Other Resources My Cup of Joe » triathlete moms & dads - your L&D experiences Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
triathlete moms & dads - your L&D experiences
OptionResults
no drugs
no medical intervention
helped along by pitocin, etc.
epidural
scheduled induction
emergency c-section
elective c-section
positive experience
OK experience
unsatisfying experience
used Lamaze techniques
used the Bradley method
C-Section due to breech presentation
c-section due to placenta previa
no story, but i want to see the results of the poll
doula
spinal
The first was a home birth.
You will find plenty of horror stories.. Turn on your blinders..
epidural, even though it wore off on one side...and that one side was PAIN!
I'm the dad - I watched and said "yes dear" when she tore into me like a DI
This is a multiple choice poll.

2008-08-03 7:06 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny
Subject: triathlete moms & dads - your L&D experiences
I expect that triathletes have the mental toughness for a long, physically demanding event. How was your birthing experience(s)? Did you try for a natural birth? Or did you go for the epidural? Feel free to add more options and share your story! I'd love to hear dad's stories too.

My big event is coming up in February!

-Rebecca

2008-08-03 11:19 AM
in reply to: #1578498

Subject: RE: triathlete moms & dads - your L&D experiences

I've had 4 kids and different labor experiences with each one. My first was an induction with epidural. The induction was very hard and painful, plus I was stuck in bed so I couldn't do anything to help with the pain besides get an epidural. With my second  and third I did it all natural, was able to walk around, lay in the birthing tub and had a great experience. The only medical intervention I had was a saline lock, which was never hooked up to an IV because I was able to drink fluids during labor (if you go this route drink apple juice, it comes up much easier if you throw up during transition). My 4th ended up a high risk pregnance due to our van being hit by a drunk driver and my water breaking at 32 weeks. I was in the hospital on bed rest for 4 weeks because they were able to control my labor and constantly monitor me to make sure baby was doing fine.  When I went into labor, again, at 36 weeks they didn't stop it and augmented it with pitocin to "get it over with". I had an epidural, at that point they wouldn't let me out of bed anyway and slept for 95% of the entire labor.

Personally, while painful I much prefered the natural labor. I hated feeling like I was out of control and I hated being stuck in bed while the epidural wore off. If you do decide to go the natural route make sure to have good support people, my dh was awesome at helping me breath and going through transition.

2008-08-03 11:22 AM

User image

Arch-Bishop of BT
Pittsburgh

so my wife and I used the Bradley method for our two... we had an excellent instructor who helped us put together a great birth plan AND helped us begin to ask the questions that we were concerned about... I totally recommend the Bradley method.  It's all about getting the mom to relax, so it involves lots of massage.  

I needed no drugs although I spent several hours driving my knuckles into my wife's back for her back labor....

She used no drugs for either kid and our first was 10  lbs 3 oz... the second was 7 lbs 13 oz but was a month early.  

-Brian

2008-08-03 12:10 PM

Extreme Veteran
Northbridge, Massachusetts

I had a c-section due to my 10 lb baby being breech. 

I thought I was pretty tough due to having completed 9 marathons pre-birth but the c-section knocked it out of me.  If we had been able to conceive another one I would have tried for a natural birth to minimize the recovery.

2008-08-03 1:25 PM

User image

Master
Finally north of the Mason-Dixon Line

1st child was scheduled c-section due to medical reasons - placenta privia.  The second child was only 13 months after 1st and I didn't want to risk a emergency c-section so I opted for c-s.  The third well, after 2 uterine incisions the doctor didn't want an emergency c-s or other risks so i didn't have a choice but it was fine with me.   Myu first 2 c-s recovery was easy - I took all meds given!  the third was harder but I think because she was a third... I think I had some nerve damage done in groin on right side because I would get these searing pains knocking em off my butt despite percocert being taken faithfully! 

to be honest - the thought of pushing a 8lb ball out of my yoohoo doesn't appeal to me and if I had to do it with my eldest I firmly believe she would have been an only child.  So I have faith that God knew this and presented me with a medical condition as a way to go forth and multiple (LOL).

cathleen

Edited by houston-tri-mama 2008-08-03 1:28 PM
2008-08-03 2:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Vancouver BC

my first: was a planned c-s due to footling breach....he ended up being born with a congenital heart defect that required open-heart surgery so I am glad he didn't go through the trauma of a vaginal delivery. (had spinal)

second: 3.5 weeks early.  Gestational diabetes on insulin.  31hours labour including 5.5 hours of pushing which didn't get far so had a mid-forceps delivery (ouch!).  He was 8.1oz nearly a month early. (had epidural)

third:  induced 3 weeks early due to a suspected partial placenta abruptia.  14hours labour and 20 mins pushing....went pretty fast (and intensely) once they broke my water after the oxytocin.  (had epidural).  She was 7.7oz 3 weeks early.

fourth: 1 week early. after much mocking from the staff for this being my fourth and me wanting an epidural....they inserted the epidural when I was 4 cm.....and her head was out before they finished taping it to my back! (I can laugh about it now!).  She came out with her arm above her head and tore me up pretty well....so required a good deal of 'repair work' - so it was good that they had already inserted the epidural so they could freeze me for that....

