General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Speedplays Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2008-08-06 8:39 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Speedplays

Just wondering who uses speedplay pedals here.  I've got Look keos right now & although I'm satisfied with them, in general, I'm entertaining getting speedplays for ease of clipping in.  I'm very, ahem, green with clipless pedals & find that I get stressed out when it comes to clipping in (although not so much clipping out).  I've been cycling for about four months, so I know these minor matters of comfort will come with experience, but I can't help but wonder if a different system might ease some of my nerves. 

I hear a lot about float and speedplays offerring free float - so if anyone can expand on that concept & why speedplays may or may not be good compared to what I have (outside of comfort), I'd love to learn more.  Thanks in advance!

2008-08-06 9:03 AM
in reply to: #1584684

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
Subject: RE: Speedplays

I started out with first-generation Look pedals (no float), then went to Shimano SPD (the MTB style) for several years, then to Speedplay (the X-series). I've been on the Speedplays for about 4 years now.

I've found that the Speedplays need a little more maintenance to keep clipping in easy, otherwise it takes a little pushing forward or backward to get the cleat to engage. But there is the definite plus of not having to make sure the pedal is "upright".

The free float is a strange sensation initially, but that goes away quickly (the sensation, not the float).

2008-08-06 9:21 AM

User image

Veteran

Thanks!!! 

Does the free float sensation, literally, allow your heel to sway with each stroke?  My foot stays fixed right now - I'm wondering if this type of freedom might make me feel more unstable, especially when I'm climbing!

2008-08-06 1:05 PM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
I've used different Look pedals for years and years, but my coach finally convinced me to try Speedplay (I do have knee problems and he thought it might help with some additional float).

After using them since January this year, I wouldn't even entertain the idea of using anything else. What I absolutely love about the Speedplay Zero is that you can set the float independently from inside to outside... I have very little float inwards (no more than a few degrees), but probably just over 10deg. outwards. This allows me to use the float for my knee problem, but limiting it so my heal don't hit the crankarm.

The first ride was very different sensation since there is no "center" on the pedals, a bit of the sensation like walking on ice... but you're secure in the pedal at all times, so that is not an issue, and after the first ride I was used to it.

If you are a bit nervous about clipless pedals, Speedplay do have the LightAction pedals, which are very easy to get out of (all Speedplays are easy to clip in to, just push downwards with a little ankle twist and you're in).
2008-08-06 3:04 PM

User image

Elite

Echoing what the above poster said...Speedplay Zero's are great for many reasons.

First of all...the float issue.  It's not "unlimited" float, but more of a wide degree of float that is completely adjustable.  You can screw the adjustments down to Zero float if you like.  I too came to Speedplay after developing a knee problem.  The Shimano SPD-L pedals were tearing me up.  However they're not just for people with knee problems. 

They're light.  They have a very high lean clearance, so the likelihood of you catching a pedal on the pavement when sharp cornering is lessened.  Clipping in and out is a piece of cake.  Stomp and go....twist and you're out.

At first you will notice a different sensation, as described as slipping on ice.  Your entire foot doesn't slide, but just your heal depending on how much float you've dialed in.

IMO:  Speedplay Zero is the end-all to road pedals.

2008-08-06 4:23 PM

User image

Master
South of SLC
Speedplay user here. I almost put Speedplays on the new MTB, but decided to go with a MTB specific pedal instead. I would never use any other pedal on my tri bike.

Mike

2008-08-06 4:40 PM
in reply to: #1584854

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

You will feel unstable initially (don't try them for the first time on race day), and yes, they do allow your heel to move throughout each pedal stroke. But... Within 3 rides or so that sensations starts to dissapate very rapidly. Within 2 weeks you won't know the difference.

2008-08-07 8:08 AM
in reply to: #1586374

User image

Elite
Armpit of Ontario

Okay, I guess I'm going to be the only one to say I didn't like Speedplays, the very reason being all the float.

I went from generic spd's to Speedplays, while admittedly a clipless newbie, and really tried to like them (since I got them based solely on all the Speedplay love here on BT), but I just could not get used to all the float. Regardless of how much time I spent riding, I still found that feet-slipping-on-ice feeling too disconcerting and distracting that it affected my pedal stroke and caused me to avoid standing on the pedals, so after almost an entire season I switched to Crank Brother's Quattro road pedals and found real pedal love.

