General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Suggestions for bike & run technique reading? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-02-24 12:42 PM

New user

Greenwich, CT
Subject: Suggestions for bike & run technique reading?
I did a bit of reading abt swimming technique (mostly Terry Laughlin, some Steve Tarpinian) since I considered that to be my weakest event, and was astounded at how quickly I improved. Do you guys have your favorites as far as cycling and running technique reading that is not too complex but that you have found to be useful/effective?

2004-02-24 9:21 PM
in reply to: #9123

User image

Regular
Lakewood, CO
Subject: RE: Suggestions for bike & run technique reading?
biking and running are much less "technical" than swimming, so you will not find as much written on technique.
There ar books about training for the marathon or speed work workouts, or bike training. I would suggest sampling some at the local library to see what is available.
2004-02-24 9:36 PM

Veteran
Singapore
Congrats on your improvement in swimming. I just got the total immersion book by Terry Laughlin on swimming from the library yesterday after reading about it from a post by DharmaBum. Is the drills in the book really effective in improving your swim times??? Or is it just hype?
If you have already nailed down the proper swimming technique then I think that running and biking is just a matter of training and sheer determination.
2004-02-25 8:46 AM

New user
Subject: Running-
You can try The Pose Method-
http://www.posetech.com/
I haventgotten far enough to really strat it myself-
Some people are true believers of this and others hate it. Reading the book myself, I see where it makes total sense.
2004-02-25 9:30 AM
in reply to: #9197

Extreme Veteran
Fort Wayne, IN
For me and I know a few others that have been using the TI method of swimming it has helped tremendously.  The drills do work and for that matter work on your fitness at the same time.  I went from barely finishing 25 yrds without drowning to warming up with 100yrds then doing drills and finishing with a 50 or a 100.  I went from swimming 400 total yards in 30 min to now getting in 1000 yards in 30 mins.  There are quite a few rest breaks that the drills give you to keep you fresh but I would highly recommend the book, video or class for TI.  It seems like you are getting no where and then one day you just feel right.  I am to the point where I can tell if I am swimming right or not.  I am not perfect nor am I close to where I want to be but I am getting there slowly but getting there.  I just decided to cut the drills to 2 days per week and one day just swimming intervals, not fast intervals but working on using what I learned and concentrate on swimming correctly.  Before this week I was doing the drills 3-4 times per week.  I hope this helps, good luck.
2004-02-25 1:42 PM

User image

Regular
North Carolina, USA
I received the book Triathlon 101 for my birthday and was working through it this past summer. It provides decent detail about every aspect of triathloning. As far as biking goes I have no suggestions for books there. However, there are a few books about running that I do have that have worked out quite well. Let me go look through my library a minute and find them....Daniel's Running Formula by Dr. Jack Daniels (yes that is his name) and there is the Complete Guide to Running by some of the authors of Runners World. Speaking of Runner's World, checking out back issues of this magazine or Running Times from your library will also help out. There usually is a lot of technique stuff in there. Hope this helps out.

Cory

2004-02-25 5:32 PM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
I've no wish to start a war but running and, especially, cycling are very technically oriented.

In running, you have to select the proper shoe for your feet as well as the type of running you want to do. You have to learn to how to run; "roll" your heel forward as you strike the ground onto the front of your foot. If you want to sprint, you strike with the forward part of the foot (I tried it and pulled a muscle...ouch!) You need to taylor a training schedule to your wants and need rather than run until everything hurts seven days a week. Back issues of Runners World will have many good articles on shoe selection, training schedules, and running techniques. Jim Fixx, running guru of the seventies and eighties, had a very good book on the subject which is probably out of print now. Triathlons for Dummies is another good source of information.

Cycling is the more technical of the three in my opinion. Your most immediate concern is the selection of a bicycle which will fit your physiology and meet all your expectations in a tri and/or on the road. Then, you need to learn the "spinning" technique and how to use your gears to give you optimum power output with minimum effort. Conserving energy until that last crucial sprint at the end is what wins a race...or in the case of a tri, conserving that energy for your final running leg. Many good articles can be had by going through back issues of Bicycling Magazine. The best book you can lay your hands on is "Zinn and the Art of Bicycle Maintenance" and as the title suggests it is all about your bike and how to keep in good working order.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Suggestions for bike & run technique reading? Rss Feed