I have a pretty low pain tolerance!  And I am glad I decided to not have a fifth because I am terrified how fast it would be!

Edited by couch potato no more 2008-08-03 2:48 PM

2008-08-03 3:14 PM

User image

Sneaky Slow
Herndon, VA,

My wife wanted a natural (read: no epidural) childbirth.  Our first child, we went to all the classes, practiced breathing, but when the blessed event came, all the breathing patterns and techniques went out the window.  Afterwards, I was told that I wasn't strong enough with her.

Um, hello?  My wife was in labor, and pain, what was I supposed to do?  Tell her to HTFU and breathe with me?  She did make it to 8 cm, I think without it, but she did have the epidural that time.  Anyway... 

it didn't happen.  For the second, she got a doula who was able to help her with massage, comfort, that sort of thing, and she didn't have an epidural.  I wasn't involved all that much as I was the first time, but she had the natural childbirth.

2008-08-03 5:33 PM

User image

New user

As an OBGYN resident who has attended hundreds of births I'll give you 2 pieces of advice:

#1.  Whatever your idea of the "perferct birth" find a provider who shares your philosophy.  This may be an induction of labor at 39 weeks with an epidural before you feel ANY pain or an involved birthing plan with a doula.  If your doctor's practice style is very different from your expectations of what birth should be, you will be less than satsified.

#2.  Let go of your idea of the "perfect birth"!  The perfect birth is a healthy baby and a healthy woman at the end of the day.  The experience of labor and delivery is different for every person (and every pregnancy!)  Listen to your body and go with the flow.

Whether you deliver vaginally or have a c-section being in good shape prior to delivery will help make your recovery that much easier.

Good luck!

2008-08-03 5:41 PM

User image

Elite
Connecticut

My first was natural.  I didn't plan it that way, I wanted all the drugs available.  But, I wasn't admitted into the hospital until I was 8 cm dialated.  We joke and our daughter was just going to fall out w/o me ever going into labor.  The midwife broke my water and just about 2 seconds later, she was born.  Easy.

Second, not so much.  We had a scheduled induction (hubby had to go back out to sea the next day).  Had a spinal but the dumb chick didn't know what she was doing and ended up poking me in about four different spots trying to get it in my back.  Sooo, I ended up with a spinal headache.  Not fun.  Worse pain ever.  Much worse than natural childbirth (and the headache last longer)!!  Healthy baby boy was the end result so all is well.

Third, another scheduled induction but this time hubby wasn't there.  Stupid Navy.  The doc had one shot to get the spinal in before I said go fly a kite.  I was not having that headache again!  He did and yet another healthy baby boy.   

My labor for all three kids was super fast, even the induced kids.  We are talking a total of two hours max.  If I had to do it over again, I'd opt for no meds at all.  It is not worth the chance of the side effects.  Good luck in whatever you choose!   

2008-08-04 7:15 AM

User image

Veteran
Elizabethtown, KY

I have to continually remind myself how much I owe my wife for what she had to go through to deliver our two boys.

She is a rather petite woman and both times it felt as though our boys didn't want to leave the comfort of the womb.  After being induced past 40 weeks for the first one, she suffered through more than 30 hours of hard labor, 2 failed epidurals, and 2 hours of hard pushing.

I was exhuasted

For the second, knowing how the first had proceeded, our wonderful OB decided halfway through the labor that it was going to be at least as difficult as the first, and opted for an emergency c-section. 

She much preferred the c-section to the "normal" delivery.  All I know is that for a true HTFU reference, I just need to think back to those two events.

Thankfully, now nearly 8 and 6 years later, everyone is happy and healthy.

2008-08-04 9:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I didn't start doing tris until after my son was born, so I didn't bring my HTFU with me to labor, I brought my HTFU from being a mom to triathlon!

