General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Please Read! Especially Austin Tx folk Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-07-31 2:46 PM

Austin, Tx
Subject: Please Read! Especially Austin Tx folk
In short the Austin city council wants to do away with/ limit races in the downtown/urban areas that will effect Austin traffic. Not good. Please clink on the link below and let the city council know this is not a good idea.

Link to email the city council:
http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/council/groupemail.htm

Apologies
for this very long note. This is the best summary I can come up with.

As some of you may know, I am on a City Council Task Force that has been charged with
finding some remedies to the disruption to downtown traffic caused by special
events. The Task Force consists of 16 citizens who represent various
stakeholders in the issue.

So here's the situation:

· Two-thirds of the task force represent ¡aggrieved parties¢ who seek to limit and control
running events and triathlons.
· Iam the only race director on the task force. Paul Carrozza is a co-chair and he
is obviously on the side of event promotion.
· Even though over 60% of the special events in the downtown central business district
are street festivals or parades, not a single street festival or parade
organizer is on the task force.
· It is no longer possible to add new members to the task force.
· The task force will likely take a hard stance on downtown running events but any
recommendations adopted by the city council may also be applied city-wide.
· The rich and varied running events that have defined Austin as a ¡fit-city¢, generated
millions, upon millions of dollars for the local economy and the local
non-profit community are at high risk of being over-regulated and in some cases
priced out of existence in the next six to twelve months.
· A part of the cultural fabric of our city is in jeopardy.

Here¢' the challenge

· If we don¢t advocate for our running events, then nobody else will.
· A city council member once remarked to me, that after a race, she only hears from
people who are angry and inconvenienced. She never hears from people
thanking the city or complimenting a race or the charity that benefitted from
the race.
· If this task force rolls with the two-third majority bias, running events in
Austin will be regulated out of existence in some cases and will be priced out
of existence in other cases.
· If we can get 18,000 people out to run the Cap 10K or 22,000 people out to run the
Komen Race for the Cure, then can we get 100 people to email City Council
Members this week, to tell them that running events are important to this community
and our non-profits? Can we get 100 people to come to the next Task Force
Meeting and the one after that and the one after that one until we make our
point that runners are not anonymous or invisible people. Can we get 10
people at each meeting to get on the citizens communication part of the agenda
to tell the task force of how important running events are to them personally?

If we can make our voices heard, then perhaps we can re-establish the balance that is
missing in the composition of the task force.

I think the task force is composed of some of the city¢s best and brightest and every one
of the aggrieved has a legitimate complaint and a solution needs to be
generated that reflects a true compromise. We will get there, but so far,
the only public energy that has been mustered is from the side that would like
to see Austin running events go away.

The silence of the runners is deafening.

In the last three meetings, the only people speaking during the citizens communication part
of the agenda are angry, aggrieved people.

No runners or race organizers have spoken. [However, Jann Girard from the Cap 10K
and Brad Davidson from the Cap Tex Tri spoke eloquently as invited guests last
night, but nobody from the gallery represented a race or a runner during the
citizens communication].

I would like to ask you to contact 5 of your running buddies and ask them to attend one or
more of our task force meetings. I would ask that they let the chairman
know that they would like to address the task force for 3 minutes during the
citizens communication period. 10 people are allowed to speak at this
time. They can say anything they want and the task force will
listen. They might want to give the task force three simple messages:

1. Running events benefit the city
economy and its non-profits.
2. Running events help define Austin as
a fit and desirable city
3. Running events contribute to the
health and wellness of the entire community.

If they don¢t wish to speak, their presence will still be noted by the task force.

The task force¢s work will take months and won¢t likely end this year. However, we
need runners to take an interest in this process and make their voices heard.

We will also
mount a similar strategy to address the City Council directly once the task
force has finished its work.

The next Street Event Closure task Force Meeting is scheduled for Monday, August 11 at 5:00 p.m. in room 1029 at City Hall. Parking is validated.

The task force will meet on an every-other-Monday schedule, always at the same time. I will alert you to any changes.

