General Discussion Triathlon Talk » whole new ballgame Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-08-16 3:07 PM

West Des Moines
Subject: whole new ballgame
Although I have lost weight in the past and was able to change my lifestyle habits with success. Since I have had my child and I no longer get to say "I just had a baby" since she is 6 years old, I have had the hardest time staying focus and in shape. I have a hard time keeping my diet in line and tend to lose and then gain it all back. Can anyone help me with nutrition and give me any pointers? I am now just getting back to the gym after 2 injuries that kept me out for 10 weeks. During that time I let my eating go and I have gained a lot of weight back after losing 35 pounds. Any insight would be helpful!

Thanks

2008-08-16 4:46 PM
in reply to: #1608013

User image

Lafayette, CO
Subject: RE: whole new ballgame
Well, it's hard to give nutrition pointers with nothing to work from.  What are your eating habits like now?  Any restrictions? What kind of workouts are you doing? 
2008-08-16 6:48 PM
in reply to: #1608063

West Des Moines
Thanks for replying. I have no restriction on what I can eat. I try to eat 6 small meals a day and at all cost try to avoid sugar and white flour. I do great all day and then I fail at night when I am home. I stay busy with raising my child on my own and having a full and part time job, not that I use that for an excuse. I try to work out atleast 5 times a week with atleast 3 of those days taking spin class. I do atleast 5 days of cardio and with weight training. I also take pilate classes when time permits. By no means am I a triathlete but my goal is to be one. I struggle with running and I do not swim.....as of yet. And I don't even own a bike!! I am TRUELY a beginner at everything this sports entails. But I have goals that I want to work hard on and reach them. I am looking to lose 40 to 50 pounds and gain strength.

Hope this helps!

Thanks.
2008-08-17 1:45 PM

User image

Lafayette, CO
Any idea how many calories you are taking in?  Eating frequently is good and I know you say small meals but small is relative so it's hard to judge from that.  You might try journaling your food intake for a week or two to get an idea of what your eating. 
2008-08-18 10:12 AM
in reply to: #1608792

User image

COSkiGirl - 2008-08-17 2:45 PM Any idea how many calories you are taking in? Eating frequently is good and I know you say small meals but small is relative so it's hard to judge from that. You might try journaling your food intake for a week or two to get an idea of what your eating.

I agree completely on journaling your food intake.  There was a recent study that demonstrated that those who record their meals tend to lose more weight than those who don't. It's been really helping me lose weight, so far.  I use www.fitday.com, but there are other websites out there that are good (I haven't looked at the nutrition journaling here, yet). 

2008-08-19 7:46 PM

West Des Moines
Thanks for the website I am now using it!

2008-08-20 7:52 AM

User image

Master
You can log your nutrition right here on BT, too. It's pretty easy.
2008-08-24 9:36 AM

User image

Veteran
Joplin, Missouri

While on one hand I am sorry that you are struggling so with getting your habits in check after baby.....on the other hand, I am somewhat relieved to hear that others have struggled with the same thing!

I am nearly 5 years post baby & just now starting to feel like I am getting it all together again!!

What changed??  I stopped trying to work around everyone else's life!  There are days of the week that they have to work around my life as a mother, wife, employee, daughter & daughter-in-law.  I actually started a workout last week at 5:45 and didn't get home until 7:00 to get dinner started!!  In the past, I would've been all worried about 'them' being hungry - or how late it would be before we finished dinner & started evening routine etc....but I figured they are able to grab a little snack if they need it

I would say if you've lost weight in the past, you probably know the nutrition part??  I used to think I had to cook 3 different meals at dinner for me to eat properly.  But guess what??  Everyone else (except my MIL who has no teeth right now) eats what I eat.  Sometimes, I will make a little mac & cheese or pasta sides for our son; but he loves most foods and has had no problems eating what I cook (he even asks for spinach, brussel sprouts & brocolli!).  My husband has lost 11 pounds since I started my journey so he is very excited too.

Our son will be 5 next month - so, it's taken me that long to get my mindset back to doing something for myself  

Good luck on your journey & see you around!

Edited by suziq_623 2008-08-24 9:37 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » whole new ballgame Rss Feed