General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What to do with HR and power info? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-07-22 4:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sunny San Diego
Subject: What to do with HR and power info?
So like many other people here, I've got a heart rate monitor and I can see what my HR was after a workout. But, I'm asking you guys what do I do with that data?

I understand the concept of easy/hard workouts and training zones, but I can use perceived exertion as good as a HR monitor for that.

I guess the same goes for a power meter if I ever decide to invest in one. I'd see some cool data... but is it really a useful or necessary tool for improvement?

2008-07-22 4:13 PM
in reply to: #1550071

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Subject: RE: What to do with HR and power info?

joker70 - 2008-07-22 4:06 PM  I understand the concept of easy/hard workouts and training zones, but I can use perceived exertion as good as a HR monitor for that. 

Yep. Seems like all my HRM has done for me is verify my RPE. It does give you specific info to record and study, though to what end I do not know.

2008-07-22 4:31 PM

Regular
I'm going to go big picture on this one…I'm not going to tell you that you can use the info to moderate (make sure you are working hard or easy enough) your training because you likely already know this.

I have a Garmin Edge 305 with heart rate monitor and speed & cadence sensor). I have found this info very useful to help "see" myself getting fitter, faster, and stronger. With the data it provides I can compare two rides on the same course 6 months apart and can see that if I ride at the same pace in the latest workout, my heart rate is 10 bpm slower. Or that if I maintain the same heart rate I finish the workout 10 minutes faster.

You do need to spend a little time analyzing, but the info can be useful. Now that I can see how I've improved I am planning on trying different training tactics to see which particular tactic improves my performance. For instance...I'm a spinner on the bike so my legs often give out if I try to push a harder gear. I'm planning on spending the next 4 months doing intervals (4-5 minutes of 85 rpm in that gear that I can only maintain for the 4-5 minutes in the 80-85% heart rate zone). I've ridden a hilly course and flat straight section close to my house as my starting point and then in 4 months I'm going to ride these 2 courses again and compare times at given efforts (heart rate zones). Maybe it won't be worth my wile to focus on getting stronger (I doubt that somehow)...maybe I'll see that I'm better off learning to spin faster??? Only time (and my heart rate monitor and cadence sensor) will tell.

That's one example of how to get started…I was a lot like you at first…it was information overload and I had no idea where to begin. It took me a long time to see how I could really use the info – and I'm still learning.
2008-07-22 11:15 PM
in reply to: #1550148

User image

Champion
i am going to throw out some of my thoughts too.

RPE and what is actually going on can be very very diff things. i have trained at a very high level in rowing, and am shooting for the same in triahtlon. i have trained with HR, power, and effort.

the more you are training, the less effective effort can be. there are a ton of factors that inclunce this (and HR) such as: hydration, mood, weather, sleep, food, other people, music, and the list goes on and on.

Power does no change, no matter what.

that does not mean that a PM is needed, far from it. it simply gives you the absolute in everything, you KNOW what you are doing, and if its working, and how well. you can do just enough work to get the job done when tired, and you know when you are pushing hard, or when you think you but are not really which can help to know if you are overtrained or sick etc.

2008-07-24 10:23 AM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA

joker70 - 2008-07-22 4:06 PM So like many other people here, I've got a heart rate monitor and I can see what my HR was after a workout. But, I'm asking you guys what do I do with that data? I understand the concept of easy/hard workouts and training zones, but I can use perceived exertion as good as a HR monitor for that. I guess the same goes for a power meter if I ever decide to invest in one. I'd see some cool data... but is it really a useful or necessary tool for improvement?
necessary? probably not; those who have trained for many years and are in tune with their bodies can very accurately gauge training efforts however it takes practice and experience to reach that point. OTOH if you learn how to use a power meter properly it will become a very effective training tool and take the guessing our of the equation making your training more efficient. It won't only be a measure of intensity but it will become a data collecting device which can help you disect traiining sessions in different ways; the problem is that a big number of PM users dont know how to do this hence it tends to become an expensive cycling computer.

HRM is more subjetive and variable hence I prefer RPE over HR although for beginners or long steady efforts (like bike leg on IM) a HR can be a great training/pacing tool to complement RPE.

2008-07-24 11:18 AM
in reply to: #1550094

User image

Champion
the colony texas

for HR monitors it helps me more when I'm on the trainer on the bike, my RPE on the trainer to HR is something I not really in tune with and it helps me a lot there.

For running I usually do a local marathon every december and the HR monitor helps me in October when the temp and the humidity drop a lot,, Before using the HRM I'd end up going to hard on my easy days or long runs since it would be 20 degrees cooler throwing off my RPE..

Don't have power but I think it is great if you have a coach, where they can see your files and know  if you are doing the effort that they intended you to do

2008-07-24 3:32 PM

User image

Boulder, Colorado

I could write a book in giving you an answer, but mostly, a HRM is going to give you info you'll never if you don't have one. What if you go out for a run, feel great, and run your normal pace but your HR was sky high but you never knew it? Would you treat recovery any different if you did? Of course. What if just the opposite and your HR was low and you couldn't get it higher? Would you be concerned? How do you know you are going 'easy' on your easy days without a HRM? How do you know you are able to push into the right zones without one? I could go on and on. As for power, lots of the same questions but lined up with a different and more reliable measuremant - acutal work done. I can't tell you how much my crew has improved over the last few years by using a power meter. Its simple really - a good training plan and race day execution. If you can do those two things, you'll keep improving - but its even easier with a HRM or Power meter.

Back to chasing a 10 month old around the house.

2008-07-24 7:06 PM

User image

Denver, CO
I found with the HRM that when I do bricks my RPE is way off. I train with a Garmin 305 so when I get off the bike and start the run I *feel* like I am going slowly (RPE is low) but in fact I am going much faster than I want to (or can maintain) and my heart rate is high. Sure, maybe now I know this now but I wouldn't have figured this out without a HRM. And without a HRM I may not know if this effect changes over time and training/load.

So how has this affected me? Well, not so much but my first two Olympics I walked some of the run to a lot of the run. The last Olympic I was at least able to run the entire run. My overall time has not changed very much between these events.

Of course your RPE may be accurate.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What to do with HR and power info? Rss Feed