General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Speed on a Mountain Bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-08-15 6:02 PM

User image

San Antonio
Subject: Speed on a Mountain Bike

Hello, I am a super-newbie, not one race (in the past 8 years) and I am currently starting out on a mountain bike because I was originally scared as heck on the higher seated/faster road bike.

It's working out great and I glad I decided to start this way...I'm getting over the things that bothered me/challenged me a few years ago on the road bike. For one, I'm not afraid to let go of the handlebars and grab my drinking tube. Also, the gear switching is less intimidating (although I'm still practicing this to get a better grip on things). So I'm getting comfortable on the bike and no longer afraid of it. Now I just need to get my gear shifting technique down and develop some speed.

I rode about 7 miles last night with an average speed of 8.8 mph. A snail lapped me a couple of times but fortunately he didn't laugh at me.

So now that I know how to bike and am not scared of it, I need to get faster. I know that I'll not be able to move as fast on a mountain bike as I would on a rocket-bike. It's heavier, for one, and it definately burns the legs at that.

I will eventually upgrade to a rocket-bike once I get a few short races under the belt and feel comfortable enough to go for it. Not to mention I'm saving the cash for a really good one.

So, in the meantime, how fast can I expect to move on a mountain bike? I see several posts on the race board of folks moving 18-25 mph on what I"m assuming are tri-bikes. What is a reasonable MPH goal for a mountain bike? I have gone as fast as 12MPH...which seems pretty small and insignificant LOL...

2008-08-15 6:46 PM
in reply to: #1607248

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
Subject: RE: Speed on a Mountain Bike
Hi,

Way to go on working toward your triathlon goals!

I spent my first season (2005) on a mountain bike, because I didn't want to spend a ton of money on a road bike. I did two sprint races that year in rolling hills, and got 14 mph average speed during the first race, after following the beginner sprint training plan on this site. A few months later, I got 16.8 mph in a sprint race. The difference simply being riding alot. How much the mountain bike weighs may be a factor in the type of speed you can get, too. The bike I had back then weighed just over 30lbs. Some mountain bikes, especially the cheap walmart variety ones, weigh like 50 lbs!

Spinning at a higher cadence in a lower gear is better because it saves your muscles. So, try to do that instead of grinding hard in a bigger gear. The other important thing is to put lots of miles on your bike. Between those two races above, I was probably riding at least 30 miles a week. Now I ride over 100 miles a week. I set out to make biking my strength from day 1 because that is the longest leg of a triathlon, so a 10% improvement there translates to more saved minutes.

Here are the race reports on my blog from those two races...Good luck!!!

1st race: http://www.triathlontrainingblog.com/?p=29
2nd race: http://www.triathlontrainingblog.com/?p=52

Edited by keyone 2008-08-15 6:59 PM
2008-08-15 8:15 PM

User image

Expert
central Iowa
What kind of tires do you have on your bike?  One of the fastest ways to make improvements is to switch from standard 'knobby' mountain bike tires to 'slicks', which are smoother, more road bike-like tires designed for mountain bikes.  Also try to find someone to fit your bike to you as best as possible, so that you are using it as efficiently as possible.
2008-08-15 9:35 PM

User image

Expert
Cornfields of Illinois

i just did my first tri and it was on my mtn bike.  I would highly recommend having your LBS put some slicks on it.  Once i did that I was able to average 16-21mph depending on the training day and course.  Most times I was able to keep it around 19mph.

Good Luck!

2008-08-15 9:41 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Congratulations on starting your training! YOu are in for a lifetime of fun. I also did my first 2 seasons on an old mountain bike with slick tires on.

The training you do on a mtn bike will convert just fine once you get a "rocket bike" lol.

At speeds of 8-12 mph, it's likely that your limiter right now is simply training and riding more. Especially with your concerns about letting go of the handlebars (you should only have to let go with one hand to get a drink) and shifting gears, it sounds like you are just now getting to the point where you cna even think about going faster.

Right now you shouldn't worry about your absolute speed, rather worry about training at the right pace for you. Are you following a plan in terms of training by perceived exertion or heart rate? Have you done any testing on yourself?

Keep on riding!!!
2008-08-15 9:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carlsbad, CA

I was in your position on a bike not too long ago, and I have gotten to a point where I can really push the mountain bike on the road.  As mentioned, I also put some road slicks on and it made a WORLD of difference.  Just to try it out, you can get a pair of Bontrager Road Warrior Slicks for about $40.  Spend another few on new tubes and you're ready to go!

