General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do not know where to start with the swim portion Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-07-29 11:54 PM

Subject: Do not know where to start with the swim portion

First off, I am a 26 year old female who has about 15 years of competitive running under her belt and have been forced to embrace cycling for the past 5 months due to plantar fasciitis.  I have developed into a very respective cyclist during this time.  In fact, my best average is 20.5 mph on flat terrain with help (ala. group rides).  My bike is a specialized sirrus hybrid with upright handle bars and cage-like pedals.  The people that I cycle with have suggested that I get into triathlons, but the swimming portion is currently keeping me away.  My last experience at my local aquatic center was very dismal.  I ended up drinking a lot of water. In fact, the lifeguard there said that I would have issues staying afloat with my low body fat percentage.  I am certainly lean, but I know I'm not the leanest athlete around.  I'm pretty sure Michael Phelps has a lower body fat percentage than me, and he has no problems with swimming.  Furthermore, I am not willing to gain body fat (and let the cycling and running portions suffer) in the quest towards becoming a better swimmer.  Really all that I can do right now is dog paddle.  Do I just need to start with a kickboard?  I really don't know where to start. Everytime I get in the water, it is so discouraging.  I have no swimming background.  I just want to be able to develop a stroke that enables me to swim for 30 minutes straight. What is the best way to approach swimming for a triathlon?

Edited by injuredrunner 2008-07-29 11:59 PM

2008-07-30 12:10 AM
in reply to: #1568894

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: Do not know where to start with the swim portion

Welcome to BT and congrats on your quest to become a triathlete! It is many an injured runner who has become a joyful triathlete

Take swimming lessons at your local YMCA (or equivalent). They will be able to recommend which level to start out at. Whether you take individual or group lessons, you will gain great confidence in learning proper strokes and how to move through the water. 

2008-07-30 12:52 AM

User image

Master
The Whites, New Hampshire
Your lifeguard needed to pay a little closer to the manual - body fat has VERY little to do with being a sinker or floater.

Hook up with a coach and learn front crawl (freestyle), along with some basic exercises. After a few short sessions, you should be MUCH more confident in the water, and able to join a masters swim class to start building up a base. Sounds like you just didn't get the skills you need, nothing to worry about it, and easily fixed.

Good luck!
2008-07-30 1:19 AM

User image

Veteran
San Diego, CA

Swimming is an interesting mix of comfort in the water, body position, technique, and work. That having been said, I have yet to meet the individual who cannot master swimming.

Everyone starts with a certain level of comfort in the water. The more comfortable you are with your face in the water the better things will go. If you tense up when you are in the water, you will become less buoyant, and have to work harder. The more time you spend in the water, the more at ease you will become.

When you are in the water, your body acts like the two arms of a scale. When you raise your head on one side, your feet will sink on the other side. This is where body position comes into play. When your feet are down you will produce more drag, and have to work harder to move through the water. If you can maintain a level position, and cut through the water like a torpedo, you will produce less drag, and move very efficiently through the water.

There is a lot of subtle technique in swimming. A good flutter kick, not dragging your hands on the catch phase, lengthening the stroke are just a few examples. The best bet to learn the best techniques for you, is to get with a masters group or a good coach. A coach can analyze your specific stroke, and introduce the specific technique and drills that will help you become the most efficient at moving through the water.

The final element is simply putting in the work. Just like the run and the bike you have to put the mileage in. Start at 500 yards and keep adding 50 to 100 yards additional to each workout. Work toward being comfortable swimming 2X the distance of the event you are training for.

Be confident, you can swim.

Cheers

2008-07-30 5:40 AM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
I too started as a runner and really struggled with swimming. I agree with Triaya, find a good swim coach and get some lessons either in a group or through privates.  I have relatively low body fat, but that had nothing to do with my inability to swim 25 yards without being totally breathless at the end.  It was all about body position in the water. A good coach can watch you swim and provide the kind of advice you need to get you swimming.  Don't expect it to be totally easy.  Swimming takes a lot of technique and a lot of patience.

Edited by SSMinnow 2008-07-30 5:41 AM
2008-07-30 8:43 AM

User image

Expert
oregon ave,

Body fat doesn't mean your a sinker or not.  The swim portion is usually the part that most people get hung up on, so your not alone.  There are a million things to be done, which sometimes is the problem.  Here is my 2 cents.... Be patient!  It may take months or longer to learn how to swim.  Then it may take many months or longer to get efficient at it.  Then it may take many months or longer to get fast.  I would highly recommend getting the Total Immersion-Freestyle Made Easy video.  It is a real good way to get you doing laps in a pool.

By the way.  13 months ago I couldn't swim 50 yards at all.  And I know that SS Minnow was having issues last year too but now she is kicking butt.  Be patient.  You can do it, but it won't be easy.

2008-07-30 9:17 AM

User image

Veteran
Swimming is all technique. It's like a golf swing in that sense. If you have great technique you don't even have to be in that great of shape to swim comfortably for a long time. Since you already have a great aerobic base, you just need to "learn how to swim".

Best way: private lessons with an experienced instructor.

Can't afford/find/schedule private lessons? Go to Total Immersion (http://www.totalimmersion.net/ ) they have books, dvd's, etc... fantastic.

FYI, I'm about as skinny as they come and I'm a long time swimmer who does just fine in the water. (i.e. I love to swim!!!!)

DO NOT continue to swim laps just to swim laps. You don't want to develope bad habbits and then have to re-learn the correct techniques. Learn correctly the first time and save time, money, sweat and aggravation.

My $.02
2008-07-30 10:14 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado Springs, CO

+1 on the coach.  find someone you are comfortable with as it will take a number of lessons to get the basics down.  It will no doubt be an investment on your part, but it sounds like Triathlon would be a good sport for you that you would really enjoy and succeed at.  My sister hired a coach who was a competative high school swimmer.  Great swimmer:  terrible coach.  So just know that not all good swimmers make good coaches, so don't be afraid to change up instructors if need be.  (ie:  don't worry about hurt feelings)

good luck

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do not know where to start with the swim portion Rss Feed