I got exactly the opposite birthing experience that I had wanted.  Wanted natural, got emergency c-section (frank breech, no amniotic fluid left at 39 wks).  Wanted midwives, labor in the jacuzzi tub, at Somerset hospital - got Nurse Wratchett and a cold steel table at St. Petes.  Wanted to bond/breastfeed immediately - got a kid in the NICU for 6 hours while my epidural gave me the WORST case of the shakes ever (typcial reaction for me, happened when I had back surgery too).  Wanted to wear shoes home, had to settle for socks - I was too swollen from the meds and high BP!  Wanted to BF, kid had other ideas (to be fair, he had a bad case of reflux) and we ended up doing formula.  Wanted to stay home, went back to work at 11 weeks.  Wanted a healthy infancy, got hip dysplasia (totally easy to fix, I'm just adding it to the list) recurrent bronchiolitis with steroids, albuterol, pediatric pulmonologist, possible asthma dx, and the reflux until 18 months.

We're totally fine, happy, and healthy now - but I'm SO not having any more   (really, I would, but time, money, space, work, no family to help, etc.)

2008-08-04 9:46 AM

User image

Expert
Littleton, CO

I started doing tri's AFTER my 2nd daughter was born. I was able to have her completely natural, with no pain medicines, and the help of a doula. I have to say, having done childbirth naturally, it has given me the mental fortitude to do ANYTHING. I always say, "if I can survive natural childbirth, I can do ANYTHING for x-number of hours." It has truly gotten me through many an event or painful workout. It is such an empowering experience.

I recommend using a doula, as it helped immensely, for both me and my husband. I tried my first birth naturally too, but after 17 hours of labor with pitocin, I gave in. It turned out to be a 32 hour labor. The second time was 26 hours, but only 6.5 hours of hard labor.  I think, with the proper tools, a woman's body can do anything her mind believes she can. That said, no woman should ever feel as if she's failed if she ends up needing help.

Here's the complete birth story if you care to read it. WARNING, it spares no details:

<style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";}

CLAIRE’S BIRTH STORY

October 26, 2004

7 lbs, 12 oz, 20”, 13.5” head

As you all know, my water broke at 1am on Sunday night. I did not want to be induced, so I decided to wait at home for as long as possible to wait for labor to start. I went to the chiropractor, acupuncturist, walked, and nothing. The doctor called and asked me to come into the hospital several times.  I refused, much to his chagrin and worry. I had done my research and felt very confident that baby was not at a risk for infection yet. I had set my deadline as 18 hours ruptured, before I would go in for antibiotics. Since baby had turned posterior, I never started labor on my own.

We headed to the hospital at
6pm and the doctor wanted to induce me right away. I refused, asked for the antibiotics and asked to walk for 2 hours, saying I would make a decision at 9pm.

At
9pm, I refused Pitocin, but agreed to a dose of Prostin gel being placed on my cervix. When they checked me and placed the Prostin, I was 4-5cm dilated. The nurse also gave me a sleeping pill, Ambien, thinking I could doze until the contractions started. Well, they started about 30 minutes later and I felt so drunk and out of it from the pill. It actually served to relax me and get things going. That wore off about 2 hours later.

My doula came at
Midnight and things really started moving. It was so amazing. I felt so primal, intense, powerful, amazing, but at the same time, I was going "What the H*LL was I thinking...this is adding nothing to this experience." Oddly, it never occured to me to ask for an epidural. I did, however, ask for Jesus to deliver me, Satan to exit my body, to go home, and for them to just get the baby out. I labored in every position known to woman. If I could have hung from the ceiling, I would have. I labored on the ball, on my hands and knees, climbing up the head of the bed with my butt hanging out, in the shower, leaning over the bed. It was so intense. I begged for God to help me, I cried, I asked to go home, I grunted, and I screamed a few times.

The worst came when I got to 10cm dilated, but had a small rim of very hard scar tissue that was preventing me from pushing. They were afraid I would tear my cervix. I had to labor and refrain from pushing for over an hour. It was so incredibly painful. I kept almost falling asleep between contractions, but then they would swallow my body, especially my back and pelvis, and I'd about lose control. I even told the nurse that "I wasn't planning on having any more kids, I don't need my cervix, let’s just tear it."

My doula was AMAZING! She showed up with her bag of tricks, and never stopped working. Every time I thought I couldn't make it anymore, she'd come up with another plan or another idea. She provided the mechanical coping tools, such as counter pressure to my hips and pelvis, while dh was able to provide the emotional support. DH was also incredible. Having our doula there enabled him to be there for me emotionally 100%. He was my heart, my soul, and my emotional rock through the entire thing. Joanne, the doula, was my physical support. I would highly recommend a good doula if trying for a natural birth.

