General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Mealplans and such Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-08-18 5:54 PM

New user

Subject: Mealplans and such
Not sure if this the right spot for this thread but here goes. For starters I am a big boy 6'3 @225lbs. I am having a hard time losing the weight. I do good for a few days but by the end of the week I am starving and proceed to put the groceries away. I try to eat around 1500-2000 calories a day but still end up on the short side. Being in the military I am very good at having things structured so I ask has anyone found a mealplan that one does not cost an arm, leg and maybe a lung, but has real food that does not have me shopping at some crazy stores. I am also a person who can eat the same stuff over and over as long is it is good. Any sound advice would work. One last not I am terrible at determing my carb vs protein intakes. Thanks.

2008-08-19 9:33 AM
in reply to: #1611754

User image

Subject: RE: Mealplans and such

glock210 - 2008-08-18 6:54 PM Not sure if this the right spot for this thread but here goes. For starters I am a big boy 6'3 @225lbs. I am having a hard time losing the weight. I do good for a few days but by the end of the week I am starving and proceed to put the groceries away. I try to eat around 1500-2000 calories a day but still end up on the short side. Being in the military I am very good at having things structured so I ask has anyone found a mealplan that one does not cost an arm, leg and maybe a lung, but has real food that does not have me shopping at some crazy stores. I am also a person who can eat the same stuff over and over as long is it is good. Any sound advice would work. One last not I am terrible at determing my carb vs protein intakes. Thanks.

To start..Thanks for your service.

Being prior service, I am still a structured individual; however, when I relax....I really relax. "Pizza"

I am 6'1" and 210 lbs and can only say what has worked for me in order to maintain a healthy eating plan if that is what you are after. It may be too hardcore for some and not enough for others.

My plan in layman terms:

Most important  to me was to start off with an 80/20 or 70/30 plan if you do not want to go hardcore.  I am never 100% . I still want to enjoy bad food.

When you come up with how many meals you will eat for the week..eat hardcore healthy for 80% and take 20% of them for your cravings. Just do not over do the cravings. A few slices of pizza...not the whole pie like me. I usually save them for mid week and the weekend. Adjust as needed.

healthy: you can search the Internet for the best foods to eat. Most are close to being the same. Just have to adjust to what you like. Eating fresh foods is easier than some folks think.

carbs: I eat them all day. fruits and veggies. You can also download a glycemic index chart  to use accordingly if need be

Pre, during, and post nutrition: can be foods, drinks, combo. What complex carb or protein combo works for you is the key. Depending on the exercise pre is either food or drink. During is drink. Post is a shake followed by a meal within and hour or two. This is the only meal that I will have non-fruit/veggie food carbs. Pasta is my evil.

Sample simple menu:

bkfst:

1 egg 5 egg white omelet filled with as much veggies as I can fit, some cheese, and topped with salsa. Salsa is either homemade or store bought non'sugar non'HFCS, type. Apple and vitamins.

Lunch:

Half a bag of spinach, tons of salad veggies, chicken/tuna/meat, EVOO, fresh apple cider vinegar. 3/4 of the plate is the salad. 1/4 is the meat. Many times it is leftovers 

Dinner:

Same as lunch except grilled steak, fish, or chicken. I also like a warm veggie besides the salad.

The other 2 meals are fit in where needed. They are usually small. However, I eat fruits all day so the 2 meals are not really needed since I will snack on a piece of turkey and cheese while eating an apple. Or do a shake of some sort.

Of the 3 main meals, one will be my 1-2 hour post workout meal. I will then find a way to add pasta to the meal. 

Carbs and protein: This is what USA Cycling recommends

carbs: athletes, 6 to 10 grams per 2.2 pounds of bodyweight. Adjust according to daily routine

protein: athletes a minimum of 15 grams of  protein rich foods per day. However, endurance athletes should consume 1.2 to 1.8 per 2.2 pounds of bodyweight.

That being said...you need to find the right balance for you. There are plenty of guidelines based on sports, bodyweight, etc. In the end you need to adjust to your needs.

I do better not eating processed foods. If so, it is minimal. Such as a protein shake, carb mix for pre-dur-post nutrition, a can of tomato sauce for pasta..etc.

In conclusion,  my meal plan is cut and dry. It is what works for me. The carb/protein intake is what USA cycling recommends. Experiment and find what works for you.

Best of luck. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Mealplans and such Rss Feed