Please let me know if you are willing to come and if you or others would like to be put on
the citizens communication part of the agenda. Meetings usually last 2
hours but the citizens communication period is first on the agenda and is over
in 15 to 20 minutes.

Thanks for
your time!

Best
regards,

John

John Conley
Race Director, Nike Human Race 10K- Austin
Race Director, The Austin Marathon & Half Marathon
P.O Box 684587
Austin, Texas 78768
www.conleysports.com
[email protected]

2008-07-31 4:55 PM
in reply to: #1573843

User image

Extreme Veteran
Corinth, Texas
Subject: RE: Please Read! Especially Austin Tx folk

Thank you for posting this information.  I wrote the mayors office with the link you provided and have alerted my buddies in Austin to get active and involved.  I would hate to see this hurt the local tri/running community in Austin.

2008-07-31 8:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Round Rock, Texas

I forwarded this on to many friends and family and to various training groups who will take this very seriously.  I am also going to send an email and see what other support I can do to keep Austin race friendly.  However, here is a "response" that I got from a friend of mine who is a 1 time triathlete and current business investor in downtown Austin. This is just to give everyone a taste of what we are facing.

This view NOT endorsed by this poster:

You guys don't stand a chance.  There too much money invested in the
multi-family high rise condos and apts for Downtown Austin to continue
as the primary venue for organization outdoor sporting event.
The train has left...Austin has changed.  With more attractive urban
housing, the city is setting the stage for a major wind fall.  More
industry (diverse) will come to Austin.  We need it.  We also need
commuter trains.

2008-08-01 8:39 AM

User image

Champion
Butler

This sucks for austin.  I mean seriously how many races are there a year in Austin where things shut down?  I am sure you guys have a lot but if you include 5K's/10K's what is the time people are inconvients on a Saturday morning, an hour maybe 2?  I have only been to Austin once and there were more than 1 lane so even if the event takes up 1 lane that still leaves the fat a$$ lazy people a few more lanes to drive around in.

I'm really sorry that the hippy living in his new high rise can't be inconvienced a few weekends a year for a couple hours so people can stay healthy.

Edited by kproudfoot 2008-08-01 8:39 AM
2008-08-02 8:24 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Corinth, Texas
I have received a response from 2 city council members.  One of them said they would not vote against special events and the other said there was another council member that felt the same (not the first coucil member).  I will forward the messages to anyone interested.  I know Gilberts Gazelles are already alerted and so are alot of the other local groups.  I think we stand a chance if we can motivate and inform local groups.
2008-08-02 8:47 AM
in reply to: #1574660

User image

Dallas, TX

mkmbharris - 2008-07-31 8:21 PM

You guys don't stand a chance.  There too much money invested in the
multi-family high rise condos and apts for Downtown Austin to continue
as the primary venue for organization outdoor sporting event.
The train has left...Austin has changed.  With more attractive urban
housing, the city is setting the stage for a major wind fall.  More
industry (diverse) will come to Austin.  We need it.  We also need
commuter trains.

I don't live in Austin, but this seems to be a very ignorant point of view.  NYC manages to have a ton of events, and I'm sure people complain, but they still manage it!  I don't see how running events could possibly be any worse than SXSW - talk about being inconvenienced!  I love SXSW, by the way, not bashing it at all.  :-)

2008-08-04 10:00 AM

Austin, Tx
After further inquiry, I hear the majority of the complaints are coming from the religious folk that complain streets should not be closed or hindered on Sundays during church hours
2008-08-04 2:13 PM

Religious folks should spend time exercising...having said that, I sent an email to the provided link. I'll re-post if a response is received with anything interesting.

I'm pretty sure there are multiple roadways that can get people into and out of church.
2008-08-04 3:16 PM
in reply to: #1579796

User image

Extreme Veteran
Corinth, Texas

orion - 2008-08-04 10:00 AM After further inquiry, I hear the majority of the complaints are coming from the religious folk that complain streets should not be closed or hindered on Sundays during church hours

I've heard the same thing from other people but nobody has anything to really back that up yet.

