General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Exercises that prevent injury Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-08-03 8:43 AM

User image

Veteran
Traverse City, MI
Subject: Exercises that prevent injury
I suppose one could say almost any sort of resistance training is beneficial for injury prevention, however lately, the day after swim training session, my left should has been a little tender. When the waves get choppy, my form suffers as well as my muscles the next day. Other than practicing perfect form, does anyone have any unique lifts, stretches, routines that they do for the swimming aspect of your training? I've just incorporated "Dump-outs" and "the Arnold Press" to my lifts, but neet more diversification. Thanks. 

2008-08-06 10:43 AM
in reply to: #1578546

User image

Expert
Encinitas
Subject: RE: Exercises that prevent injury
I want to answer this one but I know so little about swimming I'm pretty hesitant, seeing as no one else has thrown anything else out there I will go ahead and give it a shot though. Generally speaking if I want my shoulders to get stronger the lifts I would do are press, ring dips, pull-ups, and deadlifts. I would also be careful of overworking your shoulders though, if you get pain swimming in choppy water I would definitely be careful going out there already sore from a previous days shoulder workout. I would venture to guess most injuries with swimming are more from form issues though. Again, swimming is my weak spot that I know the least about though so you can take this with a grain of salt. Anyone else out there have any suggestions?
2008-08-06 11:04 AM
in reply to: #1578546

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey
Subject: RE: Exercises that prevent injury

I went through physical therapy about a year ago for rotator cuff irritation due to arthritis in my shoulder (long before I ever decided to train for a triathlon).  Once I started training about 6 months after PT,  I  make sure I continued (and still do almost 2 years later now) to do the exercises I had to do in physical therapy. I also have to make sure that I stretch really well after I warm up (100yd or so).  Here is a link to the usa swimming that shows many of the exercises I still do.  Thanks to the exercises and stretching, I have not had any shoulder pain at all. 

http://www.usaswimming.org/USASWeb/ViewMiscArticle.aspx?TabId=445&Alias=Rainbow&Lang=en&mid=702&ItemID=700

There is also an article here on BT  http://www.usaswimming.org/USASWeb/ViewMiscArticle.aspx?TabId=445&Alias=Rainbow&Lang=en&mid=702&ItemID=700 about preventing swimmer's shoulder that I read and includes many of the exercises I had already been doing.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Exercises that prevent injury Rss Feed