General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimming - Seeing Where I'm Going Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-08-16 2:42 PM

New user

Subject: Swimming - Seeing Where I'm Going

I'm a newbie, age 66, male who needs some help before my first sprint.

I'm a poor to fair pool swimmer who can swim 800 meters in 22 minutes in the pool.

I tried swimming in a lake today with a BueSeventy Suit and did poorly for the following reasons.

1. Wet Suit Forced my legs up and head down so I couldn't see where I was going. BTW when I tried the wet suit in the pool I was faster ( then no wetsuit)  with my legs higher because of the wetsuit

2. If I stopped and went to a breast stroke to see my speed goes to zero.

Whats the secret ?? 

On the positive side it will be impossible to drown as suit is so bouyant I can hang vertical with out kicking and my head is out of water.

Bob 

2008-08-16 2:50 PM
in reply to: #1607991

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
Subject: RE: Swimming - Seeing Where I'm Going
Try sighting by just lifting your head enough to see, so that your goggles are still halfway under water. This way you still stay in the proper horizontal swimming position. This is courtesy of my coach who taught sighting skills at the beginning of the outdoor swimming season. Another thing to consider is the possibility that breathing bilaterally, if you don't already do this, may straighten out your swimming so you need to sight less often.

Works for me, hope this will help!
2008-08-16 3:56 PM

User image

Pro
Brooklyn, NY
Like aquagirl said, the best way to sight is by just lifting your goggles only every few strokes to be sure you're on course. You don't take a breath, but just look up for a second and keep going. But I'm also just a fair swimmer and my sighting skills are pretty weak so I just pick my head up every 5 strokes or so. You'll get used to being able to look up and keeping afloat in the wetsuit. You can always try drafting, which works great as long as that swimmer is navigating well!
2008-08-17 5:09 AM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Velroc - 2008-08-16 1:42 PM

I'm a newbie, age 66, male who needs some help before my first sprint.

I'm a poor to fair pool swimmer who can swim 800 meters in 22 minutes in the pool.

I tried swimming in a lake today with a BueSeventy Suit and did poorly for the following reasons.

1. Wet Suit Forced my legs up and head down so I couldn't see where I was going. BTW when I tried the wet suit in the pool I was faster ( then no wetsuit) with my legs higher because of the wetsuit

2. If I stopped and went to a breast stroke to see my speed goes to zero.

Whats the secret ??

On the positive side it will be impossible to drown as suit is so bouyant I can hang vertical with out kicking and my head is out of water.

Bob

when is your sprint? The best help for you would be to have someone look at your swimming form. Your times are significantly lower than 2 min / 100...usually those folks have significant areas of improvement in form alone...something an experienced swimmer or coach can help you with.

Good horizontal balance in swimming actually DOES involve havn't your head down...I suspect that the wetsuit is hindering you in open water because your natural form involves lifting your head up to breathe, rather than having good horizontal balance...in which case your head woudl already be down adn the addition of the wetsuit would not be a shock to your form.

Hope that made sense...
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimming - Seeing Where I'm Going Rss Feed