General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What is best "cross" training? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-08-07 12:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
In front of computer when typing this.
Subject: What is best "cross" training?
Hi. I bruised (badly) or cracked a rib last week playing soccer (yeah, stay away from sports- bad for your health). Anyway, normally I would give it more time to heal because it hurts but I have my first oly tri in about 8 weeks. I can't really run right now (I ran 2 days ago and it hurt far more after the run, so giving it another week or so to recover more before I venture out again to test it) and can't swim either because every time I pull it stretches out the ribcage, which doesn't feel great at all. So, I have been riding and spinning in the gym, which is cool and the bike course on the tri is a tough one, so wanted to focus on that anyway. But I am wondering what other kinda of crosstraining I might be able to do to stay in shape and maybe even help me get ready for the tri? I'm not worried about the cycling part at this point but am worried about the running and swimming. Anything I can do? Or just let it rest and bike to stay in shape? Any thoughts welcome. I guess another options is to not do the tri, but I'm thinking HTFU on this one! Wink

2008-08-07 1:02 PM
in reply to: #1587897

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: What is best "cross" training?
If you can aqua-jog, that's a decent replacement for running while injured (not sure if this will work or not for you given your injury).  But if you're trying to prep for running or swimming, you'd want to be mimicing those motions as much as possible.  If those motions cause you pain, not much you can do about it.  In that case, just ride lots until you can swim & run again.
2008-08-08 4:32 AM
in reply to: #1587897

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Subject: RE: What is best "cross" training?
I was going to suggest the same thing. Water running is great cross training for running...it really does work. And you won't be reaching overhead as you would be in swimming, so you should be able to manage it.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What is best "cross" training? Rss Feed