General Discussion Triathlon Talk » OWS Training in Lafayette Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-07-23 11:05 AM

Subject: OWS Training in Lafayette
  I was wondering if anyone knew what organization the lake near the airport (where the Cajunman is conducted) belonged to.  I know the there is a sign at the road that says it belongs to the ULL ski team, but the uLL website has almost no information on the ski team, much less the lake.  The reason I am wondering is I was looking for a location to get some Open Water Swim training, without having to worry about gators, snakes, etc.

2008-07-23 11:34 AM
in reply to: #1552325

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Subject: RE: OWS Training in Lafayette

The site doesn't belong to the ULL ski team, it is owned by the University itself and leased to the private company that operates the water safety training facility there. The water skiing team and CajunMan are allowed to use it with special permission, but the company is less than forthcoming about allowing others to use it. We've tried with our tri club without success.

As far as OWS opportunities, there aren't many. I've gone to Lake Fausse Point SP and had my wife follow alongside in a boat, others have done similar stuff in Lake Pegnieur and other small lakes. You couldn't pay me to swim in the Vermilion. 

BTW, there is nary a body of water in south Louisiana that isn't populated by "gators, snakes, etc." Whether or not you "worry about" them is up to you.

Cool

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » OWS Training in Lafayette Rss Feed