General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Day Parting Workouts...Night and Day Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-02-25 11:36 AM

User image

Expert
Palm Coast, FL
Subject: Day Parting Workouts...Night and Day
So I've finally got myself on a program I love using a combination of the Couch to Olympic and the Triathlon 101 Book. What I dont know is whether its best to combine my sessions or do one in the evening and one at night. Right now I'm day parting.
Mon. - Bike morning 50min, Run night 25min -- Tue. - Swim morning 30min, Bike night 45min. etc...

Would it be better to do these exercises back to back in the morning or leave it as im doing it?

2004-02-25 2:18 PM
in reply to: #9266

User image

NW Suburbs of Chicago
Subject: RE: Day Parting Workouts...Night and Day
Soupa...
I think that the schedule as you show it is fine. It will give you a little rest in between workouts so that you are "ready" for the night workouts. You might want to put one workout right after as a "brick" workout in the last couple months of training.

Good luck.
2004-02-25 4:27 PM

User image

Veteran
SF East Bay
That's mostly how I am doing it. I typially do my swim in the morning and bike in the early eve and run on alternate days. It gives me a good rest in between. On tough days I take a nap in between, it really helps. Once a week I put in a brick and once a month a mock tri, but that's just me. Have fun on the workouts.

Edited by speedlee 2004-02-25 4:27 PM
2004-02-25 7:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Illinois
If you do them back to back, they're considered "brick" workouts... and i know w/less amount [how i'm doing it also] it doesn't really matter. but it sounds like you're getting up there..... what i would say is base it on feel and convinience. try it back to back and see how you feel- if you start feeling burnt out, tired all the time- then switch back.

i really would becareful with doing too many brick workouts in a row..... sorry my advice wasn't really advice. but i hope i made some sense. good luck!

2004-02-25 9:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Columbus, GA
I think that both workout styles have benefits. When you part your workouts you are fresh going in and can focus on efficiency, form, technique - also power and speed in the individual event. I think that you have to have this kind of workout in your routine for maximum effectiveness.

On the other hand, as others have pointed out, you need Bricks as well, especially if you actually practice the transition to look for efficiency there.

The point is that both styles of training have a role, they are different, but both are important. I believe that most of the workouts should be done separately.
2004-02-25 9:25 PM

User image

Expert
Palm Coast, FL
I think what im going to do is every third workout combination in a row I'll do a brick workout.

So for instance I have a swim and run on thursdays and sundays:
1) Thursday - Regular
2) Sunday - Regular
3) Thursday - Brick
4) Sunday - Regular
5) Thursday - Regular
6) Sunday - Brick

This way 2/3rds of my workouts are regular and the other 1/3rd are bricks

Edited by soupaman 2004-02-25 9:28 PM

2004-02-26 8:18 AM
in reply to: #9368

New user
From what I have read on message boards and books, the most important brick tends to be the bike/run brick. The reason is that it is hard to find your "running legs" after getting off the bike. The more you do it, the easier it becomes.

As far as splitting your workouts, it should be based on how you feel and what you can work into your life schedule.
2004-02-26 10:44 AM

User image

Veteran
St. Catharines, Ontario
I wish I could train twice a day. I need to combine my workouts or I am very likely to skip the second one and take a nap instead.
2004-02-26 11:36 AM

User image

Expert
Palm Coast, FL
I have no problem splitting them only problem is most my exercises are done in the dark or near dark. Look forward to the time change. I really like splitting them though.. Wife went out of town this morning so I had to be up at 4:45 this morning to get a run and a swim in since I'll have the munchkin myself tonight. Then tomorrow will have to combine them all after work and she'll pick the baby up from the sitters. Know exactly what you mean about sleep.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Day Parting Workouts...Night and Day Rss Feed