (unless you've tested them or been privy to the testing and the results). I'm sure that there are dopers who train just as hard as non-dopers - level of training has nothing to do with it. When an ego is involved, every edge you can get is fair-game. As long as you don't get caught. ETA - I said doping, but I am including all performance enhancers that are banned substances like HGH, steroids, etc.

well I asked because I've heard this kind of statements before coming from people who either a) haven't done the training anywhere near of what their bodies can adapt in order to produce solid results b) don't have much first hand experience training with pro/top AGers or c) just Not suggesting you are in any of those camps, but it is kind of ironic to think that just because someone is faster than you they must be on something.

AS I said, I don;t doubt there are some bad seeds on the AG ranks and of course I am not willing to put my life on the line for any of the top AGers I mentioned before just because I don’t spend 24 hrs with them. However as I said before I rely my opinion on the 1st hand experience I have by training with them and by the information I have access to with their training logs (power files/GPS files/HRM files). After long sessions everyone is wasted (they don't magically recovered from one day to the next), their Threshold pace/power donr' magically jump to an amazing number overnight, the don't magically are able to absorb huge amounts of load, etc.

Based on the training they do vs the results they achieve there is not reason for me to believe that their success is not a results of just hard training, in particular when their results are nothing out of the ordinary - top AGers winning times are usually still far from the top tier pros. If I would see a top AG training inconsistently, not doing much training and out of nowhere posting impressive results, well yes that would be suspicious for sure..

Finally, I believe it was at the science of sports (http://www.sportsscientists.com/) where I read a few nice post in terms of what doping is, how it works, etc and basically it was explained that attempting to do so by amateur athletes wasn’t as easy as ordering some online products and start taking them. I honestly can’t tell you if that is true or not cuz I have no idea how or what works, but those guys know their stuff and I thought the post interesting as it debunked some myths you read often on forums like this.

Maybe you have more knowledge about it and you can explain in detail how it works and how easy would be for anyone to benefit from it? You seem quite convinced many tri pros and tri AGers (we are talking about triathlons) so I must assume you have some sort of 1st hand experience/information...

2008-07-28 10:50 AM

Veteran
Chilliwack B.C
Don't under estimate peoples desire to succeed and willingness to try anything to do so. I played Rugby both at the local club level and professionally in Japan (mostly a benchwamer).

It was at the local level that I saw a huge amount of steriod use, not so much at the pro level.

Many of the players had no desire to go above the local level they just wanted to be better in their own club. Most used just to look better and not even for the performance aspect. The stuff is also cheaper then one would expect, and very easy to get.

Of course this was Rugby and not Triathlon, but I think human nature is somewhat the same no matter what sport.

That being said I assume that everyone is clean unless they prove otherwise.
2008-07-28 11:12 AM
in reply to: #1564187

Elite
amiine - 2008-07-28 11:48 AM

You seem quite convinced many tri pros and tri AGers (we are talking about triathlons) so I must assume you have some sort of 1st hand experience/information...

"My personal opinion is that triathlon is just as dirty as every other sport. AG included. " This is my original post. I stand by it - it is purposefully vague. I don't think "many" tri pro and tri AGers are doping - although I don't know what "many" (your word) means. 10%? 20%? 50%? I don't know. If you think that my statement makes "many" of the top pros and amatuers of baseball, cycling, tennis, football, rugby, weightlifting, track and field, etc. are dirty, that's not my accusation. I think it is like every other sport. There are cheaters, and there are good genetics, and there are people who make it without either of those.

Lets look at baseball (yeah, different sport, I know, but we can draw some parallels). There were some players, marginal players, that tested positive. There are also some greats who tested positive. Simply taking performance enhancing drugs doesn't turn you into a great player. Look at all the guys on the tour who have tested positive but never saw a Tour podium. Maybe they didn't do it right. Maybe they wanted that extra "little bit" to keep them competitive, and not make them a champion. Maybe they tried it once, and got caught the first time. We won't ever know.

Look - I love the tri lifestyle that I am able to achieve in my own little world. Am I a great triathlete and ultimate judge of everyone else? Nope. But I'm healthier now than since I was in high school. But that love doesn't blind me to the fact that there are people out there who want to win so badly, in whatever category they choose to compete in, will do whatever it takes to win. In that respect, triathlon is dirty like every other sport.

I hope that clears my position on cheating in triathlon of all levels.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Doping a big issue in triathlon too? Rss Feed  

of 2