General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Run fitness Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-08-17 10:30 AM

Subject: Run fitness
Hi there, I completed my first sprint distance triathlon in July and am hooked! I came from a fitness running background, ie running about 20 miles a week, and joined a triathlon clinic to complete the triathlon. I am getting a bit concerned now as I have lost my running fitness. Bike and swim are fine and slowly improving time and distance, but I am really struggling with running. So much so that I dread going out to run. My pace is pretty slow (about 11.30 mins per mile) but even at this snail pace I can't seem to manage much more than about 20 minutes! I used to be able to run for an hour to an hour and a half! My legs feel like lead on the run. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions? Should I go back to running longer with walk breaks or something Help!

2008-08-17 10:47 AM
in reply to: #1608652

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
Subject: RE: Run fitness

you are probably doing too much training (total load for swim+bike+run) of what your body can currently handle. You prob need to work on been able to adapt and increase your current fitness level. It is hard to tell what is the cuase not having access to your logs or with specific details. 

Maybe you are biking more of what you can handle give your current fitness and it is leaving your legs to fatigued for running, maybe you are riding too hard, maybe you are doing too much swim+bike, maybe you are not working on the recovery details (fueling pre-while-post training), maybe you are not alternating easy and hard training days, maybe you are doing too many transition sessions (back to back), etc.

I would review my training load, find a training plan (or coach) that suit your needs, build up slowly (as I get fitter do a bit more), make sure I take care of the details to recdver faster, and most important remain consistent doing a little something every day. good luck

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Run fitness Rss Feed