The hospital staff was amazing. I was able to pick my nurse, a friend of mine for 6 years, and who was also my nurse when I delivered Julia. She was great, the doctor was great, it was an awesome experience. They gave us so much freedom to do what we needed to do to get it done naturally.

Finally, I was able to allow the doctor to push the rim out of the way, during one push. We waited for the next contraction, and I pushed one VERY long push. The doctor said that I rotated Claire 180 degrees, from posterior to anterior and then pushed her out with that single push. I pushed for a total of 4 minutes after only 6.5 hours of labor.

2008-08-04 11:07 AM

User image

i had hoped to labor naturally and wanted to think that if i could endure the pain of endurance athletics i was well prepared for labor. it turned out, though, that i was monitored closely over the last several weeks of pregnancy due to low amniotic fluid and at 39.5 weeks i was admitted to labor and delivery to begin cervidil to ripen my cervix in preparation for induction. about 4 hours into it they couldn't find the baby's heartbeat for 5 minutes then it was really low for a bit so in addition to the fetal monitors i ended up with blood pressure monitoring and oxygen and many panicked nurses. my dr. showed up about an hour after this whole event and broke my waters and said she wouldn't let me take the oxygen off. at this point i began doubting i would make it without the epidural. i felt strapped to the bed. the contractions weren't unbearable but i had no real way to move and deal with them. i couldn't walk or use a birthing ball or shower or anything. i still had it in my head that i absolutely wouldn't use an epidural until i was at least 4 cm. dilated (not sure why. the dr. became concerned about administering pitocin due to baby's antics with the heartbeat earlier and wanted to continue to see what i did on my own. in the meantime they prepared to infuse amniotic fluid and started an iv so two more contraptions for me to be hooked up to and the contractions are getting stronger. apparently i did ask for the epidural, although i don't recall it, i only remember saying i was starting to think about it and the anesthesiologist was there, right on time too, since i had begun puking just before he came in. the epidural helped me relax and i progressed from 3cm to complete in less than 2 hours. initially the dr. said they were going to wait until the baby crowned before i pushed because exams were causing a dip in heart rate and she was concerned that pushing would stress him, but the urge hit and she told me to go ahead and try. i pushed for twelve minutes (so hard i popped the hospital bracelets off my arms and caused tearing) and out my baby came! not the way i planned but perfectly happy with the outcome!
2008-08-04 11:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Podunk County, MN

miche033 - 2008-08-03 7:06 AM I expect that triathletes have the mental toughness for a long, physically demanding event. How was your birthing experience(s)? Did you try for a natural birth? Or did you go for the epidural? Feel free to add more options and share your story! I'd love to hear dad's stories too. My big event is coming up in February! -Rebecca

I've had 3 kids, and always hoped for intervention free births.  My first 2 were hospital births with limited intervention (membrane rupture only), and for our last, based on the climate in local hospitals which was somewhat unfriendly toward non-intervention births (as well as my own labors, which seem to slow significantly once we hit the hospital), we had a home water birth.  It was one of the most amazing experiences of my life, and I highly recommend it for women who are open to the idea.

Also, my littlest (the water birth) loves to tell people she was born at home in a pool!  And I do wonder if it's part of why she's such a natural swimmer...

Edited by kanders 2008-08-04 11:41 AM
2008-08-04 2:04 PM
in reply to: #1578947

User image

Master
State of Confusion
artsonggirl - 2008-08-03 5:33 PM

As an OBGYN resident who has attended hundreds of births I'll give you 2 pieces of advice:

#2.  Let go of your idea of the "perfect birth"!  The perfect birth is a healthy baby and a healthy woman at the end of the day.  The experience of labor and delivery is different for every person (and every pregnancy!)  Listen to your body and go with the flow.

Whether you deliver vaginally or have a c-section being in good shape prior to delivery will help make your recovery that much easier.

Good luck!

Good advice. My sister-in-law wanted her "perfect" birth experience and planned an at-home water birth. She ended up inthe hospital having a c-section and was majorly depressed for month s because of it...despite having a healthy baby.

For me, I'm a go with the flow kind of gal. Baby #1 I was terrified and had an epidural as soon as I could. Baby #2 was a piece of cake and I almost didn't make it to the hospital. She was 6 hours of easy labor and 10 minutes of pushing. If I had a baby #3 (not going to happen) I would have it at home. Both labor and delivery experiences were awesome, and my favorite part of being pregnant.

2008-08-04 2:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver, CO
Epidural...both times! With my first I pushed for 8 hours...so glad I had that epidural. With my second I pushed for 8 minutes...maybe I could have gotten away with not having an epidural..but it was so nice not to have to focus on the pain and just focus on the experience of giving birth. Plus, what's nice about an epidural is you can ask the dr. to only administer the least amount they can so that you can actually feel the contractions and know when to push without the pain.