Quattros have quite a few similarities with Speedplays: low stack height, good cornering clearance, no-look clipping in, and double-sided entry (but with 4 points of entry instead of just 2), with adjustable tensioned float that allow you to select between different release angles depending on which way you mount the cleat.

Where Quattros really trump Speedplays, IMHO, is they require no maintenance (cleaning/lubing) and you can actually run in the shoes - they have composite cleat adapters that sort of recess the cleat, allowing you traction so you don't have to walk like a duck or slip around, and the cleats DO NOT clog like Speedplays.

And just like Speedplays, they come in an assortment of colours to match your kit or bike, if that's important to you.

2008-08-07 8:15 AM

User image

Master
Tiger's Den

I also tried speedplays when trying to pick out pedals for my tribike. I have spd sl's on my  road bike (similar to look) and that is what I am used to. I did not like all the float on the speedplays. Hated it- seemed to make it harder to clip out of and I didn't like that.

So I went with Time pedals. Similar motion to clip in and out as my spd sl's. So far I've been happy with the Time.

2008-08-07 10:50 AM
in reply to: #1587222

User image

Master
Riverside, IL
sty - 2008-08-07 8:08 AM

Okay, I guess I'm going to be the only one to say I didn't like Speedplays, the very reason being all the float.

I went from generic spd's to Speedplays, while admittedly a clipless newbie, and really tried to like them (since I got them based solely on all the Speedplay love here on BT), but I just could not get used to all the float. Regardless of how much time I spent riding, I still found that feet-slipping-on-ice feeling too disconcerting and distracting that it affected my pedal stroke and caused me to avoid standing on the pedals, so after almost an entire season I switched to Crank Brother's Quattro road pedals and found real pedal love.

Quattros have quite a few similarities with Speedplays: low stack height, good cornering clearance, no-look clipping in, and double-sided entry (but with 4 points of entry instead of just 2), with adjustable tensioned float that allow you to select between different release angles depending on which way you mount the cleat.

Where Quattros really trump Speedplays, IMHO, is they require no maintenance (cleaning/lubing) and you can actually run in the shoes - they have composite cleat adapters that sort of recess the cleat, allowing you traction so you don't have to walk like a duck or slip around, and the cleats DO NOT clog like Speedplays.

And just like Speedplays, they come in an assortment of colours to match your kit or bike, if that's important to you.

I'm glad somebody mentioned the Quattros...I've been looking into these pedals for awhile and it's good to hear from somebody that actually uses them and likes them.
2008-08-07 10:53 AM

User image

Veteran
Awesome, thanks everyone!  My biggest concern after reading your posts is that slippery feeling being described..especially since I still feel a little unsteady as it is.  I'm going to look into the Quattros too and see what the deal is there...I think there is a lot of hype about Speedplays....which obviously is why I asked for your opinions!!

2008-08-07 1:43 PM

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama
Speedplays and my knees love them.  I like the wide range of float and dual sided entry.
2008-08-07 4:48 PM

User image

Master
PA

I was brand new to cycling and have nothing to compare to, but I love Speedplays...3 main reasons, double-sided, very easy to get in and out of, float (nice to be able to move your foot a little bit if your feet are getting numb).  Your foot is totally secure when you're clipped in, so I don't notice the float at all unless I'm consciously wanting to move my foot.  Definitely not noticing float while climbing, all thoughts on quad burning and getting my a$$ up the hill.

Good luck!

2008-08-07 5:56 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
I just got some Speedplay Zero's this summer.  I notice the "ice skating" feeling if I stand on the pedals (either for climbing or to relieve my tender taint) but not for normal pedaling.  I'd used SPD (mountain style) pedals for the two previous years. 
2008-08-07 8:30 PM
in reply to: #1588759

User image

Master
Speedplays are my choice for all of the reasons mentioned already. The walking/running in bike shoes is not an issue for me because my shoes remain clipped in at all times. You should learn to slip your feet into your shoes after mounting the bike out of T1 and slip out of your shoes and jump off the bike going into T2. This will save you transition time and makes the walking/running issue mute.

2008-08-07 9:33 PM

User image

Expert
Orange County, California
Some races like IM Lake Placid, don't let age groupers leave their shoes clipped to the bike in transition. The shoes must be off the pedals until your foot is in the shoe per the rules.

