General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Dumb Q re new shoes.... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-08-03 6:57 AM

Subject: Dumb Q re new shoes....
Delurking here to ask a question about my new, fitted running shoes. Picked them up yesterday after fitting at reputable local running shop (they felt GREAT) and went to try to do my first "long walk" this morning (trying to train - starting from the couch 9 wks ago - for super sprint tri and to walk half marathon in the fall). I had set up to do 2 loops, 3.6 mi and 2.4 mi to get to my 6 mi goal. Feet in a lot of pain after 3.6 mi so I used my discretion and quit at that point. I have been doing 2.2-3.2 mi run/walk 3 days a week so I thought that 6 mi would be tough but feasible, and hadn't had this kind of pain with my old shoes. Is foot pain normal with new shoes (and maybe I'm a dummy for going long with them the first time?)? Thanks.

Separately, I have to tell you, "beginner triathlete" seems rather poorly named to this rank neophyte. Is there a forum on the site for REAL beginners? :-)

Thanks again, Lisa

2008-08-03 10:44 AM
in reply to: #1578493

User image

Expert
Alexandria, NH
Subject: RE: Dumb Q re new shoes....

Hi Lisa,

Every forum here other than Cup of Joe is really for beginners.  There is no question too small or that hasn't likely been asked.  If you have questions someone here has answers.  

Should your running shoes hurt?  I'd say no.  I run very little since I have knee problems and I bought a new pair of running shoes on Thursday night walked around my office in them on Friday and ran 6.2mi in them on Saturday with no issues.  The basic rule for products is if they hurt they are wrong.  (some things require breakins but not many).  If you said I got a blister I'd say give it a shot but for the shoes to hurt enough to make you completely quit I'd try to take them back.  You state you "hadn't had this pain with your old shoes and that's what I'd tell the store".   

Good luck and welcome to the community,

Chris

2008-08-04 3:24 AM

User image

Expert
White House, TN

What kind of pain are we talking about?  Is it a rubbing, blister-making kind of pain?  If so, that should be expected when breaking in some new shoes.  Or is it more of a pain from contact with the ground?  If so, that's something else entirely.

Also, take into account that you had gone about 10% farther than your usual distance, which will take some time for your body to adapt.  Jumping from "2.2/3.2 mi" to 6 is a huge jump if you don't have a lot of base built up.

I would say give it some more time and see what happens.

2008-08-04 12:20 PM

User image

Expert
Virginia

Over the summer I've been gradually increasing my distance from 3mi to 5mi (where I'm at now).  It's been about 6 weeks.  Between weight and knee problems from before (sprained last winter), I am very slow with increasing my distance b/c I don't want to hurt anything again.  If I were you, I'd definitely look at one of the beginner programs on here or look at jeff galloway's website (he does all run/walk programs) so you slowly increase at a rate that will be productive not prohibitive.  Going from 3 to 6 miles is a huge jump, especially with only a 9 week base.  Okay, the second thing, the pain.  The bottom of my feet hurt a lot after my first 5 miler on Friday.  I also get blisters on my arches a LOT.  If it's blisters, check out some body glide, that stuff helps.   Also if it's a reputable running store, you shoudl be able to take them back.  Talk to them.  Shoes that feel great for 10 minutes at the store sometimes don't work.  It's about when you fit them (first thing in the AM or after a day of work w/ swollen feet) and for each person's foot there are usually a few options.  See if you can try a different one.

And trust there are real beginners here!  When I joined the site I didn't even know how to SWIM, LOL.   

2008-08-05 8:15 AM
in reply to: #1580208

User image

Veteran
Elizabethtown, KY

Kimmi makes great points - running shoe shouldn't hurt (at least mine never have), but a significant increase in mileage could have caused the problems.  Great thing you got fitted for the shoes, because most local running stores are very reputable when it comes to customer service.

And I've been a member of this site since 2004, and I'm very much still a beginner.  There are very good reasons why this site doesn't have a "for real beginners" forum, primarily because a true benefit of the site is the advice of more seasoned peers (and because we don't want class segregation to creep in), and I've never seen anyone blasted for what they may have thought was a dumb, or simple question.

2008-08-05 8:34 PM

Thanks for all of your replies! This week I went back to my regular shoes. I am starting with a new personal trainer on Friday and will see what he suggests. I didn't go THAT much farther in the shoes (3.6 mi vs 3.1) but I guess that's almost 20%, so it could be a factor.

Guess I was pushing a bit hard. Kinda frustrating - I just want to be ready to do a super sprint at the end of the month.

Thanks again!

2008-08-12 3:29 PM

User image

Master
I didn't like when my shoe switched around some stuff for the next model. I'm doing OK with it now, though, but in the beginning they felt stiff and uncomfortable.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Dumb Q re new shoes.... Rss Feed