General Discussion Triathlon Talk » cheap road bikes - some questions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-01-31 3:28 PM

User image

Elite Veteran
flatland
Subject: cheap road bikes - some questions
So I'd resolved to do at least my first tri's on my trusty and much beloved mtb. I love my precious and nothing can replace it in my heart. Yadda, yadda. But this morning the SO says "I've been thinking...you really ought to get a road bike if you're going to do this tri thing...you look uncomfortable on that mtb after about 45 minutes." Yeah, I'm lucky.

Clearly, I can do the bike portion of a sprint on this bike. My goal for this year is a handful of sprints, but unless I just absolutely hate racing I really want to do an oly and 1/2 IM next year. I don't want to spend another $1200 - $1500 on a bike right now, esp one I'm not going to ride except on a trainer and in a tri...I don't like road biking. I am also quite a sucky cyclist - check the logs if you don't believe me. Working on that, but I don't think replacing the bike will help me, since those numbers are off a trainer right now and knobby tires matters not at all. OTOH, it's not fun sitting on the mtb trying to keep the cadence up for that long, and I don't know if that's me or the bike geometry, both, neither, or what.

I'm obviously not competitive and will be happy to finish anything other than DFL this first season. If you had, say, $600 to spend, knowing you had a good solid mtb that you could put slicks on, would you bother to buy a really cheap road bike? Or would you wait and see if you were hooked, and then put that money into a good bike? Are there any road bikes out there that are even reasonably decent for less than $800? What about in the $400 - $500 range? Would rather not go with a used bike only b/c the LBS gives lifetime free tuneups and a lot of other perks on bikes bought in their shop - pays for itself pretty quickly.

I'll go talk to my LBS about this but wanted input before they start showing me things I can't/shouldn't afford...they're really good at selling me stuff.

2005-01-31 3:46 PM
in reply to: #110719

User image

Elite
Chicago
Subject: RE: cheap road bikes - some questions

For what it's worth, I race on my 1992 Specialized Stumpjumper (made out of steel and rusting) for the first 5 years of racing....so it's really up to you.

I upgraded my rims (bought the Spin Composite 3-spoke MTB rims) and put on slicks and that was that.

2005-01-31 4:12 PM

You sound kinda like me, I have a hybrid gary fisher that I plan on doing all my races on for at least a couple years. I already have an extra set of rims with road tires so I figure why buy something I may not need if I don't enjoy tri'ing after I do a few events. It's not quite the same as an actual MTB but it isn't a road bike by far. Just my opinion, I say keep using the bike you have until you really know if you enjoy it, then reward yourself with a nice bike. You might even be able to borrow a bike from your LBS to ride on race-day if you are considering buying a road bike. I have a buddy that did that for a tri he was in. He wasn't sure if he wanted to stick to it so they gave him a loaner to test out. In the end he didn't keep doing them so it was money well-saved.
2005-01-31 4:38 PM

User image

Expert
White House, TN
Would I spend $600 on an entry-level road bike or put that money toward an even better bike? I would buy the entry level bike especially now because your LBS may have 2004 models that it wants to move before people get the bug to buy a new bike when spring/ summer hits. You should be able to get a 2004 model for about 20% less than it's 2005 counterpart right now.

The difference between an entry-level road bike and a mountain bike with slicks and lighter wheels is going to be big...probably bigger than the jump from a $600 to a $1600 bike. As you jump like that, you lose a few pounds off the bike. In my case, it's a whole lot better for the few pounds to come off of ME before the price upgrade.

I started with an entry level bike (1997 Trek 1220 that I bought new in 1999 for $500) and I put 10000 miles on it before I decided to upgrade to my carbon fiber stealth ride this year. I would have been really embarrassed had I saved up for a $1600 bike and then not liked it. It was only when I experienced the basics that I realized how much I like cycling as a sport. Also, bikes are extremely interchangeable so that, if you want to make the entry-level bike faster, you can upgrade wheels, headsets, components, even frame. to make it a little lighter yet. Basically, keep in mind that once you've bought a bike, there are still ways to make it better than when it started without buying a whole new bike.

Just my $0.02
2005-02-01 6:23 PM

User image

COURT JESTER
ROCKFORD, IL
I picked up an aluminum frame 1990 Trek 1200 for $250 (included basic bike computer) and clipless pedals. Have only added aerobars and moved the gear levers from the dropdown bar to the end of the aerobars for better stability while shifiting.

Consider a basic used bike if you are just starting out. Just make sure it fits and that it's professionally adjusted to fit you.

....thoughts from the peanut gallery anyway....
2005-02-04 9:54 AM
in reply to: #111290

Veteran
MO

I second that!!! I bought my bike used on eBay, and I LOVE it. It's a 1997 Cannondale R800 with all Ultegra components (except they used to be called 600 back then), and I paid $400 for it. I put some clip-on aerobars on it, and it's going to do the job just fine for the next two or three years, at least.

Of course buying a bike sight unseen from someone you don't know can be a gamble, but if you can get the information you want it's a good way to get a lot of bike for a little money.

2005-02-04 11:47 AM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario

YES, a road bike will make a world of difference.  Think of your tri gear as tools; would you hammer a nail with a sledgehammer?   It is feasable but a hammer would do a better  job.  By the same token, you can do a tri on a mountain bike but a road bike is a better tool for that job. 

2005-02-06 12:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
I got a brand new Winchester (I think) off of Ebay for $300 bucks. Its not big name and not very fast but neither am I so we fit together. Anyway...I love it.

2005-02-08 11:21 AM

User image

Elite Veteran
flatland
Thanks all. For now I think I'm going to sit tight on the mtb, but we'll see...I go talk to the LBS this weekend about slicks, and they have this way of having me walk out with a lot more than I walked in for.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » cheap road bikes - some questions Rss Feed