Pro's can have the shoes on the pedals at IMLP.

2008-08-08 12:34 AM

User image

Pro
Husker Nation
So... those of you who had Speedplays and didn't like them, do you have a set you're looking to get rid of???
2008-08-08 10:37 AM

User image

Minneapolis
I have speedplays and they are great for me. When I bought them I think the guy at the LBS summed up the float thing pretty well. He said that it all depends on where you are coming from and what you are used to. If they are your first clipless pedals you will probably not notice it that much or be bothered by the float but if you are used to having no float because you used other clipless pedals then you will either love them or hate them and there is not much in-between.
2008-08-08 12:09 PM
in reply to: #1589284

User image

Master
Tiger's Den

Bripod - 2008-08-08 1:34 AM So... those of you who had Speedplays and didn't like them, do you have a set you're looking to get rid of???

I think my coach has a set for sale that is $50. PM me if you are interested and I'll pass along her email...

2008-08-08 12:54 PM

User image

Expert
SF Bay Area
I had mine for about a year and then sold them, I never really liked them. The pedal was OK, it was the cleats I didn't like, too complicated and too easily chewed up when walking on them. If you run in your shoes through transition, I think speedplays are the worst choice. Plus, my feet are huge and it was just weird trying to clip into something that small. Though dual sided entry, I never found them any easier to clip into.

I rode Looks for years before but after the Speedplays I switched to Shimano Ultegra, I like them OK. The cleat is very simple (like Look) but has rubber tabs for grip while walking.

2008-08-08 1:08 PM
in reply to: #1590194

User image

Pro
Husker Nation
SuzanneS - 2008-08-08 12:09 PM

Bripod - 2008-08-08 1:34 AM So... those of you who had Speedplays and didn't like them, do you have a set you're looking to get rid of???

I think my coach has a set for sale that is $50. PM me if you are interested and I'll pass along her email...

PM Sent.

2008-08-08 7:53 PM
in reply to: #1589284

User image

Master
PA

Bripod--I like the way you think!!!

2008-08-11 9:11 PM

Hi Folks,

Resurrecting the thread here.  I just got a pair of Speedplay Light Action pedals.  They are my first clipless pedals.  I'm right handed/footed and I'm having a bit of a problem clipping in and out and haven't found it actually addressed.  I can clip in and out effortlessly with the right pedal but not the left.  With the left foot, I rotate the foot out to the left but nothing happens- still clipped in...  I have found a solution is to rotate the foot and then twisting the outside of foot to get the foot unclipped.  It "sometimes" works and seems very forced, a very different feeling than the right.  Does the position of the cleat on the shoe effect this?  Or would this be a case of operator error, which I admit may be entirely the case?   Thanks!

2008-08-12 1:33 AM

User image

Regular
Living in Singapore...
Can't comment on the speedplays sorry, but if you're looking for a pedal that's easy to clip in then take a good look at the Time pedals.  I use these both on my tri bike and now on my road bike as well, having just replaced the Look Keo Sprints.  The Looks were fine, but clipping in was a chore and I had to look down more often then not.  With the Time's I almost never look down.  The other good thing about the time pedals is that you can choose whether you want your feet close to the centre line or just a little bit further out (to ease the pressure on your knees) simply by swithching the cleats from one foot to the other.  The cleats are also great to walk on and do not slip at all.
2008-08-12 4:31 PM
in reply to: #1589011

jonmetz - 2008-08-07 7:30 PM

Speedplays are my choice for all of the reasons mentioned already. The walking/running in bike shoes is not an issue for me because my shoes remain clipped in at all times. You should learn to slip your feet into your shoes after mounting the bike out of T1 and slip out of your shoes and jump off the bike going into T2. This will save you transition time and makes the walking/running issue mute.

So, even with all the float, your shoes don't ever pop off when you're trying to get your foot out with leaving your shoe in?

The reason I ask is because one time, coming to T2, my feet were on top of my shoes, and when I lifted my right leg over my saddle, to get ready to jump off my bike, my left foot, on top of the shoe, made my shoe pop off the pedal, and I almost ate it hard. I'm not sure if this is because I had too much float, or not enough float.. I use KEOs...
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Speedplays Rss Feed  

of 2