Also, I would suggest that if you have shocks on your front forks, pump them up with as much air as they;ll hold and lock them down.  A lot of the energy you expend to move your bike is being eaten up by the shocks.

Now, I just switched to a road bike about a week ago, and I'm in love ... I get your "rocket" analogy   When you're ready to move up, you'll know it and you won't be able to control the urge to get a new bike.  Trust me.

Until then, have fun on what you've got and enjoy the ride! 

2008-08-15 11:55 PM

User image

San Antonio

Hey everyone and THANK YOU for the input and the feedback. I have been reading up on the road slicks and have not read one single negative comment about them! I'll get some put on ASAP. I also have been riding in the wrong gears...LOL...well ya know the rookie has to learn. I was backwards thinking the BIG cogs are the easier ones...Surprised (duh). So I am glad that with each ride I'm getting a bit more educated and comfortable.

I have been training basically by "feel" or exertion...and I stay between 6 and 8 out of a scale of 10. If I'm struggling with the gears it's more like an 11 LOL. Of course, with each ride, the gear shifting becomes much easier. I have my third ride (third total) scheduled for Sunday and I'm looking forward to a better ride. They've been improving each time.

I also read that training on the MTN bike builds lots of pedal power...so the rocket-bike ends up being that much more of a rocket LOL.

I'm glad I went this way in getting started. It has really been working well and I'm only on week one. As for the trainin plan, well I am not really on a tri plan, but I have been fitting the bike in on the days off for my 5k running plan. I run on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays and then bike on the off days. And of course at this point, the bike training is still in the phase of learning how to do it properly, but I'm definately getting good workouts while I'm learning. I want to do a duathlon in December, so I'll be grabbing one of the training plans off of the site--oh wait I have a book on the way (I almost forgot). Found it on amazon: Book

BTW does anyone besides me just love expertvillage.com?? The videos are great! I learned how to pimp my bike with the seat tilt and the computer from one of the bike videos. Tomorrow's lesson: flat fixes. I'm taking the bike to the LBS to put on the slickers...don't want to change a tire that isn't flat by myself LOL.

2008-08-16 5:57 AM

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
If your new bike computer has cadence....look at that. Try to spin at a cadence of 90. When I first got a computer on my mountain bike (in that first year), my natural cadence was in the 70s. Work up to it (at a lower gear, too).

Good luck and Have fun!!!
2008-08-16 12:53 PM

User image

Master
TORONTO
I've been training on a mountain bike and have done two mini sprints on it.  I put thin slicks and had a good tune up.  Initially I was around 12 mph but with time have increased and find in a race go about 15-18 mph.  Definitely slower than a road bike but still fun and you'll get the race experience.  In hindsight I probably would have gone even thinner on the tires...
2008-08-16 1:50 PM
in reply to: #1607434

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal
bulldog520 - 2008-08-15 7:35 PM

i just did my first tri and it was on my mtn bike.  I would highly recommend having your LBS put some slicks on it.  Once i did that I was able to average 16-21mph depending on the training day and course.  Most times I was able to keep it around 19mph.

Good Luck!

I hate people like you.  16-21 mph on a mountain bike?  Heck, I can't do that on my road bike most of the time.

2008-08-16 7:22 PM

User image

Master
I did my first race on a MTB with slick tires at about 16 MPH. A month later, my road bike race average was 18 MPH. It was the bike, more than the training.

2008-08-16 8:45 PM
in reply to: #1607940

User image

Expert
Cornfields of Illinois
SevenZulu - 2008-08-16 1:50 PM
bulldog520 - 2008-08-15 7:35 PM

Good Luck!

I hate people like you.  16-21 mph on a mountain bike?  Heck, I can't do that on my road bike most of the time.

Full disclosure though Zulu, only riding 6-15 miles and mainly flat Illinois roads for training right now to keep that pace up. Cool

2008-08-17 4:43 AM
in reply to: #1607579

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
amazonscorch - 2008-08-15 10:55 PM

learned how to pimp my bike with the seat tilt and the computer from one of the bike videos. Tomorrow's lesson: flat fixes. I'm taking the bike to the LBS to put on the slickers...don't want to change a tire that isn't flat by myself LOL.

I say go ahead and change it yourself...better to learn while at home in your dry, warm (or air conditioned) house then when out on a ride.

If you can't figure it out, THEN go to the bike shop.

Or see if they will do one, and you can do the other with some help.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Speed on a Mountain Bike Rss Feed