2008-08-05 9:23 PM
in reply to: #1580687

i heard back from 1 council member who said she is not in favor of reducing these events
2008-08-06 8:58 AM

User image

Pro
Austin, Tejas
WE ARENT GOING DOWN WITHOUT A FIGHT! Austin has such a fabulous reputation of being a "fit city" and I refuse to let that be changed because of traffic, condos or whatever other lame excuses people can come up with. Those folks need to get out of their car and on a bike and quit their b*tching. There are plenty of special events in Austin that might affect traffic a bit, but get over it. The amount of revenue that these events brings into our city is quite substantial. I'm feeling a bit fiesty when it comes to this topic.

I'll be at the city council meeting on August 11th in my running gear along with the rest of T3. Our presence will NOT be ignored!

2008-08-06 9:20 AM

User image

Expert
San Antonio, TX

I will send an email as well.  A couple of things to consider...

Have you gotten Jack and Adams to show up and/or Austin Tricyclist?  They have morning rides from the shop.  If you showed up in the morning with flyers with the next couple of meeting dates and the link I would think you would get some more people to show up. Unfortuanately I'm in SA.  If you can't do the flyer thing at least call or email them and ask them to announce it and put the info at the register.  Google Austin Triathlons/Races and send an email to all the RD's (Don't forget Keith w/ Longhorn- He's KEJ on BT).  Even those outside of the downtown area should have a stake in this as I'm sure fee's will go up and affect everyone.    Don't know if they would get involved but maybe USAT would be willing to do an email blast to TX members and inform them of the cause.  Also, you have a mecca of professional (celebrity) athletes that train and race in Austin (Lance, Desiree Flicker, Andrea Fisher and MANY more) .  Perhaps some of them would be willing to get involved.

I have a tri meeting tomorrow (here in SA) and will make an announcement and will email a buddy who is in another club.

I'd also talk to the hospitality industry.  Do any of the races have revenue info on what each of the races generate in the city (ie..hotels, restaurants etc..?).  The CVB might be able to help gather that information.  $$$ should talk and would get a whole other sector of businesses invested in keeping the races. I would think that the festivals bring in out of towners too but that the races bring more outside revenue since most festivals are attended by locals.  Not to mention the money that each race spends to produce these races.  ALL of your vendors should be contacted and encouraged to participate.  Maybe collectively the vendors or the ISES/NACE chapters could put together a document showing how much of their revenue per year is reaped from races.  Hopefully you can see the direction I'm going and so will the board and city council.  I hear what your saying about the flavor, heritage and traditions of Austin being at risk and agree but but the people who want to get rid of the races are being inconveinence and the squeeky wheel gets the grease till you show the money.  I could be wrong and perhaps you've already got all this information and presented it but money should talk.  They shouldn't be able to ignore the fact that races make for a healthier economy.  As in business, training and our personal lives the things we want most always require a sacrifice and unpopular decisions and incovenience at some point.  City Council needs to decide what's important for the city and not a select group of squeeky residents.

If you are successful in keeping the races but then they turn to increasing fees etc...to make it harder for races to be put on then you make it impossible for RD's to keep prices reasonable then I can't stay in Austin as long and spend more money.  It will have the same affect as banning races. 

I will say that as a athletic community we should heed this as a warning.  I have often thought of writing a letter but have yet to write one.  It would be extremely helpful if RD's when they send out the thank you email to participants that they provide a link to city hall or whomever should get a letter thanking the hosting city for allowing us to race in their city.  A link to the Editor of the newspaper so the same could be given to the citizens of the city.  I would also think that any charity in the world would be happy to send a thank you letter to the hosting city.  I don't think any of us are truly ungrateful but unless we tell someone they will never know.  A list of charities and the funds raised for each should also be presented to the council.

I know I'm preaching to the choir here but hopefully we can get the word out and make a difference. 

