General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Suggestions for Clydes/Athenas & Running? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2008-08-03 12:41 PM
in reply to: #1558927

User image

Champion
Calgary
Subject: RE: Suggestions for Clydes/Athenas & Running?
couch to 5k here too. Awesome program.

Running is awesome to lose weight, you just have to have the time to put into it (because one does intend to go quite slow to start off). Just put in the miles and the time, it will come. I found the time I lost the most weight was when I was triaining for my 1/2 marathon and 50km race spending 5+ hours running/walking a week.

BTW, not a big fan of running, but it works.

2008-08-08 4:29 AM

New user

I have impact issues.  I have good shoes, but I left my knees on a football field about 20 years ago.  At my current weight, I can only run for so long.  I can however run like crazy on an elliptical machine.  In fact, I can outpace most of the little skinny people most of the time.  They all think I'm crazy.  "Look at that big fat guy haulin' butt over there!" Surprised  Until some more weight comes off allowing me to put feet to pavement for a more productive length of time, I am seeing tremendous cardiovascular gains without breaking down what is left of my knees, hips, and ankles while I close the gap to the day I can resume real running.
2008-08-08 8:16 AM

User image

Veteran
Owings, MD

I didn't see anyone mention the Galloway method of running with regular walk breaks, so thought I'd chime in: 

http://jeffgalloway.com/training/walk_breaks.html

He has some free 5K and 10K plans on the site too -- http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/5k.html

I started off running 30 seconds and walking 60 seconds, and gradually moved up to intervals of 5 minutes running with 1 minute walking.  I used the 10K plan religiously in the fall/winter and did my first 10K in December with walk breaks throughout and still kept a pretty decent pace (for a non-runner!). 

After 16 months of training, I haven't had any running injuries and have lost 45 lbs. with this method.  Galloway also recommends running every other day, so on my non-running days, I swim or bike.  I think it really helped to prevent injuries especially when I was carrying around all the extra weight in the beginning.  The advice about properly fitted shoes made a huge difference for me, too, so you're well on your way. 

Good luck on your journey! 

Laurie

2008-08-08 8:44 AM
in reply to: #1577839

User image

Expert
Durham, North Carolina

Could you tell me more about the ChiRunning?

I too am having the hardest time with the run.  I peaked at 313 lbs. in Jan 2008, am now down to 254 lbs (lots of walking, 4-5 miles, alternated every couple of months with eliptical workouts of two of the 32 minute pre-programmed "weight loss" program).

I have huge legs as well (years of weightlifting, etc...) and my cardio/heartrate seems to be fine, but even at 4 mph pace my calves and sometimes thighs cramp up within a couple of minutes.

2008-08-08 7:51 PM
in reply to: #1589551

User image

I'm a novice at it, so I may not be the best judge--but I'll say this: I'm very impressed with how well it's going.  My cardio is the slowest piece to come along, but my legs feel great.  Instead of joint or tendon pains (from bottom of my feet up to my knees and hips--pick anywhere along there, and I used to have issues--even back in my Navy days, when I was a svelte 160 pounder trying to get my 1.5 mile PT run time under 10 minutes...). 

I haven't had anything more than a minor twinge the day after a run. And as for muscle soreness, nothing too bad.  It's more like the feeling after a good stretch, instead of that flaming soreness.  

I'm only on my second week of this (90 sec run/2 min walk), but very happy with the progress I've made.

The biggest differences seem to be (1) that I don't feel like I'm relying on the big leg muscles to power through my running and (2) I'm landing more mid-foot instead of heel, for which my legs are quite grateful.

It's worth looking into and giving it a try.  It feels... odd, at first.  But for me, it seems to be working. There are others who aren't fans of it, and I can understand that--that's cool.  All I know is that so far it's working for me, and that's all I care about.

2008-08-09 4:59 AM

User image

Veteran
Epsom, Surrey, UK

A marathon running friend of mine told me when I started to learn to run: "You don't learn to run by running, you learn by walking" and it is so true. 

She took me for a run session and we walked for 90seconds and ran for 30 seconds, 10 times. 

You should always walk away from a run wanting more and feeling good. That way, you'll be less likely to blow off your next run

The first time you can run for 8 minutes without stopping is the day you've broken the back of it. For me, that seems to be about how long it takes to warm up. Stuff hurts a bit and I huff and puff, but come 8 minutes, everything just settles down and I feel great

You really can do it!

2008-08-11 9:03 AM
in reply to: #1591441

User image

merlyn411 - 2008-08-08 8:51 PM

I'm a novice at it, so I may not be the best judge--but I'll say this: I'm very impressed with how well it's going. My cardio is the slowest piece to come along, but my legs feel great. Instead of joint or tendon pains (from bottom of my feet up to my knees and hips--pick anywhere along there, and I used to have issues--even back in my Navy days, when I was a svelte 160 pounder trying to get my 1.5 mile PT run time under 10 minutes...).

I haven't had anything more than a minor twinge the day after a run. And as for muscle soreness, nothing too bad. It's more like the feeling after a good stretch, instead of that flaming soreness.

I'm only on my second week of this (90 sec run/2 min walk), but very happy with the progress I've made.

The biggest differences seem to be (1) that I don't feel like I'm relying on the big leg muscles to power through my running and (2) I'm landing more mid-foot instead of heel, for which my legs are quite grateful.

It's worth looking into and giving it a try. It feels... odd, at first. But for me, it seems to be working. There are others who aren't fans of it, and I can understand that--that's cool. All I know is that so far it's working for me, and that's all I care about.

Of course, almost as soon as I wrote all that stuff like a big dummy I sabotage myself by jamming my foot on some steps and wound up with a wicked pain right under the ball of my left foot (along with a very sore big toe).  I had to skip a run day and spent the time elevating the foot, icing it, and taking NSAIDS.  Hopefully I'll be pain-free for tomorrow's scheduled run.

Grrr.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Suggestions for Clydes/Athenas & Running? Rss Feed  

of 2