2008-08-04 4:20 PM

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest

I also didn't start triathlons until after my kids were here...however...

First birth:  38 hour labor...had pitocin after about 30+ hours to move it along....then a couple hrs later had an epidural.  (Personally I would never recommend pitocin unless absolutely necessary, it  made the labor so much worse).  Finally pushed for 1 hour and had a healthy baby boy.  Bad news is that with an epidural, I was unable to feel how hard I was pushing against some sort of foot board/pedal thing and totally destroyed all the nerves in my knees and ankles since I had such strong legs.   It took about a year before I could kneel down without searing pain and I still can't wear flip flops due to the pain in my toes.  Luckily PT helped with some of the pain over time.

Second birth:  Was sort of bullied into an epidural even though I was managing the pain on my own just fine.  I let it wear off before transition and then it only took one contraction and two pushes to get my baby out!  If I were having more children, I'd skip the epidural, but do highly recommend the two push method.    The hospital where I delivered this baby joked that a natural birth was one where the mom didn't have on makeup.  And they were serious.  (I also put on my makeup!!)

2008-08-04 9:34 PM

User image

Master
PA

Easy.  Ok, not easy.  But manageable.  If you do tris, you've learned to manage pain.  If you want to go drug free, you totally can.  But plan in every way that you're going for it.  If you don't want your husband to let you quit, tell him that.  Puts the men in a hard spot though, to know what you really want in the end, but yet don't want in the moment.  It's tough to stay the course when you know you have an easy out.  I say all this sounding like I went drug free, when i didn't.  And I regret it.  

I was fully intending on an epidural, and in the midst of it, realized I didn't need it.  Wanted it, yes, but didn't *need* it.  Then nausea set in.  The one thing I don't do, the one thing I HATE is, puking.  I absolutely think it's the most horrible thing.  So things took a new spin, managing pain and trying not to puke, no go.  And the on the verge of puking feeling creates instant tears.  There's a visual for you.  Pain, almost puking and now uncontrollable tears about how I didn't want to puke.

So, I had intrathecal fentanyl.  A one time injection in your back of meds that wear off in about 90 minutes.  So, you don't want it until the very end.  Worked like a champ.  Didn't feel a thing.  Literally nothing.  And I had no problems with that.

Next time, which hopefully there will be, I will go no drugs.  1.  b/c I know I can do it, 2.  i don't want the added risks, however minimal they are.

Go for what you want.  You've got it in you if you want to go drug free.

2008-08-04 9:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Oak Cliff, Texas
After a couple of shots of good Irish whiskey, I didn't feel a thing!
The wife had an epidural and all was well....
Z
2008-08-04 9:49 PM

User image

Master
Reston, VA
Gold member
I love drugs, enough said! Epidural was one of the best things that ever happened to me.
2008-08-05 12:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny
Thanks for all the stories! Very interesting!

2008-08-05 1:59 PM

User image

Master
Dothan, Al
My wife is an E/R nurse. When she went into labor she "put off"the epidural. Said she wanted to wait a little longer. Well while we were waiting, they paged out a "Trauma Alert" in the  E/R. This means they expecting a bad trauma patient, and part of the team that goes to the E/R is the anesthetist, who is not in surgery. I looked at my wife and said, " I guess you know that the person who is supposed to start your epi, is now in the E/R with the Trauma alert. " I then told her, :" If I was you, I would page the nurse and tell her you are ready for for your epidural. That way you will be first on the list when he gets done in the E/R." She agreed. Luckily there was not much to the trauma alert, and the doc was back up there pretty quick.
2008-08-05 3:12 PM

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin
My wife had all three of our kids with an epidural.  She was still able to feel everything but not with all the excess pain.  She also only had to push for and hour, 45 min, then 15 min to get them all out.  She was also going through medical school and residency while she had our three in a span of 3.5 years.  An amazing woman.
2008-08-05 3:21 PM

User image

Expert
I'm the dad....I forgot to add "helped by pitocin' to the checklist. Must add though that when they did start pushing the pitocin, my wife grew a forked tail and spoke in some satanic voice. That stuff was horrific....and my wife thought so too

Overall, 3 births (4 kids...obviously twins).....and all very good experience. It helps when my wife is a NICU nurse and deals with high risk deliveries daily. She knew what to look for and helped keep me informed....

Good luck and congrats!!!
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » triathlete moms & dads - your L&D experiences Rss Feed