Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-08-18 2:34 PM
in reply to: #1605153

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Subject: RE: Gardasil Vaccine
runner - 2008-08-14 8:47 PM

So I've been hearing a lot about the Gardasil vaccine which protects against some strains of HPV. It sounds like there's controversy over what it protects against in relation to the high cost. I'm no medical professional, but I feel like even if there's protection againstsome strains of HPV it's useful. Our insurance covers 100% of the cost of the 3 shots except a $5 copay. I'm thinking why not, but I'm wondering if anyone has any insight about the vaccine that may be helpful to me. I don't know what's true from what's not, and I know there are MDs on BT so I'm looking for some opinions/attitudes/whatever towards Gardasil. I don't know if there are any long-term side effects of the vaccine, or anything like that.

BTW, I called my Dr's office & was told I need an appt with the Dr. in which he will talk to me about the vaccine. So I'm not basing my decisions just off of your replies. I'm not in a hurry b/c I'm guessing my doc is going to give me the whole speech about continuing regular screenings. Then I can just hear him asking when my last screening was or looking in my chart, to find that it was 1.5 yrs ago (the first and only one). I'll be mildly scolded, then probably have a screening which I dread.

no one knows what the long term effects are....presumably cervical cancer prevention.

you don't have to answer these questions here, but things to consider are how old are you and how many partners have you had? If you are a 16 year old virgin, you'll get more benefit from the vaccine than if you are a 30 year old who has had many sexual partners.

HPV is transmitted from skin to skin contact, even with condoms. the thinking is that by the time you've had several parters, even if you've always used protection, then you've already been exposed to a whole bunch of HPV strains....

In any case, regular pap smear screening is essential. Cervical cancer is easy to screen for and easy to treat if caught in time.

2008-08-19 2:41 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-08-19 10:35 AM
in reply to: #1612692

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
Sharkie - 2008-08-19 3:41 AM

Speaking of Gardasil....

Why are they only targeting Women with this vaccine? Obviously men can't get cervical cancer. But might it prevent them from carrying the strains it vaccinates for?

They haven't done all of the testing on men.  They only did it on women, so that's all it can be approved for.  I'm hoping they do test on men and the FDA approves it for use also.  It makes more sense to immunize both to prevent transmission. 

2008-08-19 1:12 PM

Lafayette, CO

Okay, I'm going to jump in here and remind you that YOU are the only one who can take control of your health and while we do have to suffer through paps and exams it really isn't that bad compared to the things they can protect us from or make sure that we catch early.  And they should get easier the more times you do them. 

Now, for a bit of education on HPV.  There are studies that say up to 70% of women have had or will have HPV in their life.  Not all cases lead to cervical cancer and most clear up on their own, often with the person never knowing they've had it.  I'd be willing to bet there are a number of people you know who have or have had it.  Personally, I'd get the vaccine.  I would have if it had been approved when I was in the age range.   Nothing is a 100% guarantee against anything but it's nice to know you have that little extra protection. 

2008-08-19 1:19 PM
in reply to: #1613909

COSkiGirl - 2008-08-19 2:12 PM

Okay, I'm going to jump in here and remind you that YOU are the only one who can take control of your health and while we do have to suffer through paps and exams it really isn't that bad compared to the things they can protect us from or make sure that we catch early.  And they should get easier the more times you do them. 

Now, for a bit of education on HPV.  There are studies that say up to 70% of women have had or will have HPV in their life.  Not all cases lead to cervical cancer and most clear up on their own, often with the person never knowing they've had it.  I'd be willing to bet there are a number of people you know who have or have had it.  Personally, I'd get the vaccine.  I would have if it had been approved when I was in the age range.   Nothing is a 100% guarantee against anything but it's nice to know you have that little extra protection. 

Agreed. I didn't want to sound like a btitch, but REALLY ladies, suck it up and go get your exams. If a male doc creeps you out, get a female doc. It shouldn't take long or hurt too much, esp. if you are relaxed. Definitely worth knowing that everything is 100% down there. Sorry for the rant - family tragedy here, involving female-specific cancer, so I'm a bit paranoid.

My doc said at my last exam, that if they approve the vaccine for women over 26 (I think it's 14-26 right now and I am almost 28), to go get it. Never hurts to have the added protection with stuff like that, ya know? Cancers of the lady-bits are nothing to mess with.

2008-08-19 2:07 PM

Kingsport

As a health care professional, I am extremely against this vaccine. There are soooo many adverse side effects to this shot that the regular medical community does not want you to know or they do not know it themselves. It is not my job to tell someone what to do, but to make sure they have the proper information to allow them to make their own educated decision. Here is a link that will give you the reality to what this shot is all about.

http://search.mercola.com/Results.aspx?q=gardasil&k=gardasil

No, boys/men cannot get cervical cancer. obviously because they have no cervix, but some states are passing laws to force parents into giving it to their boys as a prevention to throat cancer. (because boys and girls are more premiscuous these days)HOW REDICULOUS!