Austin is a great city and I enjoy getting away for races once in a while. If it wasn't for the races I wouldn't get there but maybe once a year vs. three or four.  I almost always go early or stay later so I'm there two, sometimes three nights just because I like the city.  Should Austin decide to take action against races it will truly disturb me but I will be left with taking my own personal stand and refuse to do anything in Austin because it will be obvious to me that they don't want my business.  I will also do my best to make sure others know exactly how Austin feels about them too.

Thanks for giving us a heads up.  Good Luck!!!

K

2008-08-06 9:37 AM

Master
Montgomery, Tx
Send a message to the ROT rally board.  I would venture to guess they bring in enough money to the city where there voice will be heard.  
2008-08-08 5:52 AM

User image

Expert
responded and fowarded email out. this is really stupid
2008-08-11 1:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin TX
There was some discussion with John Conley on 107.1 KGSR this morning about the task force. They're having a meeting tonight. John said it's too early for citizens to start emailing city council members, but they would like support for the task force. Apparently the task force meets every other Monday at 5pm. At least discussion on the radio will make more people aware of the situation and hopefully gain more supporters from the running community.
2008-08-11 9:18 PM
in reply to: #1594812

User image

Extreme Veteran
Corinth, Texas

mom23 - 2008-08-11 1:42 PM There was some discussion with John Conley on 107.1 KGSR this morning about the task force. They're having a meeting tonight. John said it's too early for citizens to start emailing city council members, but they would like support for the task force. Apparently the task force meets every other Monday at 5pm. At least discussion on the radio will make more people aware of the situation and hopefully gain more supporters from the running community.

I don't  agree with not e-mailing the council.  The more we get the message out there the better.  There was a meeting tonight and there was a good turnout of supporters.  I think the message was clear.  As long as we keep pressure on the council and this task force the less likely they are to move against the running/tri community.  Look at it like this, this is election year and the council is comprised of elected officials.  When it comes time to make a decision do you p!$$ off the few or the many?  If we present ourselves as the "many" then we stand a good chance of winning.  So I would encourage everyone to do what they can and tell everyone they know who will support the cause.

Edited by draykus 2008-08-11 9:20 PM

2008-08-12 9:28 AM
in reply to: #1596033

User image

Regular
Austin, Texas
Update from the meeting last night:

Dear friends:

Yesterday afternoon Vicky and I attended the meeting of the task force that's been formed to address the problems associated with the many street closures associated with special events (including races) in Austin. The task force, consisting of ten people, was chaired by Paul Carozza and included Austin Marathon director, John Conley.

The meeting was well attended by runners. I would say there were over one hundred of us in the meeting room - it was pretty full, and they had to bring in extra chairs. The meeting began with the task force members introducing themselves and saying a few words to reassure those of us in attendance that none of them were down on running or in favor of completely eliminating the races.

Then ten members of the audience who had previously signed up to speak were given three minutes to say a few words. Without exception, every speaker was polite and well spoken, and most of them stated a willingness to compromise in order to meet the needs of the greater community. But it was very clear that they were quite passionate about running and its importance to the Austin lifestyle.

The runners made some really good points, including the fact that while the larger running events (e.g., the Cap10K and the Austin Marathon) are secure, some of the smaller events might be threatened by exorbitant event fees. And it is precisely these smaller 5K/10K events that typically draw people into running in the first place. Few people go directly from the couch to their first marathon. These little races also account for a huge proportion of the money raised for charities by running events. It was also suggested that race organizers could do a better job of enlisting the cooperation of local churches and businesses in planning races. That way church-goers and customers would be better able to anticipate the street closures and therefore be less inconvenienced by them.

The task force will meet again in exactly two weeks. The next meeting is designated a "public communication" meeting, where there will be more opportunity for people to express their support for or oppostion to the proposed regulations relating to running events. I would encourage everyone in our program to make an effort to attend these task force meetings. If we don't speak up, the task force will be much more likely to enact regulations that are unfavorable to runners.

John Conley has a blog on his website www.conleysports.com that will be continually updated with information on the next meeting.

- Tom and Vicky Springer

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Please Read! Especially Austin Tx folk Rss Feed