General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone doing the Imperial Beach Tri??? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-08-16 8:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maricopa, AZ
Subject: Anyone doing the Imperial Beach Tri???

My wife and I are coming to San Diego for vacation and I am going to do the Imperial Beach triathlon Aug. 24th. Anyone else doing it? Is there anything specific I should know about this race?

Thanks!

moto_mort

2008-08-18 11:42 AM
in reply to: #1608251

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Subject: RE: Anyone doing the Imperial Beach Tri???

I am tentatively in for this race.

I just got a new bike and need a little shake down race to see how it performs. I had been planning on using this race as a possible tuneup for Carpinteria but then I broke my bike. (The Old One)

Just need to work on a few scheduling details to insure I can do it before committing.

2008-08-18 12:21 PM
in reply to: #1610640

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maricopa, AZ
WaterDog66 - 2008-08-18 9:42 AM

I am tentatively in for this race.

I just got a new bike and need a little shake down race to see how it performs. I had been planning on using this race as a possible tuneup for Carpinteria but then I broke my bike. (The Old One)

Just need to work on a few scheduling details to insure I can do it before committing.

Have you done this race before?

2008-08-18 1:12 PM
in reply to: #1610797

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
moto_mort - 2008-08-18 10:21 AM

Have you done this race before?

Yeah, did it in 2006 and was planning on 2007 but had to skip it when I re-injured my shoulder.

It is an OK race with many good points and a few not so good ones. The swim is usually pretty slow and I think they regularly mis-measure it. It does include a fairly long run from the water across the beach and down the street to Transition.

The Bike is lightning fast and pancake flat with just one or two technical turns. The 2 loops around the airport are great for big speed runs but watch out for the bumps around the hangars on the return.

The run course is also very flat and pretty fast although the outer portion of the course on the radio station grounds can get a bit hot as it is sheltered from the wind but has no shade and lots of asphalt. It is run over the same finish as the Silver Strand Half in November.

The biggest bummer about this race is that it is not USAT sanctioned and so has some quirks. The timing is a bit wonky and with only 3 timing mats, makes it interesting at best to figure everything out. (Your Swim-Bike transition is included in the swim and your bike-run transition is included in the bike)

But, because it is not USAT sanctioned, they do have a great swim buddy program for the newbies and makes a great first timers race

I was not on BT yet and so did not post a race report here. The race as a tuneup and so did not post one anywhere else either I guess. (I tried to find it)

2008-08-18 1:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maricopa, AZ

Thanks so much for the information. This helps a lot. I was worried that the bike course would have hills. Where I live in Arizona, there are no hills, so I tend to suck at hills big time. I am not too worried about it getting hot at all during the run. It have been training in 100 degree heat all summer.

This is only my second triathlon and I am really looking forward to it. It should be exciting to swim in the ocean. If you have any more tips about the swim I would greatly appreciate it. I have only swam in the ocean a couple times so I don't know what to expect.

2008-08-18 1:54 PM
in reply to: #1611031

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
moto_mort - 2008-08-18 11:40 AM

Thanks so much for the information. This helps a lot. I was worried that the bike course would have hills. Where I live in Arizona, there are no hills, so I tend to suck at hills big time. I am not too worried about it getting hot at all during the run. It have been training in 100 degree heat all summer.

This is only my second triathlon and I am really looking forward to it. It should be exciting to swim in the ocean. If you have any more tips about the swim I would greatly appreciate it. I have only swam in the ocean a couple times so I don't know what to expect.

Pfft, your gonna get cold out there on the course

As for the swim, it is a surf entry swim and will depend on the conditions. There are plenty of lifeguards on longboards around and they have a habit of warning swimmers who are on their way back in that a set of waves is coming.

The swim is on the south side of the pier and sighting is a relatively easy affair.

But unless you do some of your training at Big Surf, it might be a good idea to get in a couple of practice warmup swims the day before or and/or before the race just to get used to dealing with surf and currents.

Not sure how comfortable you are in the water but if your even the slightest bit itchy about the current conditions on race day, make a point to request a swim buddy. They will swim along side you and won't interfere with your progress unless you ask for assistance. (And you won't get penalized for having one)

Oh, here is a link with a webcam that shows the current conditions at the pier:

http://www.surfline.com/surf-report/imperial-pier-ss-southern-california_4256/

2008-08-18 4:49 PM
in reply to: #1611089

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maricopa, AZ

Thanks again for the info. I am going to get to San Diego Friday night so i am planning to do some swimming by the pier Saturday morning to get comfortable. I thrive on danger and I am not affraid of water, so I shouldn't need a swim buddy, but that is cool that they offer them. I can't wait for the weekend to come. I am so excited. By the way I am bib #90 if you decide to race. It would be cool to thank you in person.

2008-08-20 11:15 AM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California

OK, I am all in for this one

I have to be back in North County by 1:00PM but I think that it's reasonable to assume I can make it back in time. Doing this as a Tuneup for Carpinteria in September. This race is basically a shakedown cruise for my new bike to get me ready to rock next month.

Maybe see you either in transition or out on the course

2008-08-20 11:59 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maricopa, AZ
Awesome, I think you start the swim after I do. So you will most likely catch me on the course. Hopefully not! LOL
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone doing the Imperial Beach Tri??? Rss Feed