General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Multiple workouts a day = higher metabolism? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-08-16 5:52 AM

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Multiple workouts a day = higher metabolism?

So a couple of days ago I ended up doing 4 workouts in one day:

1) 1 hour ride on the way to work
2) 36 min lunchtime run
3) 20 min ride home
4) 45 min swim at night 

All were moderate aerobic workouts except the ride home where I was pushing it a bit to beat the weather.

I felt great during all the sessions, ate really well and appropriately all day, felt fine that night and slept well. The next day I woke up and ate like a horse:

1st breakfast = banana + 3 toast with peanut butter
2nd breakfast = 2 kiwifruit, yoghurt, museli
early lunch = small serving of left over pasta, salmon, and vege from night before
at lunchtime = 2 large homemade (i.e. v healthy) muffins 

And finally at that point of the day I felt like I was satisfied (food-wise for the first time all day. I've done long workouts in a single discipline before and never felt the need for that much food. It got me wondering if it was the multiple workouts keeping the metabolism high all day long and this carrying over to the next day?

If so could be a good approach for those looking to loose weight - cut back the really long workouts and go for frequency.

Any thoughts?
Gerrard

2008-08-16 7:35 AM
in reply to: #1607640

User image

Veteran
Traverse City, MI
Subject: RE: Multiple workouts a day = higher metabolism?

I think this is a great strategy to keep your calorie furnace burning, especailly considering your fueling yourself with several small, healthy meals. Everytime you bump up your HR and have a little snack in between, you'll boost up your metabolism greatly. As far as having those effects carry out into the next day is another story. Considering your workouts are aerobic - that burn boost will only last so long before it tapers off. However, if you substitute a little bit of strength training in your workouts the increased rate at which your body uses up calories will be prolonged significantly (like 24-36+ hours long as your muscles rebuild). I used this approach with some of my training - morning lift session and an evening areobic session. I saw great results and ate like horse (which is everyones goal right?)

In essence, yes, you were probably unsatisfied until lunch due to all the activity you were doing prior. So don't be afraid to eat more earlier as long as it doesn't interefere with the comfort of your training. This will also keep your meals smaller in the P.M. which helps weightloss.

Btw, You did you eat a dinner that day, right?   

2008-08-16 7:47 AM

User image

Master
Kirkland, WA
i noticed that when i was working out in the mornings, then going to work (i curently don't have time to do that ), i would basically eat every hour all day.  granted, i was eating pretty healthy stuff (yogurt and granola, fruit, fresh veggies etc).  then i would typically work out at night too.  i think it definitly makes me more hungry and if your eating healthy/low calorie foods, your body just demolishes it very quickly.
2008-08-16 8:14 AM

User image

Champion
Your metabolism is generally boosted for the better part of 24 hours after workouts anyway.  If it's part of your plan to do those workouts, go for it, but I doubt it will have much effect on your metabolism over less frequent workouts.
2008-08-16 2:44 PM

Extreme Veteran

Yep definitely had dinner and afternoon tea that day but can't remember what.

Come to think of it the quantity of food wasn't that much more than a typical training day. I think it was just that I got hungry so quickly in between that really stood out.

Cheers for the feedback

Gerrard 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Multiple workouts a day = higher metabolism? Rss Feed