General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri ing in the rain Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-08-18 11:54 AM

Regular
South Carolina
Subject: Tri ing in the rain
Just finished G'ville Sc tri. Began bike in rain and had to set up transition in the really wet area with rain. Other than being much more careful on cyclig course, any suggestions for wet set ups? I rode and ran in soakig wet shoes and socks. Transition towel/mat was totally wet ect. Not to mention, when you ride, the rain stings.

2008-08-18 12:14 PM
in reply to: #1610673

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
Subject: RE: Tri ing in the rain

I'll take an extra towel and use it to cover my gear in transition. 

You also may want to decrease your tire pressures 5-10 pounds if the roads are wet & slippery.   And watch out for the painted lines on the road.  I've tried using Rain-X on my sunglasses but am not really sure how much difference it made.

I also take along some extra towels and dry clothes to change into after the race.

Also good to clean and re-lube your bike as soon as you can afterwards.

Mark

2008-08-18 12:37 PM

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills

Did the Chattanooga Oly in July in the pouring rain ... and PR'ed it.  It was actually fun - even if the descents were a bit harry.

The key, I believe, is to embrace the fact that everything will be wet and to not to try to prevent it.   Putting on socks will be challenge; a singlet or jersey almost impossible (best to swim in a singlet).  Wear sunglasses because it will keep the rain from pelting your eyes.

If there is a bottle drop, try your best to steer clear of it.  Those things are dangerous enough when it is dry, add a little water and it will be like a NASCAR pitstop without brakes.

Remember that whatever nutrition you have will be wet too, including Endurolyte caplets, Cliff bars and so forth.

Lastly, have a great time.  Rain provides a free hall-pass from the pressures of finishing times

2008-08-18 1:01 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Been there done that twice last year.  1st one the transition area was flooded with +1" of water during the bike ride and came back to 100% soaked shoes which were under a water resistant backpack that had my dry socks.  It was a total waste of time to change into the dry socks with the wet shoes, didn't figure that out until I left T2 and feet were already soaked!

2nd one had a very hard downpour during the bike.  I had everything in the water resistant backpack inside a plastic bag. I was lucky that it stopped raining by the time T2 came around so I had dry soaks and shoes for the run.

2008-08-18 7:46 PM

User image

Expert
Plano, TX
Take a ziplock for your cell phone, car keys, etc!  Surprise monsoons at Lone Star a year ago ruined many a set of electronics.  (Well, at least my wife's.)
2008-08-18 8:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Anaheim

I have not had to race in the rain, but I have heard people get plastic tubs with lids to keep their stuff in.

Sungalsses don't always work so well in the rain. Mine just get so wet I can't see. Haven't tried any treatments to recommend one. I would keep my running shoes covered until you put them on. No reason for them to be water logged before you even start running.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri ing in the rain Rss Feed