General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sinus Problems After a Swim Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-08-05 11:01 AM

NorCal
Subject: Sinus Problems After a Swim
I was wondering if anyone has experienced sinus issues after swimming? For the past three weeks, whenever I swim I spend the following two to three days with a runny nose, sneezing, fatigue and minor ear discomfort. Aside from popping pills or not getting in the pool (not an option) I am not sure how to resolve this annoyance.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Laura

2008-08-05 5:24 PM
in reply to: #1582480

User image

Master
Kauai, Hawaii
Subject: RE: Sinus Problems After a Swim

The same happens to me; I take the 24 hour claritin on the day that I swim and maybe the next, nasonex nose spray prior to swimming, showering BEFORE and after makes a difference since what usually causes the allergy is the byproduct of what chlorine breaks down off your skin.  My symptoms were getting so bad that I developed a wheeze and was taking puffs off an inhaler, but now that I have been in the pool more consistent the reaction has lessened.

So try showering before and see what happens if you don't want to take the medication.

2008-08-05 5:26 PM

User image

Master
Kauai, Hawaii
Just looked at your logs and was wondering did you get the same reaction in open water? I don't that is why I know it is the chlorine reaction.
2008-08-06 10:24 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frederick, Maryland
Mine happens more in the pool with chlorine than open water but still, "stuff" gets in your sinuses that may not agree with you. Seems to happen after I "dry out" after the swim. Sneeze like crazy or get really congested. I usually take the generic loratadine antihistamine (which is found in non drousy claritin), some pseudoephed to help with congestion, and maybe some ibuprofen to reduce inflamation a bit more. Usually the first two work just fine.
2008-08-06 10:46 AM
in reply to: #1585059

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey

I have had this problem and I started using a nose clip as goofy as they look.  Since doing this for about 2 months now, no need for antihistamines or other medications since doing that and no sinus pain or problems.  I did use it in the triathlon - not sure I needed it but had it with me so I did use it.  I know some people breath out of their nose when swimming but I am a mouth breather anyway when I swim so the nose clip did not interfere with that.

Hope you find a solution that works for you.

2008-08-06 4:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mountain View, CA
I have the same problems and I fix them by using a Neti pot (sinus irrigation). It's the same thing I use for regular sinus issues... just rinse all the bad/foreign crap out of there so you breathe clean again.

2008-08-07 4:25 PM
in reply to: #1583826

NorCal
Thanks for your advice on sinus issues. I have the same problem no matter where I swim. At first I thought it was something in the lake water. However after swimming in two different pools and two different lakes with the same results I figure its just swimming in general. Ugh. I contemplating a trip to the allergist as my regular allergy meds aren't doing a thing.

2008-08-07 6:34 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
I used to have horrible sneezing fits after swimming...as in 10-12 hours of sneezing runny nose and wheezing....it was ridiculous.  I went on singulair.  It helped tremendously.  IF I am on a hyper chlorinated pool I still sneeze but its not as bad.  Your choices may boil down to be miserable or take some meds.  I prefer to take the meds over being miserable.  Your choice.
2008-08-14 8:53 AM

I have this every time I do open water swims. It doesn't happen in any pool. It starts about 4 hrs after and lasts for 2 days! It is getting worse each time I swim now. I can't sleep and I literally lose my next day. I have tried allergy meds, Sinutab, and nasal steroids.
I am faced with giving up swimming, which totally stinks because I can't run d/t plantar fascitis.
2008-08-22 12:25 PM

New user

I got a sinus infection that lasted five months from a sensitivity I must have developed from the chlorine (at the time I was not swimming open water.) I was sneezing like crazy after swimming and then I just was plugged up constantly.

Like another poster, I started using a nose clip. Never got another infection. It takes maybe one or two swims to get used to the clip but once you are it's absolutely a non issue. 

I think if you're swimming a good number of laps, at least for me, it's hard to avoid a tiny bit of water in the nose w/ all those flip turns.

2008-09-11 9:39 AM
in reply to: #1586435

User image

Gilbert, Arizona

sistinas - 2008-08-06 2:57 PM I have the same problems and I fix them by using a Neti pot (sinus irrigation). It's the same thing I use for regular sinus issues... just rinse all the bad/foreign crap out of there so you breathe clean again.

I had they same problem right after I started swimming.  My wife got me the Neti pot and I used it after swimming for a couple of weeks and now I have no problems after swimming.  

2009-12-26 11:14 AM

I know it's been about a year and a half but I've had many bouts w/ allergies and sinus infections.  You may be having an allergy to chlorine or other chemicals that are used in the pool but it may be bacteria causing the problem.  Pseudomonas aeruginosa bacteria grows in water.  It causes sinus infections, swimmer's ear, folliculitis (a rash that some may get after swimming in a pool), respiratory infections, etc.  Swimming is what I love so I do what a few others have suggested to help prevent infection.  Saline rinses w/ head upside down in the sink as you pour the saline solution in each nostril.  You may need something that produces a little more pressure than a neti pot to push all the gunk out of your sinuses, but just use the neti pot if you're having an ear infection as well because the pressure can make an ear ache worse.  Do these rinses after you swim and not a bad idea to just do it regularly AM and PM.  If you have an infection or a lot of cogestion, do it at least 4 times/day.  I know it's a pain, but so are sinus infections.  Also use a nose plug while swimming to help prevent bacteria and allergens from getting into your respiratory tract in the first place.  Hope this helps and just keep swimming!         

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sinus Problems After a Swim Rss Feed