General Discussion Triathlon Talk » aerospoke rims Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2003-08-07 8:59 PM

User image

Central Louisiana
Subject: aerospoke rims
I recently went thru a season of breaking spokes and started looking for rims for a Clydesdale triathlete. I called to inquire about the aerospoke rim and told them who I was and what I did. Now, I am no speedster by any stretch of the imagination, but I asked them if they wanted to sponsor a Clydesdale triathlete who could stress test their rims. They agreed and I have been riding the rims for about a month.

These rims are heavy compared to some other carbon fiber rims, but are built to withstand heavy abuse. We are talking about grams, and if I want less weight I can loose some.

So what do I think? I have only ridden hills, and I can say they have not hurt my times. I believe on a flat ride they will be faster than my old rims. I do notice that a gust of wind will tend to blow me around on the course. I have not had any problems with the rim and as a Clydesdale I am very satisfied with them. If you are having problems with breaking spokes, then this might be the rim for you.

Cost wise they are about half the cost of Zipps and a couple of hundred dollars less than Hed3's.

If you are a small rider then this rim may or may not be for you, but for Clydesdales, it may be your answer for no more broken spokes. At this point in my journey, it is more important for me to finish a race, than to dnf because of a broken spoke.

Just a side note, I am going to place a link on my website next week with a picture of my bike and how I have it set up for me. If this will help any other Clydesdale or Athena, it will be worth the time. I will post to the site when I get it uploaded

Still Tri'n
Michael

2004-08-22 6:29 PM
in reply to: #411

User image

Veteran
Mesa, AZ
Subject: RE: aerospoke rims
Michael;
I haven't had any problems with spokes until the last week. I broke a couple of spokes, had them repaired, then broke 2 more on the very next ride. Was that similar to the problems you had?

What size rims did you end up with and did uou install the rims or did you have the LBS install them for you?

John
2004-08-22 9:19 PM
in reply to: #51586

User image

Central Louisiana
Subject: RE: aerospoke rims

This was similar to the problem I was having,  I was riding the Shimano R-540 which is a good rim, but with 16 spokes when one broke, there was no limping in for me.  I have the 700's and the local bike shop sponsors me so he put them on for me.  I have another set of 540's and intended to use them for training.  Aerspokes are strong enough that I ride them all the time. 

They are much heavier than the hed 4 rim, but hed rep said they would only last me 3-4 races.  That could be expensive.  Light is the keyword for biking this day and time and a lot of the roadies didn't like them and were verbal about them. 

They are strong and they are aero.  I want ride anything else.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » aerospoke rims Rss Feed