General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Old "Geezer" newbie here in NW Louisiana Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-07-26 4:29 PM

Subject: Old "Geezer" newbie here in NW Louisiana
I've been lurking here and also on "Bike Forum" for several days and have gleaned some goos info already so I thought I would intro myself. I'll be 60 in Oct. and have been running since 1992 (ran 2 marathons in 1993).  Old "Arthur" itus has caused me to have to decrease my milage so I decided to try some cross training (bike and swim).  My son was already biking some on a cheap mtn bike so I picked up a wal mart commuter and joined him for some rides. After camping with his fam. in Arkansas for a week and enjoying swimming in the Little Mossouri River and biking in the foot hills, I decided to start training for a triathalon.  I purchased a road bike on Ebay about 2 weeks ago and have been increasing my biking milage and have gotten my 10 mile loop down to 41 minutes. I have been swimming two days a week in a nearby bayou(Dorcheat) trying to dodge the aligators and water moccosins! Yipes!  I'm swimming 1/2 mile in open water in about 30 minutes and hoping I can get that down to 20 min. before next Spring.  I'm shooting for some Spring triathalons next Spring and Summer here locally in Shreveport/Bossier City area.  Wish me luck to an old Geezer that is "Young at heart".

2008-07-26 9:58 PM
in reply to: #1561485

User image

Master
Granvile, Ohio
Subject: RE: Old "Geezer" newbie here in NW Louisiana
Good luck!  We're a very friendly community here and you're likely to find information on just about anything you can think of.  Take the time to fill out your logs.  Some people just enter the basic training detail, then there's me - I use my log to enter each workout, how it felt, and anything I may want to look up in the future.  The more detail you use, the easier it is to talk about what's going on.  Welcome!
2008-07-27 8:30 PM

New user
650, it sounds as if we are neighbors.  I live in the Minden area.  You have about ten years on me, but I am in the "geezer" club with you.  I am a newbie as well and have enjoyed the training and the couple of triathlons I have done.  Keep training and let me know what triathlons are in your plans.
2008-07-27 9:02 PM

Me too, I am an old geezer, 57 and loving it!

2008-07-27 9:07 PM

User image

, North Carolina

So would I be called a "geezerette" ...

Welcome to BT!

2008-07-27 9:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Santa Monica, CA
Love to hear you're taking it on 650!  Start using the log feature here and you'll be able to look back next year to where you came from.  Helps keep you going when you feel like you're not making progress.  (You are!)

2008-07-27 9:37 PM

650....Come on over to Tyler on Sep 13, they are having a sprint tri at Lake Tyler, I am going to tyr and make it my first one
2008-08-02 3:44 PM
in reply to: #1563221

NXS - 2008-07-27 8:30 PM 650, it sounds as if we are neighbors.  I live in the Minden area.  You have about ten years on me, but I am in the "geezer" club with you.  I am a newbie as well and have enjoyed the training and the couple of triathlons I have done.  Keep training and let me know what triathlons are in your plans.

Hey NXS! Thanks for the reply and welcome.  I'm in Springhill and work in Magnolia, AR.  I found a better place to swim since my last post.  Everyone was scaring me with all the talk about Bayou Dorcheat being full of big "gators".  I'm doing my swims now in Lake Columbia which has a dedicated swim area.  The deep area is bouyed and roped and is 400' long so I've been stopping by there after work (5 miles) and swimming 30-40 minutes and then heading home.  I don't hink I will make the September Tri in tyler.  I'm working 12 hr. nites that weekend and besides, I'm not at the fitness level that I want to be to do my first Triathalon.  I'm shooting for some of the Sprints next Spring and Summer in the Shreveport/Bossier City/Benton area.  I'll also be watching the Sports Spectrum site for the race in Minden (Caney Lake, I think).  Good luck and hope to see you at my first Tri.  Dan

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Old "Geezer" newbie here in NW Louisiana Rss Feed