General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Calf Injury Training For First HIM Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-08-16 1:46 PM

Subject: Calf Injury Training For First HIM
I strained a calf muscle and it hurts to run. I am on the 6th week of my 18 week HIM training program. It hurts to put weight on my left leg when I run. It warms up after about a mile or so and after about 3 miles it doesn't hurt much at all. At the end of my run there is not much pain at all but give it an hour or so it hurts to walk for about a day and a half. It does not hurt to bike or swim though. I think I should lay off of the running until it does not hurt at all but I do not want to fall behind too far. If I continue with the program minus the run will I be ready for my race on Nov 9th? Need advice.

2008-08-16 2:06 PM
in reply to: #1607939

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal
Subject: RE: Calf Injury Training For First HIM

Heal fully.  Better to be well and undertrained than exacerbate an injury and be totally screwed.  If you can, try to aquajog if it doesn't hurt you.  It may be therapeutic, and it's a good way to keep from losing run conditioning while your body heals up.

2008-08-16 2:09 PM

I appreciate it. I will try that following my swims.
2008-08-18 7:44 PM

San Jose, CA
Hey there grega2s,
I don't have an educated answer for you just wanted to say I am going through the same thing right now and let you know what has worked for me so far.

I took 7 days off of running and that seemed to really help. When i came back I stuck to soft tracks and dirt trails for my first 4 runs and it felt 90% healthy. Then i did a pavement run and re-injured it. So I would suggest to stay away from pavement when you do start running again.

Good luck on the HIM. I hope this injury does not set you back from your goal.
2008-08-18 8:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wayne, NJ
There are a few of us on BT going through the same (Calf Injury) thing. I have raced in 4 sprints this season and have injured (pulled my calf) in all but one event. I’m not really sure what’s going on, I am ok when I run on a treadmill, track or off road (trail) but every time I hit the road or race “Bam” it comes back.
I am currently going for therapy and having A.R.T. sessions, it has defiantly helped with recovery time. Therapist said it might be my running shoes so I just switched back to my old shoes. I have also just read that it might be caused by pedaling with my toe down. The bottom line for me is that I probably didn’t give my injury enough time to heal. But then again in my last race it happen to the opposite calf so I don’t think it’s an injury. I know it not a dehydration issue for me.

Any way I have taken 2 weeks off from running, switched shoes and went for another bike fit in order to make the adjustment with my pedaling (toes straight). I returned to running last week (ran 3 day 3-5m treadmill) and have been injury free so far and will be hitting the road tomorrow.

I know how you feel its holding me back from moving up to a Oly distance.................
2008-08-18 8:28 PM
in reply to: #1611954

User image

Champion
take one or two days off it, no running or biking.

then start water running, not with the belt, just get in the deep end and go. do your run workouts in there, tempo, long, etc, personally i wont go over 40 min but it will help and you will get FASTER . i ran in the pool for two months this past winter due to a stress fracture and i PRd on the first 4 races after i could run again o the run portion.

2008-08-18 9:13 PM

User image

Expert
Springfield, MO

Ditto on the A.R.T.     I think the pool running is a good idea, but I haven't tried it...yet.

Good Luck!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Calf Injury Training For First HIM Rss Feed