The immune system of 80-90% of women can heal the body of HPV without the use of any medication. Not so with men. the other 10-20%, as long as they have a regular papsmear, can have this detected early enough and treated without any issues whatsoever.

2008-08-19 4:25 PM
in reply to: #1614534

runner - 2008-08-19 5:22 PM

Thanks for all of the info.....although I am now scared that maybe I should NOT get the vaccine. I will have to discuss it with my doctor. I am a bit confused as I read this at the end of one of the articles:

"TGA noted that the safety of Gardasil was being monitored by officials in Australia and overseas, and that the adverse reactions are consistent with those expected from any vaccine."

So, in other words ANY vaccine may produce these same reactions???

Talk to YOUR doctor about the vaccine and any concerns you might have.

And yes, you can have a reaction to a vaccine. Any doctor will tell you this. They're injecting a disease into you - I had a reaction to one vaccine I got recently - mild fever and "blah" feeling. It went away in a day and I was fine. But when I got the vaccine, I was handed a sheet listing the possible reactions. It's not like they kept it a secret.

But regardless, go get your yearly "female" exam. No excuses not to.

Edited by wurkit_gurl 2008-08-19 4:32 PM
2008-08-19 4:34 PM
in reply to: #1612018

Mountain View, CA
runner - 2008-08-18 6:15 PM

AdventureBear - 2008-08-18 2:34 PM
runner - 2008-08-14 8:47 PM

no one knows what the long term effects are....presumably cervical cancer prevention. you don't have to answer these questions here, but things to consider are how old are you and how many partners have you had? If you are a 16 year old virgin, you'll get more benefit from the vaccine than if you are a 30 year old who has had many sexual partners. HPV is transmitted from skin to skin contact, even with condoms. the thinking is that by the time you've had several parters, even if you've always used protection, then you've already been exposed to a whole bunch of HPV strains.... In any case, regular pap smear screening is essential. Cervical cancer is easy to screen for and easy to treat if caught in time.

Thanks so much for the info! It seems like there's controversy over getting the vaccine, so I wasn't sure if there was something specific to be worried. It's hard to find accurate info other than at my Dr's office, so I really do appreciate your post....very helpful!

My Dr's nurse actually called saying that I'm overdue for a pap smear. Even though I'm dreading it, it's scheduled. They scheduled me for a physical & pap smear.....apparently they schedule the 2 together. My last & only one was very uncomfortable from the immense pressure both when he locked the speculum and when he did the bimanuel exam. I thought I was going to urinate as I could feel pressure in my bladder, too. That's part of my issue with not scheduling....I guess this is minor if cancer may be found early & treated. 

Pap smears and such are never particularly pleasant, but if you had a bad experience, you might look into scheduling your next one with a different doctor. Having moved around a bit, I've seen a few doctors, and everyone seems to do it a bit differently. I'm pretty happy with my current doctor. It's still no day at the spa, but I think most people would agree that a few minutes of discomfort once a year beats late-stage cervical cancer.

Also: I know it's more easily said than done, but relaxing helps with the unpleasantness of the exam. Breathe, communicate with the doctor, think of something peaceful (or just distracting), whatever works for you. Good luck!
2008-08-19 5:50 PM

Champion
New York, NY

ok as a doc who gives this vaccine (and I took it as well though I am 45) I am ALL FOR this vaccine.

It protects against 4 strains of HPV - 2 that go to cervical cancer (of the 16 strains that can) and 2 that cause external warts.  These strains are responsible for 70-90% of HPV infections

Men are being studied now.  I have every intention of immunizing my boys as men are the risk pool that women get the virus from.

Having said that,  USE CONDOMS. No they are not 100% but is sure lowers your risk of getting one of the strains that goes to cervical cancer!

And yes, get your regular pap smears - that means annually for women in non-committed relationships who have had all normal paps, and for those who are married/in committed relationships and have NEVER had an abnormal pap every 3 years.

The frequency increases if you have an abnormal pap (every 3-4 months typically until one year of normals).  

We are pretty good at early detection of abnormalities and preventing progression to cervical cancer, but this vaccine will help prevent the need for colposcopy and biopsy - invasive procedures.  I look forward to the week that I don't do at least 2-3!

2008-08-20 5:09 PM
in reply to: #1614857

Champion
New York, NY
runner - 2008-08-19 8:59 PM

If I get the go ahead to get a pap every 3 yrs, do I still need a yearly pelvic exam? The way I understand things, a pap is different from a pelvic exam, and I think they're checking for different things. I could be terribly wrong, though.

Yes....though partly age and family history dependent....

but short answer is yes.You are also then NOT in at risk for HPV (that you don't already have ) so unless you break up from current partner don't bother with the vaccine.

Edited by TriToy 2008-08-20 5:11 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Gardasil Vaccine Rss Feed