General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Here's a fun swim set Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-08-18 6:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Here's a fun swim set
We did an interesting exercise in our masters' workout last week - Swimming Golf! It's fun and will help build technique. Everyone in our workout tried it at least once, from beginners to national level swimmers.

Basically, swim 4x50 R:15, then a 200

On the first 50, swim your normal stroke at a moderate pace, count your total strokes and get your time in seconds, then add them together. This is your "handicap". (Example: 33 strokes + 35 seconds = 68)

On the next 50, increase your stroke count (keep track), get your time and add them together. How'd you compare to your handicap? If it's better, increase your stroke count again on the 3rd 50, add, compare, etc. If the 2nd 50 is worse than your handicap, decrease your stroke count and compare. Do the last 50 in the opposite direction as the 2nd (if you increased count, decrease or vice versa). Swim the whole 200 with a stroke count equal to your best 50. (I couldn't do this, my stroke count increased by 1/lap each 50, but it's a good goal.) (Example: 32 strokes + 36 seconds = 68 again; 34 strokes + 34 seconds = 68 again; 30 strokes + 40 seconds = 70) It's tempting to take the fastest time, but it's less efficient so you probably won't be able to maintain it! I managed a 32+35 for 67 my 3rd time through, but couldn't take the slow turnover for the entire 200.

The set is meant to help you dial in your "ideal" glide. Everyone has their own ideal stroke count, but it might not be what you think it is!

Cheers,
Trish
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Here's a fun swim set Rss Feed